FreddyD

Is Noah Sewell Regressing?

Just wondering what you duck fans think about the play of Noah Sewell over the last three or four games (going back to last season)?He seemed so dominant when he first got to Oregon but to me it seems like his play has been steadily regressing. He was basically non existent yesterday. Have teams just learned how to game plan around him or is something wrong with him? At the end of last year I thought maybe he was just banged up with some minor nagging injuries from a long season, but that logic can't account for yesterday.

He’ 260 and slower

He isn't regressing but teams are wising up and attacking him with the pass game instead of running at him.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/4/2022 at 7:21 PM, DazeNconfused said:

He isn't regressing but teams are wising up and attacking him with the pass game instead of running at him.

Maybe time to move him to another position.

On 9/4/2022 at 7:26 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Maybe time to move him to another position.

Our defense has a ton highly rated talent. After we fix our DBs open field tacking and cover scheme, Lanning may have to move some guys around to get more speed in pass coverage at the Jack and middle LBs. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think we are seeing guys getting use to a new group of coaches. It also seems our D-line isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I heard it described as our guys weigh as much as their guys, but their guys carry their weight with speed and force. Ours not so much.

Maybe the offseason training wasn't all what it should have been, time will tell.

At one point in the third quarter our d-line had that woeful look of "someone else is going to have to make a play because I'm tired of pushing".  Not surprising to see Georgia convert 9 out of 10 third down conversions when there is so little apparent pressure from the defensive line.

Edited by John Charles

On 9/4/2022 at 2:51 PM, FreddyD said:

He seemed so dominant when he first got to Oregon but to me it seems like his play has been steadily regressing.

Sewell was actually lost on field during his first season which was in part due to the pandemic and a limited amount of practices.  He struggled with learning the playbook and reading the defense.  It wasn't till the following season that he would make his presence felt.  Then, he became the beast that disrupts and terrorizes offenses and has progressed every season since.  That is until this last game which was a huge letdown. 

In fact, one could argue that he was Oregon's most consistent and impactful player last season, not Kayvon Thibodeaux.  Although in KT's defense, the relentless pressure that he put on most opposing O-lines and QBs, sometimes being double-teamed,  helped to free up and create many of those opportunities for guys like Sewell to feast and make plays.

On 9/5/2022 at 7:20 PM, DuckIt said:

Sewell was actually lost on field during his first season which was in part due to the pandemic and a limited amount of practices.  He struggled with learning the playbook and reading the defense.  It wasn't till the following season that he would make his presence felt.  Then, he became the beast that disrupts and terrorizes offenses and has progressed every season since.  That is until this last game which was a huge letdown. 

In fact, one could argue that he was Oregon's most consistent and impactful player last season, not Kayvon Thibodeaux.  Although in KT's defense, the relentless pressure that he put on most opposing O-lines and QBs, sometimes being double-teamed,  helped to free up and create many of those opportunities for guys like Sewell to feast and make plays.

The last paragraph above is very insightful in my opinion.

Also: answer to the question has Noah regressed--No. I think that Georgia OC Todd Monken was probably scheming away from Noah all game. It wouldn't be very smart on his part to go directly at the other team's  best defender. Noah will become that beast again, I can almost guarantee it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I listen to a fair number of college football podcasts during the offseason as I like to put a nickel or dime on a game once the shots are fired. One run by two guys I respect a lot predicted that Sewell would be lost against a passing attack.

Alas, it came to pass.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:50 AM, cartm25 said:

It appears, IMO, that our DL can't be improved much via "development"; they are what they are physically by now (at least the older players). The raw physical talent gap between the Ducks' and GA's DLine is staggering. 

Technique also comes into play and that can always be improved upon.  But , yeah, this is what everybody is saying including Kirby Smart.  It'll be up to Lanning and staff to change this with recruiting.  Not sure how they'er going to be able to out-recruit the SEC teams though.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/6/2022 at 8:49 AM, cartm25 said:

IMO, the advantage of better "technique" is most apparent when the physical talent is nearly even (see BYU game coming up).

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said in the above post.  Talent will always be the deciding factor when all else is roughly equal (facilities, coaching, techniques, strategy, etc.).  

In the meantime, I'm silently pleading with fans, coaches and players NOT to overlook the Eagles coming up just because BYU is looming in the background.  Oregon should not have to struggle with EWU but after what we all saw last week a real statement has to be made - if it can be.

Eastern Washington is the most important game right now because it's next game, right now.  At least Mario C had that right - one game at a time.

• Thumbs Up 2