Steven A

Pop Oregon Quiz (And You Can't Say Neither)

Would you rather be a top 10 team and lose a game you should have won to a non-rated team, or big a former top 11/12 team and get taken to the woodshed and obliterated by one of the, if not the best, team in the nation?

I'll go with our outcome.  Nowhere to go but up.  Expectations now grounded.  No more 12 - 1 / 11 - 2 fantasies (Ok, maybe 11 -2). 

Until Oregon is in the Big 10 I'll strongly be in favor of playing teams like Georgia. Our offensive and defensive lines looked pretty rough. As far as I'm aware, those are weak points in our recruiting arsenal as well. Oregon absolutely must pay top dollar for the biggest and best line players.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:26 PM, 2002duck said:

Until Oregon is in the Big 10 I'll strongly be in favor of playing teams like Georgia. Our offensive and defensive lines looked pretty rough. As far as I'm aware, those are weak points in our recruiting arsenal as well. Oregon absolutely must pay top dollar for the biggest and best line players.

First the original question: woodshed loss to the standard is good because you know how much work you have to do. If you've got any winner mentality in you'll want to eventually inflict that much pain on your opponents sometimes this season.

As far as the lineman: we ran the ball well Saturday - so I'm am surprisingly please with the OL.  Also NO SACKS.  

I am disappointed with the DL, especially because they were so undisciplined.  They committed the most serious error as far as I'm in concerned: they did not set the edge.  Obviously, they are not Bama or Georgia caliber.  They did handle the running game well enough.  No pass rush.  No nastiness on in that group...yet 

The secondary was a disaster.  For the life of me, you cannot make plays thirty yards down field.  A wide out is either going to beat you on a fade or a post.  You can't be that slow to run thirty yards past the LOS to cover those two routes.  

But back to the lineman, they don't bother me.  This game proved the team doesn't have the mental aspect of the game down to play to their skill level.  They are talented enough to annihilate every damn team they face from this point on, most especially BYU and Utah.  

They have two weeks to develop the mental aspect to beat up BYU.  

Most of you will disagree with my opinion.  But remember they beat tOSU in their house, undermanned.  Utah obviously didn't do that, and BYU will never do that.  We did.  And it's not just because we already have, it's "why haven't we play to our level of talent the past five games"?  

It's mental.  These kids need to get their mental aspect correct.  They're trying too hard.  They're thinking too much. They're doubting themselves too much.  This is a Zen thing right now.  I truly believe that.

• Thumbs Up 1