Desert Duck

Kirby Smart - 2016 First Season at Georgia

Because I’m such a glass-half-full kind of a guy…

I thought I would point out that in 2016, Kirby Smart, in his first and only head coaching job, went 8-5 in his first season at Georgia --- which included losing to the likes of Vanderbilt.

The next season he had them in the National Championship where they very nearly beat ‘Bama. And they’ve been in the BCS Championship Playoffs every year since (I don’t count the 2020 Covid Season as a ‘real season').

So, there’s my best attempt at providing a glass-half-full outlook.

I think everyone, including myself, though this was going to be a super fast turn around with Lanning. 

It won't be quite as quick as we wanted. 

On 9/5/2022 at 3:11 PM, Desert Duck said:

Because I’m such a glass-half-full kind of a guy…

I thought I would point out that in 2016, Kirby Smart, in his first and only head coaching job, went 8-5 in his first season at Georgia --- which included losing to the likes of Vanderbilt.

The next season he had them in the National Championship where they very nearly beat ‘Bama. And they’ve been in the BCS Championship Playoffs every year since (I don’t count the 2020 Covid Season as a ‘real season').

So, there’s my best attempt at providing a glass-half-full outlook.

We’ve contended every year since, but have only made the playoff twice.  I agree with your point though.  

Edited by SoGaDawg

On 9/5/2022 at 12:14 PM, SoGaDawg said:

We’ve contended every year since, but have only made the playoff twice.  I agree with your point though.  

Thanks for the correction. 4 BCS games, with 2 of those being NC games. 

His winning percentage of 84% while playing in the SEC, is crazy. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Earlier this year Coach Lanning referred to "watering the bamboo."

A Chinese bamboo tree takes five years to grow. It has to be watered and fertilized in the ground where it has been planted every day. It doesn't break through the ground for five years. After five years, once it breaks through the ground, it will grow 90 feet tall in five weeks!

While I hope it will be sooner than five years, I also didn't expect to see major improvements right away. One game at a time.

• Thumbs Up 3

So... MC proved you can recruit high talent to Oregon. Dan Lanning and his staff have proven they can recruit at a high level. 

2 years and Lanning will be knocking on the door. UGA is a freak. Oregon can still make an NY6 game this year. Oregon will be just fine.

• Thumbs Up 5

At the end of the game, I told a friend, "I would not be surprised if Oregon goes undefeated the rest of the way."

I have several reasons for thinking it is possible.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/5/2022 at 2:47 PM, Jon Sousa said:

At the end of the game, I told a friend, "I would not be surprised if Oregon goes undefeated the rest of the way."

I have several reasons for thinking it is possible.

Well, lets hear them

On 9/5/2022 at 2:59 PM, Log Haulin said:

Well, lets hear them

A couple off the top...

We have very good players (tops in the PAC-12) who were totally embarrassed by a much better team on national television with everyone watching. They are going to do everything they can to never let that happen again. Now they know they are not as good as they thought they were. They will work hard and get better. Coaches too.

There is no one Oregon is going to play through the regular season that is even close to as good as Georgia.

Subpoint to the above> What team are we going to face has the offensive and defensive lines that Georgia has, that will be able to win the battles that Georgia won against the Ducks last Saturday??? Our defense threw everything they had at them (all the things we have been studying here) and Georgia had an answer every time, like they knew what was coming and thwarted it every time (that was scheme as well as horsepower). Other teams will TRY to do what Georgia did, but they are not Georgia and will not be able to.

The coaching staff has lots of film to study and can see their own failures as well as the weaknesses of the players... all areas to improve.

We have Eastern Washington to get healthy on (mind and scheme) before the next challenge.

We have two weeks before BYU, one of the biggest tests left. BYU is not Georgia. They are good, but the Ducks are better. Ducks should be favored. One game at a time. Every game the Ducks win will increase their confidence and their skill level.

Justin Flowe made it through the first game without a season ending injury. Bassa was a scare, but everyone came out of the weekend pretty healthy.

The Ducks coaches called a pretty good game, Georgia coaches called a better one. Name a team whose coaches are as good as what we saw in Georgia's on Saturday.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/5/2022 at 9:58 PM, Jon Sousa said:

A couple off the top...

We have very good players (tops in the PAC-12) who were totally embarrassed by a much better team on national television with everyone watching. They are going to do everything they can to never let that happen again. Now they know they are not as good as they thought they were. They will work hard and get better. Coaches too.

There is no one Oregon is going to play through the regular season that is even close to as good as Georgia.

Subpoint to the above> What team are we going to face has the offensive and defensive lines that Georgia has, that will be able to win the battles that Georgia won against the Ducks last Saturday??? Our defense threw everything they had at them (all the things we have been studying here) and Georgia had an answer every time, like they knew what was coming and thwarted it every time (that was scheme as well as horsepower). Other teams will TRY to do what Georgia did, but they are not Georgia and will not be able to.

The coaching staff has lots of film to study and can see their own failures as well as the weaknesses of the players... all areas to improve.

We have Eastern Washington to get healthy on (mind and scheme) before the next challenge.

We have two weeks before BYU, one of the biggest tests left. BYU is not Georgia. They are good, but the Ducks are better. Ducks should be favored. One game at a time. Every game the Ducks win will increase their confidence and their skill level.

Justin Flowe made it through the first game without a season ending injury. Bassa was a scare, but everyone came out of the weekend pretty healthy.

The Ducks coaches called a pretty good game, Georgia coaches called a better one. Name a team whose coaches are as good as what we saw in Georgia's on Saturday.

I agree.  Saturday’s game surprised me, but it was the first game with all new coaches.  UGA looked like a buzz saw, and it’s unfortunate that they were the first game opponent.  The game might have been a bit different if played later in the season.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Something that needs to be considered is how well Kirby Smart knows Dan Lanning and how he thinks.    The teacher  plain outsmarted the student. Thing will get better,  and i believe sooner rather than later,

On 9/6/2022 at 9:18 AM, florida duck said:

Something that needs to be considered is how well Kirby Smart knows Dan Lanning and how he thinks.    The teacher  plain outsmarted the student. Thing will get better,  and i believe sooner rather than later,

To build on that, how many tries did it take for one of Saban's former assistants to beat him? 

In total, Saban racked up 25 wins and 0 losses to his former assistants until last year.  The first one was Jimbo at A&M and then Kirby in the NC game.  Kirby was 0 for 4 prior to that. 

Not pointing this out to say that Kirby is nearly as good as Saban, but just to say that the student beating the teacher with the same blueprint is not an easy task.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great perspective noting Smart’s first season, Desert Duck. Thank you. 

Edited by Drex Heikes

I will counter, and say we may do well as longs the turnover differential goes in our favor.

There was no way we were going to beat Georgia with two pics in the first three times with the ball. We may lose to a few teams we should beat if we do the same as the season progresses. 

You play an EWU early in the season because you know there is a good chance there will be mistakes at that point in the development of a team.

What we actually need to do is turn the tables on the turnover ratio and have the defense get a few.  

That is what I will be watching in the next few games.

It is also why the qb play will be critical to our season. If Nix gets a boneheaded pick by EWU then his snaps should dwindle, or end.

Ken Woody referred to pad level in his after-game article. He's been referring to the pad levels for a few years now. When are the coaches and players going to pay attention to pad levels!?! 😄

On 9/6/2022 at 2:27 PM, Annie said:

Ken Woody referred to pad level in his after-game article. He's been referring to the pad levels for a few years now. When are the coaches and players going to pay attention to pad levels!?! 😄

Yep.  It was a good article, and he referred to our defenders not getting lined up right?  Whew!

The pad level in football is like winning an argument on the web outside of this forum; whoever is lower, wins!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck