FishDuck Article

From the Bleachers: A Silver Linings Playbook to Oregon’s Smackdown Loss

A blowout loss like the Ducks suffered Saturday gives two false indicators: The winning team isn’t truly as good as it appeared and the losing team isn’t as bad. Kirby Smart knows that sports axiom, which is why he is working to suppress thoughts that his team is ready for the next Natty. And Dan Lanning is trying to keep ...

FISHDUCK.COM

A blowout loss like the Ducks suffered Saturday gives two false indicators: The winning team isn't truly as good as it appeared and the losing...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I appreciate any silver lining article at this point and that’s coming from a young “grey beard” who has sat through many beat downs of the Ducks at the hands of a superior opponent.

But I must say that more and more I find myself resigned to the thought that, although Oregon can be a very good team, a national championship will be out of their reach.

I feel the Chip Kelly revolution was their closest opportunity as it caught the blue bloods off guard. Now they have all caught

up and surpassed the Ducks scheme advantage. 

Everything I have been reading about Dan Lanning I like and I’m looking forward to seeing where he takes the program. I even like  most of the uniforms. But there is another side of me that wonders if all of the things that attracts some of these recruits with the flash and glitz of the uniforms and facilities also causes them to be soft and complacent after arrival.

I will continue to root on my ducks as I have for the past 50 years and I am hoping to be proved wrong with my pessimism of the Ducks ever winning a National championship. Thank you so much for the positive articles along the way!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Indeed, Drex.

ONWARD Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This article nails just what I was thinking and trying to say on another post of mine. What is the deal with the backup QBs? Are they trash? Not developing? Is Nix (aka Pix) that much better? 

Unless someone on this site has inside information (would love to hear from you) on our backup QBs I have to believe there is some talent there. I don’t expect to see a Marcus or Herbert, but do we know until they see the game time?

Every educated football fan knows there are those players that practice so-so but kill it on the field come game day. How do we know that TT or JB aren’t one of those? Also how do we even know what we have if we’re not willing to give them a chance? 

Come on… we see that Nix practices well but that play clearly doesn’t translate to the field. He’s in his 4th year and still looks unsure, panicky and makes questionable decisions. I wanted Nix to be the answer for this year… but it looks like we got the same player Auburn was going to bench.

Those of us that watch and support the Bellotti years saw players on the field based on seniority and not on talent. I’m really hoping Lanning is more of the CK mentality of best player period plays. 

I always have and always will support my Ducks through thick and thin… I’d rather take a black eye this year and be better for it developing some young talent. The bandaid of Nix is temporary and will be pulled off, we all know a quick pull is far better than a slow peel.

Go Ducks and have a great day.

• Go Ducks! 1

If a team is going to lose one game in a season, my choice is the first game of the season to a strong team,  rather than to a "weaker" team, or go undefeated and then lose during a conference championship or bowl game.

A team can learn a lot from a wake up call early. 

Win or learn.

Go Ducks!

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't believe DL will remain with Bo for long. EWU is not a fair evaluation. But, BYU will be all the info Coach needs. 

Back to the presser. I would expect no other reply from Coach than Bo is our guy. That's not the time to be talking next man up. DL has to evaluate the tape first and not be passively bashing his team before a long ride home. "it's on me" was the right call. 

Is Butters not good enough for a series, Is TyThom? I will hang my hat on the 'put the backup in when the game is lost' mantra. I am reminded of not so long ago that the Beavers did the exact same thing. Opening half starting QB was not garnering rave reviews. Second half came out with the backup and he took the reigns for the season. Point is, Fall ball is not season ball. Naming a starter in camp doesn't mean you have to stay with them. 

Just a thought.

• Thumbs Up 4

In hindsight, with the two back-to-back losses to a 'decent' Utah team and now this loss, Cristobal didn't build as good a team as we might have thought.  This makes the win last year in Columbus all the more remarkable - and puzzling.  

As DC for the Bulldogs, Lanning drew up game plans against Nix and Auburn at least twice. He knows every weakness and tendency of his current starting QB and elected to start him against his former team (and HC) Saturday over the two younger QBs.

While not quite a catastrophe, as the whuppin' at the hands of Georgia was a team effort, Nix exhibited his known flaws. If DL and the coaching staff opt to stick with him, then there is a lack of game time confidence in TT and Butters that may not change as the season rolls forward. 

Edited by Smith72
Spacing

Thanks Drex, I agree with most all of your thoughts and analysis of that painful game. Thank you for taking the time to assemble and present your thoughts.

IMHO, I do not feel that Coach Lanning and Dilly were playing to the strengths of the players on offense. The lineman's skill set and strength is run blocking. When the Ducks ran the ball they had moderate success. On one of the other OBDF threads it was mentioned the Ducks averaged 4.9 yards per rush. Thats almost double what any team has mustered against the Dawgs D since 2019. Run blocking for a stable of solid running backs is the number 1 strong suit of this offense. Keep running until they stop you. When they put 8 in the box yhen throw the darn ball. WTH?

When Dilly, got impatient and forced it downfield he asked his players to use skill sets they do not have. The Ducks lineman do not have quick feet. They cannot slide laterally and pick up blitzing backers. This played into Georgia's greatest asset, their front 7.  Think back to the Duck spring game. How many sacks did the D get when sending an extra rusher? Too many............In the spring gane the O line could not move laterally fast enough. How was it going to be different against the Dawgs or any 2022 Duck opponent?

There's plenty of Auburn game film for Coach Lanning and Dilly to see that shows Bo Nix does not perform well under pressure. He makes poor decisions and forces his throws. Dilly called plays with no backs into block Bo did not even have time to set his feet. This game plan is directly on the coaches. They asked their players to execute a game plan that required them to use skills they do not possess. The coaches on this Forum know you can teach technique. Can you teach quick feet?

The Duck spring game also revealed the secondary lacks experience. All 3-QB's had a great day passing. So did Stetson Bennet. Should be noted that Bennet hit pinpoint passes in his spring game. He did it against tight covereage and intense, relentless pressure. Imagine what he would do in a game with no tight coverage? When the Ducks got pressure on Bennett he slipped out and too often hit a wide open receiver. Easy peasy.. .. .

Once the Dawgs realized the Ducks could not set the edges the entire Dawg playbook was wide open. The Dawgs avoided the Duck D strength and destoyed the secondary. It wont be the last game this season that the Dawgs destroy a team.

Kirby and his staff schooled Coach Lanning and his staff. 15 Five stars helped alot. Remember Saban has destroyed almost all his former coaches. ODB's just played one of those former coaches who schooled Saban. No disgrace losing big to Georgia. HEC they may run the table and go back to back.

What matters is how this coaching staff rallies these wonderful players. Can they develope them and restore their confidence? Can and will the coaches learn valuable lessions from this beat down?

Yes they can. GO DUCKS.......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

While the labeling of our current signal caller as “crippled gunslinger” and “face-planting starter” are being applauded, perhaps name tags should be assigned to the rest of the group as well.  You know, the receivers that couldn’t separate, the DB’s that couldn’t cover, and pass rushers that couldn’t get home.  How ‘bout them? 

This is the second coaching staff that is essentially telling you that Ty and Butters are not ready to be the starter, yet we fans know better?  Guess we hired the wrong guy.    

Ty will take over when DL feels he’s ready.  For the time being, DL could blindfold himself, spin 3 times, and then launch a dart at the board of things to work on from game one, and regardless of category it lands on, it will be time well spent. 

Position battles will work themselves out, just as the teams understanding of what DL is trying to implement will take hold.  We ran into a buzzsaw week one.  Things will improve moving forward.   

Note:  I’m not a Nix apologist, and I would love to hear that Ty earned a starting nod.   

• Thumbs Up 1

MassDuck, I hear you in the slowly emerging realization that the Ducks might not ever get there. It’s been creeping into my thoughts for a few years: Kelly was an anomaly, not the next step toward a championship. 

Along those lines, it’s hard to square a 49-3 loss to an SEC opponent with the notion of progress when the Ducks have been competitive in every SEC game for the past two decades. Beat Tennessee twice, split with Miss State, stayed in games til the end with LSU and Auburn twice. 

Then a 49-3 loss with arguably the most talented team in Oregon history?

Jester, I wrote those comments about Nix early Sunday morning (I’m on road 

with spotty connection) and in hindsight, they seem harsh. I meant to characterize the result not the person. I do not believe in insulting players. 

EWU at home is going to be the kind of test Lanning should have had in his first game as a head coach.

The following week playing BYU is the perfect step up in challenge to begin to see how well the Ducks can play.

I look forward to seeing the start of the season we should have seen, and forgetting about the mistake of going to a neutral site in Georgia, to play Georgia for our first game.

I also look forward to seeing the beginning of the true qb competition. Nix was brought in to deal with playing Georgia. Nobody should start their first game playing away against the National Title winner. Bo failed in his first test.

If Bo struggles against EWU, we will see the competition begin in earnest. We are also going to begin to see the Lanning era begin starting this weekend. This team might as well consider itself 0-0, with a crazy preseason lesson.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I understand much of the quarterback discussion....the truth is that the defense is what lost the game.  If the defense makes some stops--Oregon has many more opportunities to score, and things might have gone better for the offense.  No, it does not excuse many of the offensive mistakes, but the way the defense played...we had no chance to win.

Clemson only scored 3 points last year against Georgia, but because they had a great defense--it kept them in the game with only a 10-3 loss.  I think we have a lot further to go on defense than offense, and I am quite surprised at that between all the experienced talent in the front seven, and a defensive guru coach.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/6/2022 at 9:39 AM, Charles Fischer said:

While I understand much of the quarterback discussion....the truth is that the defense is what lost the game.  If the defense makes some stops--Oregon has many more opportunities to score, and things might have gone better for the offense.  No, it does not excuse many of the offensive mistakes, but the way the defense played...we had no chance to win.

Clemson only scored 3 points last year against Georgia, but because they had a great defense--it kept them in the game with only a 10-3 loss.  I think we have a lot further to go on defense than offense, and I am quite surprised at that between all the experienced talent in the front seven, and a defensive guru coach.

Oregon's first three offensive opportunities, punt, interception, interception. If the defense was given more support out of the gate by the offense we may have seen a different defense.

I get the Oregon defense didn't shine, but they had no support from our qb, and our offense didn't get much either. The qb discussion is on point in my opinion. The qb sets the tone for the offense and defense, and Bo needs to lead us forward or get out of the way.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

While I understand much of the quarterback discussion....the truth is that the defense is what lost the game.

To support that sentiment, a stat was posted following GA’s 7th TD that stated this was only the 2nd time in 15 years, in a match-up of Top 25 teams, that one team scored TDs on their first 7 consecutive possessions. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Throwing picks when you really are not being pressured is a mistake that you expect young QBs to make. Unfortunately, a change of venue for Nix didn’t change the problems he has had in the past. 

I can understand not pulling Nix from the game. I think DL does not want any QB to be looking over their shoulder expecting a substitution every time a mistake is made. You need to show your QB confidence.

They deserve it. Until it is no longer deserved. 

However, Bo Nix did not lose the game single-handedly. It took an entire team and coaching staff effort to get embarrassed in Atlanta. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/6/2022 at 1:25 PM, Drake said:

However, Bo Nix did not lose the game single-handedly. It took an entire team and coaching staff effort to get embarrassed in Atlanta.

Amen.

Mr. FishDuck

I do hope Nix can improve, but the one interception was spectacular by freshman Starks.

UGAWIRE.USATODAY.COM

What a play by the true freshman

On 9/6/2022 at 9:39 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Totally agree here. The defense couldn't get a stop. 7 possessions, 7 touchdowns. The interesting thing to me is that, with two interceptions, why did Georgia only have 7 possessions? Only two possible answers: Georgia took a lot of time to score, but they threw the ball successfully the whole first half (and some in the second)... and Oregon had some success in moving the ball and therefore ate up some clock.

I'll take that last point as a positive. 

Thanks Drex, 

finally some sanity from the bleacher section.

The sky is not falling. We've lost won game to a really, really good, well coached, uber talented, experienced team.

And we lost really badly. 

So, moving forward, we move forward. 

67 of UGA's 85 schollies are blue-chip studs. All playing in schemes they know quite well. We, on the other hand, have a ways to go.

It should be fun and educational to watch the growth of our team through this season. Now, with tempered, realistic expectations, we can more enjoy all these games, win or lose.

I don't think Bo Nix played that bad of a game. The 2nd pic was not a good throw, but we moved the ball pretty good at spots. We had 313 yds and over 140 rushing.

It was the right decision not to play backups. Being thrashed on the road against that team is too much a baptism by fire IMHO. 

I don't understand the RB situation. Dollars and Cardwell had best results and got fewest touches.

What of Seven?

It seems like he got benched after trying to run back that opening kickoff and only gaining 15 yds. We took touch backs there after. 

No one should have expected Bo to be a Heisman candidate. Steson Bennett on the other hand, is one. And he played like it. His throws, his ball fakes, his timing were all spot on. He put on a clinic of outstanding qb play.

I think our issue with BN, is that SB played so well, we have qb envy.

Especially with Marcus in the house, our memories didn't match play on the field.

I for one will flush that loss and look forward to EWU. And, I'm so glad we aren't playing on that horrid red field!

On 9/6/2022 at 2:14 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Totally agree here. The defense couldn't get a stop. 7 possessions, 7 touchdowns. The interesting thing to me is that, with two interceptions, why did Georgia only have 7 possessions? Only two possible answers: Georgia took a lot of time to score, but they threw the ball successfully the whole first half (and some in the second)... and Oregon had some success in moving the ball and therefore ate up some clock.

I'll take that last point as a positive. 

GA had 9 possessions. They punted once, then ran 2 plays to end the game when GA put in the 2s and 3s...maybe some 4s and 6s.

On 9/6/2022 at 3:01 PM, DanLduck said:

I don't think Bo Nix played that bad of a game. The 2nd pic was not a good throw, but we moved the ball pretty good at spots. We had 313 yds and over 140 rushing.

It was the right decision not to play backups. Being thrashed on the road against that team is too much a baptism by fire IMHO. 

I don't understand the RB situation. Dollars and Cardwell had best results and got fewest touches.

What of Seven?

It seems like he got benched after trying to run back that opening kickoff and only gaining 15 yds. We took touch backs there after. 

No one should have expected Bo to be a Heisman candidate. Steson Bennett on the other hand, is one. And he played like it. His throws, his ball fakes, his timing were all spot on. He put on a clinic of outstanding qb play.

I think our issue with BN, is that SB played so well, we have qb envy.

Especially with Marcus in the house, our memories didn't match play on the field.

I for one will flush that loss and look forward to EWU. And, I'm so glad we aren't playing on that horrid red field!

For perspective, UGA last year gave up average of 78 rush yards pg with a 2.6 ypc. They gave up a total of 3 rushing td all of 2021. Of the six AP top25 opponents UGA faced... one rushing TD given up.

Now it seems the offense has caught up with their defense. Life is good for Dawgs fan. There will be many teams this year that will take a beating from UGA. 

I am going to root for every single one.

On 9/6/2022 at 1:25 PM, Drake said:

Throwing picks when you really are not being pressured is a mistake that you expect young QBs to make. Unfortunately, a change of venue for Nix didn’t change the problems he has had in the past. 

I can understand not pulling Nix from the game. I think DL does not want any QB to be looking over their shoulder expecting a substitution every time a mistake is made. You need to show your QB confidence.

They deserve it. Until it is no longer deserved. 

Putting that first pick on Bo, imo, isn't really fair. That was an amazing defensive play. One of the best plays I have seen in a long time. It was a pretty good throw, the defender made a great play.

For over a year now, we Duck fans have been screaming for Ducks to throw deep. We finally get it, the defender makes a play and now we blame the QB.

Sorry, I can't have it both ways. Bo made a good throw, not perfect but good. Seven is shorter and was out of position.

Defender made a great play, thats not on Nix.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/6/2022 at 4:00 PM, nw777b said:

GA had 9 possessions. They punted once, then ran 2 plays to end the game when GA put in the 2s and 3s...maybe some 4s and 6s.

The AP reported that this is only the 2nd time in Div.I Collegiate football history the a top 20 ranked team gave up 7 consecutive TD's without a stop to another team.  Yeah, it was that bad and to be honest it looked liked if he had wanted to, Kirby Smart could have made it 8 straight TD's. 

I also did some math and came up with the dismal fact that in the two Utah games at the end of last year and this 1st one, Oregon scored a total of 20 points while giving up 125 !  We also lost the bowl game in between the Utah losses and Georgia.  I just couldn't remember the score.

On 9/6/2022 at 12:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Can’t compare UGA this year to last years team. Last year we had some very bad men on defense and some stayed for their senior year making our D even more  potent. This season it’s the opposite, our D is playing 7 new starters and rather young, struggling to find its way while the offense is really potent and coulda scored a lot more than 49.  I think your Achilles heal on defense is your young DB’s, but they will grow up fast. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/6/2022 at 6:40 PM, Mic said:

The AP reported that this is only the 2nd time in Div.I Collegiate football history the a top 20 ranked team gave up 7 consecutive TD's without a stop to another team.  Yeah, it was that bad and to be honest it looked liked if he had wanted to, Kirby Smart could have made it 8 straight TD's. 

I also did some math and came up with the dismal fact that in the two Utah games at the end of last year and this 1st one, Oregon scored a total of 20 points while giving up 125 !  We also lost the bowl game in between the Utah losses and Georgia.  I just couldn't remember the score.

I was simply clarifying there were more than 7 GA possessions. 

• Cool 1