FishDuck Article

Good News, Duck Fans: We’re Going to the Rose Bowl

One of our writers, David Marsh, gives another take on Oregon’s loss to Georgia.

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon's loss to Georgia is going to sting for quite some time to come, as bad losses always do. But this wouldn't be the first time Oregon...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

David said, "They were unpleasant to experience for fans, coaches and players alike — but the team learned major lessons from those games."

I agree with this.  It is best to learn these lessons earlier with a young team.  The teaching that is occurring now will result in more growth.  Ownership of this in practice will better serve the players in games.

Saban and Smart credit the Derecruitment of "stars" in their successful programs.  The Georgia loss is a major attention getter in this process.

I have faith that Oregon's coaches are doing this as they teach our talented young Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/7/2022 at 6:02 AM, cartm25 said:

I’m cautiously optimistic, but not quite that optimistic. I don’t think the Rose Bowl is in the cards this year—and maybe not until USC leaves the conference, assuming the “Rose Bowl” as we know it is still a thing.

Not going to lie... I'm pumping some sunshine this week. But I also feel that the season is no where near over and anything can happen. 

We have BYU next week which will be an early test. Then we have Washington State which is a good time of year for that game being early fall and they didn't look terribly great against Idaho. 

So by the time we hit perhaps the meat of our schedule the players have been tested and are hardened vets. 

To get to the Rose Bowl does not require winning all the non-conference games but it will require winning the conference. And right now we can still win the conference. 

I get the feeling this coaching staff doesn't like to sit still for too long and they are working hard at fixing all the problems they can. 

Eastern Washington this week will be interesting to see just the coaches have managed to fix in a week. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

David, thanks for the article and presenting an optimistic view. At this point, so early in the season, well anything is possible.

As a fan its fun to look ahead and be positive. Looking forward, speculating and pondering all the possibilities. Last Saturday all those possibilities came crashing down. Not because we got run over by a speeding train but because the coaches and players had no answer. Simply no answer........

Now we are in a new week with a new opponent. A fresh start in front of 58,000 passionate fans. The players have a new chance to tackle better, cover better, run better routes, pass block better, make better decisions and execute the game plan. The coaching staff can build a game plan that utilizes the strengths and skill sets of their current roster. It truly is all ahead for the team just one game at a time.

The 2023 Rose Bowl is not in January for this Duck team. The Rose Bowl is this Saturday vs EWU. Then the Rose Bowl is the following week vs BYU. Then vs WSU. Nothing less than 12 straight weekly Rose Bowl victories will have this team in Pasadena.

I am rooting for and positive the players and coaches will grow together and can make this happen. Together they will determine if its Rose, Alamo, Holiday or Toilet Bowl.

Afterall, the SEC,BIG and espn held a funeral and declared yhe 2022 Ducks dead and buried. Not for one minute, does this happy duck fan believe that. This team needs our total support. I believe they will make us proud. GO DUCKS 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sometimes cliches don't always work. Sean Dollars said that the team needs to get 1% better every practice. After getting beat 49-3 I think to reach their goals they need to improve at a higher rate than 1% per practice! Would say they need to improve by 75% by the time they play BYU. I have faith they can get it done. They do have talent and the new coaches will help them find their way. Stay optimistic fans.

On 9/7/2022 at 7:48 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

The players have a new chance to tackle better, cover better, run better routes, pass block better, make better decisions and execute the game plan. The coaching staff can build a game plan that utilizes the strengths and skill sets of their current roster. It truly is all ahead for the team just one game at a time.

I think the coverage against Georgia may have been deliberately a bit softer underneath. I think some of the goal was to bend but don't break against Georgia, now that obviously didn't work. But I do feel there may have been some fear of getting beat over the top and by having the safeties so far back at the snap that they wanted to prevent this. On the whole Georgia didn't go over the top on Oregon's defense, they had to score in the red zone. 

Now Georgia did that just fine which hurts. 

But what I will be curious to see is if there is some more physical coverage closer to the line of scrimmage this week when there isn't a clear talent advantage on the opposing offense at receiver. I'll be more concerned this week if we see soft coverage underneath again this week. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/7/2022 at 8:46 AM, LADuck said:

Sometimes cliches don't always work. Sean Dollars said that the team needs to get 1% better every practice. After getting beat 49-3 I think to reach their goals they need to improve at a higher rate than 1% per practice! Would say they need to improve by 75% by the time they play BYU. I have faith they can get it done. They do have talent and the new coaches will help them find their way. Stay optimistic fans.

I don't think a bunch of the players were embracing that mentality until last week's beat down.

• Thumbs Up 1

After the Georgia game there's nowhere to go but up for Oregon. I don't know if USC would have been beaten 49-3 by Georgia, but laying 66 on Rice doesn't reveal a lot about Riley's team either, nor does UW's handing of Kent State.

The guys in Las Vegas didn't get this one right, by a long way, they had the spread coming down. So, hand it to Georgia. I'm hoping that Cooper Kupp ll isn't on EWU this season and the Ducks can let out their frustration on the EWU Eagles. 

• Thumbs Up 1

David...thank you for the article, as we need a little positive perspective.  We can still be in the Rose Bowl!

Defense in the Rose Bowl_Eugene Johnson.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Ducks could very easily be a legit top 10 team this year that needs just a couple more weeks to have the new system installed and techniques and details understood. I'm not going to underestimate the overwhelming challenge the team had in week one. A top 10 fighter still would have been knocked out in the first round against Mike Tyson.

I could see them work things out next week, have just enough to get by BYU, then build momentum for a strong finish.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Then there was 1994.  Started out with a victory over Portland State but then lost to both Hawaii and Utah (both ugly losses)........

After that it was a bad loss to WSU Oct 8 but went undefeated & won the Pac 10 and went to the Rose Bowl on Jan 2, 1995.  

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good article Marsh. This year's team is different than last years. The 2021 team had been in system on offense for two years, the defense was almost the same scheme. The Ducks went into OSU and got the win. But the Ducks were as good as they were going to be early in the year, they didn't grow and improve.

This year's team and news schemes on both sides of the ball and just got schooled by the Champs. The Duck players now know how good you have to be to be elite. 

The Ducks should get better every week as the year goes on -- and I agree the Pac title is still to play for. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/7/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

One of our writers, David Marsh, gives another take on Oregon’s loss to Georgia.

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon's loss to Georgia is going to sting for quite some time to come, as bad losses always do. But this wouldn't be the first time Oregon...

As much as I enjoy (and respect) your analysis (like the above article) I think comparing Georgia to a a"bottom tier NFL team' is stretching things a mite, David.  Yeah, they're pretty good, darned good for a college team, but college teams are absolutely no comparison to any NFL team.

However, I get what you're saying; but I don't share your enthusiasm for the Ducks chances to get to the Rose Bowl.  I do share your sentiments.  Maybe things will look better after we play (and beat!) EWU, BYU and WSU convincingly.  

First things first.

On 9/7/2022 at 4:09 PM, Mic said:

but college teams are absolutely no comparison to any NFL team.

I was just pondering this last night. Last year's Jacksonville Jaguars were bad, really bad. I don't know for sure if they'd run Georgia off the field, or Alabama a couple of years ago. Are the Jacksonville Jaguars a team of 5 stars that would overwhelm the Bulldogs like they did the Ducks?

College football has walked itself to this point; but, they at least seem to be doing something about it with the expanded playoff in the works.

The Duck's goal needs to be win the Pac-12 and hope for a lot of carnage amongst the top 10.

(Non playoff) New Year's six games are going the way of all the other bowls, mostly meaningless. Yes, even the Rose Bowl.

Made for TV live sports events they want to sell to TV? Of course networks still try to hype it. Even try to sell tradition and the game matters maters. It isn't fooling too many college football fans anymore. It's either the playoffs - or a glorified scrimmage between teams who didn't get it done - in a random bowl. Telling fans it's a big deal isn't working anymore.

Rose Bowl:  Oregon versus Michigan? Oregon versus Penn State? 

From the collective world of college football it will be zzzzzzzzzs and mostly all but devoted fans and hardcore college football types will care. Top players likely sit. The trend with lower bowls is working it's way up.

It's playoffs or bust, but at least we may have 12 teams, if not 16 teams (plus contenders), still playing meaningful games late in the year. Plus ALL the tourney games will not be exhibitions but will matter. Instead of 3 playoff games that matter we will see between 11 and 15 (depending on structure). Only downside is too many blow-outs.

Don't get me wrong, I wish there was some great consolation prize for non play-off teams for football. It just hasn't materialized, and much like NCAA basketball tournament there is a reason there is no consolation set of events that generates much interest. Non-playoff New Year's bowls hung around as somewhat meaningful for a while based on long histories, but were destined to fall to the waste side. Most likely a few will be rolled into playoff sites.

Edited by AnotherOD

On 9/7/2022 at 4:23 PM, 30Duck said:

I was just pondering this last night. Last year's Jacksonville Jaguars were bad, really bad. I don't know for sure if they'd run Georgia off the field, or Alabama a couple of years ago. Are the Jacksonville Jaguars a team of 5 stars that would overwhelm the Bulldogs like they did the Ducks?

It's just my opinion but I think Georgia would lose a significant number of players to injury before the end of the 1st Half.  Talk about a talent disparity, a strength disparity and an age disparity.  Let alone an experience disparity!  

No, I think the Jacksonville Jags would 'win' a Collegiate National title,  pads down. Thankfully, we should never find out.

Decades ago they had exhibition games with college all-star teams playing a pro team. It was ugly!

A 53 man NFL roster is loaded with the very best players from the college ranks. When they go to work its to practice their profession. The best practicing against the best playing games against the best. Sure glad they stopped those exhibition ganes. LOL

"We’re Going to the Rose Bowl"

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm pretty sure we play UCLA in Eugene this year.  ;-)

But I do like your optimism. Please keep it coming!

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 1