Babyjesus615

Does The Transfer Clock Start Today?

Now that the mystique of the Week One starting lineup has subsided. It appears the staff is no longer interested in hiding who get reps and how many. As of this morning's practice report, there is officially an uneven amount of reps split between Bo Nix and Ty Thompson (also Jay Butterfield).

Does this officially start the transfer clock on Ty Thompson? The outward appearance seems to indicate Ty being relegated into a pure back-up spot and no longer a starting contender. The staff is not comfortable putting him out there when the starter is clearly drowning. Hell, they didn't even consider it; according to Lanning's post-game presser. If he isn't getting a chance this year who, in all seriousness, thinks he is going to wait another year for another QB competition?

You may disagree but I am setting my sights on Stanford v Oregon. This is a team that, as of late, the Ducks have had a hard time putting a ton of point up against. It will be a home game, and if Bo Nix struggles, the crowd may get worked up like we did against Cal last year and start calling for a replacement. If a change isn't made, he is in the portal the following week. If Bo is good and we stack points on Stanford, it becomes apparent that Ty, yet again has no shot at starting and still goes to the portal.

It is a fickle beast the college football world has become. The best we can do is try and read the tea leaves...

The NCAA just changed the Transfer Portal rules. The Portal is closed until after the Conference Championship weekend and Bowl Selections.

The there is a 45-day window that players can go into the Portal. There is a second window May 1-15 after Spring Ball that players can enter the Portal. 

There is no more jumping into the Portal year round.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/7/2022 at 12:15 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Now that the mystique of the Week One starting lineup has subsided. It appears the staff is no longer interested in hiding who get reps and how many. As of this morning's practice report, there is officially an uneven amount of reps split between Bo Nix and Ty Thompson (also Jay Butterfield).

Does this officially start the transfer clock on Ty Thompson? The outward appearance seems to indicate Ty being relegated into a pure back-up spot and no longer a starting contender. The staff is not comfortable putting him out there when the starter is clearly drowning. Hell, they didn't even consider it; according to Lanning's post-game presser. If he isn't getting a chance this year who, in all seriousness, thinks he is going to wait another year for another QB competition?

You may disagree but I am setting my sights on Stanford v Oregon. This is a team that, as of late, the Ducks have had a hard time putting a ton of point up against. It will be a home game, and if Bo Nix struggles, the crowd may get worked up like we did against Cal last year and start calling for a replacement. If a change isn't made, he is in the portal the following week. If Bo is good and we stack points on Stanford, it becomes apparent that Ty, yet again has no shot at starting and still goes to the portal.

It is a fickle beast the college football world has become. The best we can do is try and read the tea leaves...

Iowa desperately needs a QB. They won Saturday 7-3 on a FG and 2 safeties. Home crowd booed their winning team.

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1

If Bo is the best we have, our Ducks are in for a long struggle.

• Yikes! 1

Get Moore in next year and see what he is. TT and JB aren't ready to play now? I doubt they ever will be. 

Hopefully one of them stays and Moore is bona-fide starter. Grab another backup out of the portal.

To me it doesn't matter it they transfer end of year. Lanning needs to start building the team he wants, starting with Moore. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/7/2022 at 2:15 PM, Log Haulin said:

Get Moore in next year and see what he is. TT and JB aren't ready to play now? I doubt they ever will be. 

Hopefully one of them stays and Moore is bona-fide starter. Grab another backup out of the portal.

To me it doesn't matter it they transfer end of year. Lanning needs to start building the team he wants, starting with Moore. 

No more QB transfers from the evil Portal!  This 'portal' thing isn't working out for us very well.  Tyler Shough would have been a better option for us than sticking with Anthony Brown.  No more Portal.  Let's start a chant: 'No - More - Portal',  'No - More - Portal'...'No - More - Portal'...

Recruit!  Develop!  Win!

Edited by Mic

On 9/7/2022 at 12:15 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

It will be a home game, and if Bo Nix struggles, the crowd may get worked up like we did against Cal last year and start calling for a replacement.

That might be you projecting your feelings, but I hope there are not boos for a coach within his first five games.  The boos for Cristobal was in his fourth years with tons of prior game experiences for the fans.

I think Coach Lanning deserves a chance to earn our trust...perhaps not as long as four years, but longer than five games, IMHO.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/7/2022 at 6:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I think Coach Lanning deserves a chance to earn our trust

There were quite a few people in Atlanta clamoring for Ty.  A couple people near me made impromptu signs on cardboard.  It made me wonder how the Autzen crowd will be if Bo struggles like that over the next couple games.  Hopefully they won't boo.

I don't think Bo was horrible. He threw one legit, poor decision pick. The other one was a good throw the defender earned.

Yea, Oregon couldn't get in the endzone. Thats not compleatly on Nix. There are 11 players on Offense, not one. Everybody has to make plays. 

Last years perception of Duck QB play seems to have carried over. Hardly fair after one game against the defending champs. Dawgs might be in the convo as the best in history this year.

I think Bo will have the best year of his career going forward. I will not rush to condemn this team after one throw away game nobody truly thought Oregon could win. 

I picked Oregon in the OBDF contest and talked them up. Threw shade at Dawg fan. Thats what I do as a Duck fanatic. 

I hoped they could compete, They didn't. I hoped they could win, they didn't. In hindsight it is clear why. But Oregon is a good football team. A good program. And Oregon fan will get the last Rah this season.

• Thumbs Up 4

There have been a couple of articles from the FishDuck Feed this past week regarding this topic.

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The folks at @Ducks_Wire, along with everyone else who covers #Pac12 football, has to be asking this question after Bo Nix...

WWW.ADDICTEDTOQUACK.COM

The highly-touted quarterback has yet to make a significant impact for the Ducks.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 4:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

but I hope there are not boos for a coach within his first five games

It isn't boos for a coach I am foreseeing happening. It is the frustration that fans may collectively feel seeing something NOT happen that they believe most people are wanting. I was at the Cal game and the boos happened at one point but the "Ty Thompson" chants happened in a completely different part of the game. I am a Dan Lanning supporter and stated my backing for him in the post about "our thoughts from the Georgia game now that time has passed".

I just whole-heartedly believe a guy can only wait so long for his shot in college football today. I respect the hell out of Ty for staying as long as he has. Maybe he does and I have to eat this post at the end of the season. But I think he's a smart guy and seeing the writing on the wall with Dante (hopefully) coming on next year. I'll hate to see him go as much as anyone else, but I do think its an uncomfortable reality that is approaching.

I continue to find it interesting fans can't see the difference between a back-up playing in a blowout win, and not putting a back-up in when involved in a blowout loss. 

A coach, teacher, mentor should put inexperienced students in situations where they can succeed, and they can grow incrementally. Bo doesn't need that and won't get that opportunity. I will admit I want to see Ty as much as the next fan, but trust the plan.

What we are seeing is what most programs go through constantly. The back-up is the most popular player on the team. We have been fortunate for most of the programs history to have more than solid qb play. We seldom see the back-up dilemma most programs go through.

If Oregon blows out EWU and Ty doesn't come in for some reps then I can see the questions having legs. Bo was recruited, brought in because he had experience and because of the Georgia game.

The Bo experiment didn't work so far. We were blown out and he struggled. Now he has to prove he can lead us against lesser talent.

If Bo fails again, against lesser talent, then it is certainly time to move on. I look for him to light it up, and Ty to get some playing time against EWU. That is the plan, but I doubt Bo will have all season to get it right.

• Applause 1

On 9/8/2022 at 9:33 AM, Haywarduck said:

The back-up is the most popular player on the team.

The back-up QB is always the most popular player on the team...when the QB question would first materialize...I wanted Graziani over O'Neil, Leaf over Dixon and Costa over Thomas.

And back then....I was able to see a whole lot more practices than we do now and I was flat out wrong...stupid-wrong with most of them.  This is great stuff to discuss, but to boo the coach over it in his first five games?  I do not think that is cool at all.  Do not take the frustrations of the last three years out on a new coach...please.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is great stuff to discuss, but to boo the coach over it in his first five games?  I do not think that is cool at all.  Do not take the frustrations of the last three years out on a new coach...please.

Wow, that would be a new low for the next generation Oregon Fan. I do think there is a subset of fans who don't appreciate just how difficult it is to build a program and culture. 

I could definitely see some boos is we struggle against BYU, but hope we don't see that.

Let's hope we can stay above booing while the process of building the Dan Lanning Ducks evolves.

I trust what the coaches think about the QBs more than I do any of the fans.  The coaches see the players every practice, in every group meeting, and deal with them constantly.  They dissect films of every play, both in games and practice, so if anyone should know who's ready to play, it's the coaches.  In the spring game, Ty had the look of a deer in the headlights, and didn't go through progressions well.  That could certainly be the result of two years of bad coaching, or that's just who he is.

I would like to see the younger players get playing times as well, and I'd hate to see Ty leave,  but I thought Butterfield was the better of the two when I've seen them.  Hopefully, there will be situations where the two younger guys get some minutes, but if not, the coaches have their reasons.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/7/2022 at 6:19 PM, Log Haulin said:

I don't think Bo was horrible. He threw one legit, poor decision pick. The other one was a good throw the defender earned. I think Bo will have the best year of his career going forward. 

I have two problems with Bo's first pick.

1. It should have been to the WRs outside shoulder towards the sideline - then the DB has to go through the WR to make a play on the ball and the odds of a pass interference call increase.

2. Seven at 5'8" isn't the player I want to throw that go route to - he was against 6'1" DB. That play is for Thorton 6'5" or Frankin 6'3" who can both go up and highpoint that ball over the defender. That's on Dilly IMO

The second pick was vintage Bo.

The jury is out on Bo - the last drive on fourth down he overthrew the ball to TE Fergusen on a cross but had Cota the first crosser as the open man. I just don't know if I believe in Bo's field vison down in the red zone.

Edited by DazeNconfused

Pretty sure if you put any of our QBs in the game last Saturday, the results were going to look the same. Bo was not out there struggling to make tackles on defense. The offense sputtered and the defense had to wait until Georgia’s backups were on the field to stop them from scoring. 

Our young QB’s will probably play. However, I would rather see them in a lopsided game where we are ahead versus throwing them into the lion’s den in Atlanta. 

Can anyone name a QB transfer leaving Oregon that has done extremely well? There is usually a valid reason that players transfer.

Edited by Drake
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2022 at 11:01 AM, DazeNconfused said:

1. It should have been to the WRs outside shoulder towards the sideline - then the DB has to go through the WR to make a play on the ball and the odds of a pass interference call increase.

2. Seven at 5'8" isn't the player I want to throw that go route to - he was against 6'1" DB. That play is for Thornton 6'5" or Franklin 6'3" who can both go up and highpoint that ball over the defender. That's on Dilly IMO

Completely agree, and it looked like Seven slowed down on the route...to fight for the ball instead of being lead to the ball.  Then, he didn't fight for the ball after all, and that is a newbie out there.  And again--I think it would have been different with Thornton or Franklin as well.

Throw to the little guys on the crossing routes, and throw to the tall guys on the fades or "Go" routes.  Kinda common sense, Dilly?

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/8/2022 at 11:28 AM, Drake said:

Bo was not out there struggling to make tackles on defense.

Amen.  The defense lost that game for us and looked unbelievably bad in so many ways.  Still stunned at it.

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/7/2022 at 6:19 PM, Log Haulin said:

I don't think Bo was horrible. He threw one legit, poor decision pick. The other one was a good throw the defender earned.

Yea, Oregon couldn't get in the endzone. Thats not compleatly on Nix. There are 11 players on Offense, not one. Everybody has to make plays. 

Last years perception of Duck QB play seems to have carried over. Hardly fair after one game against the defending champs. Dawgs might be in the convo as the best in history this year.

I think Bo will have the best year of his career going forward. I will not rush to condemn this team after one throw away game nobody truly thought Oregon could win. 

I picked Oregon in the OBDF contest and talked them up. Threw shade at Dawg fan. Thats what I do as a Duck fanatic. 

I hoped they could compete, They didn't. I hoped they could win, they didn't. In hindsight it is clear why. But Oregon is a good football team. A good program. And Oregon fan will get the last Rah this season.

On the first pick, I read the ball as under thrown but I only have the ESPN highlight clip to go off so my perception could be off (or I could just be off 🙂 )

• Thumbs Up 1

Whether we fans like it or not, the transfer clock is always ticking.  

As a young coach (and 1st-time Head Coach) Lanning is getting a taste of what it's like to balance the need for immediate performance on the field with a look to the long-term picture of the team's progress.  Transfers like Nix are only temporary 'fixes'; not future, more permanent fixes that face every team in the collegiate ranks.

On 9/8/2022 at 12:15 PM, CalBear95 said:

On the first pick, I read the ball as under thrown but I only have the ESPN highlight clip to go off so my perception could be off (or I could just be off 🙂 )

It was a little under thrown. My take is the receiver has as much the responsibility to adjust to the ball and box out the defenders.

I just dont think Nix should take all the blame. Especially when a true freshman (I think), at full speed, recognizes ball placement, adjusts, leaves his feet and makes the catch. Just an amazing defensive play.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2022 at 2:00 PM, Log Haulin said:

It was a little under thrown. My take is the receiver has as much the responsibility to adjust to the ball and box out the defenders.

I just dont think Nix should take all the blame. Especially when a true freshman (I think), at full speed, recognizes ball placement, adjusts, leaves his feet and makes the catch. Just an amazing defensive play.

Seven was a true freshman last year playing, and is a sophomore now.  But he should have come back and fought for the ball; I don't think the pick would have happened if it was thrown to Cota, for example.  It was on both the QB and WR, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/8/2022 at 2:16 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Seven was a true freshman last year playing, and is a sophomore now.  But he should have come back and fought for the ball; I don't think the pick would have happened if it was thrown to Cota, for example.  It was on both the QB and WR, IMHO.

That one play pretty much summed up the game. The Ducks came to play and the Dawgs came to compete. Hopefully now they know the difference.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 2:16 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I also think credit should be given to the defender who was basically horizontal to the ground mid-air to snag that INT.  I think 99/100 times would have been an incomplete pass in ordinary circumstances, it was a pretty exceptional play by that CB.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/8/2022 at 11:01 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I have two problems with Bo's first pick.

2. Seven at 5'8" isn't the player I want to throw that go route to - he was against 6'1" DB. That play is for Thorton 6'5" or Frankin 6'3" who can both go up and highpoint that ball over the defender. That's on Dilly IMO

The second pick was vintage Bo.

The jury is out on Bo - the last drive on fourth down he overthrew the ball to TE Fergusen on a cross but had Cota the first crosser as the open man. I just don't know if I believe in Bo's field vison down in the red zone.

Valid point on Dilly making that call. I do however, think Dilly will make that call again. Seven is a burner and I like that Oregon took the shot.

I think a lot of Duck fans are fatigued with QB play of late. With all around offensive play for that matter. Could be unfair to Nix, but Duck fan might pull the chord quick. Some it appears,  already have.

I am going to try and give Bo a long leash. I think he deserves it. Too many new variables on this Duck team. 

With all the complexities of the new everything, I don't think its wise to make strong opinion or scapegoat any one on this team. 

After say WSU, then yeah, hell fire will be in order. This coaching staff saw what everyone else saw. I am going to give them an opportunity to grow and get better before I filet their backside.

But man, I so badly wanted them to be competitive against UGA. They weren't, few are.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2022 at 2:35 PM, kirklandduck said:

I also think credit should be given to the defender who was basically horizontal to the ground mid-air to snag that INT.  I think 99/100 times would have been an incomplete pass in ordinary circumstances, it was a pretty exceptional play by that CB.

It also came after a 1st down at mid-field after the ducks converted on 3rd down.  If that pass is caught by Seven (or dropped) who knows how the 1st Qtr turns out?  We were beaten soundly by a terrific team, but that play was a devastating blow to the Ducks early.  TO's in the red zone always are.

Edited by Mic
spelling correction
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

I just whole-heartedly believe a guy can only wait so long for his shot in college football today. I respect the hell out of Ty for staying as long as he has. Maybe he does and I have to eat this post at the end of the season. But I think he's a smart guy and seeing the writing on the wall with Dante (hopefully) coming on next year. I'll hate to see him go as much as anyone else, but I do think its an uncomfortable reality that is approaching.

I like the description of “uncomfortable reality”.  I’m with you in that I think it will progress into a “realized reality”. 

If he really wants to play (as a starter) football, he may be better served going elsewhere, and I don’t think any of us would fault him for that.  Either way, we will survive and move onward.

BTW, is there a topic that we can’t morph into a QB debate?  Lol.

In less than five posts, we could turn a headline reading “British Columbia Man Spies Bigfoot Feeing Local Bakery with Boston Cream Pie” into “I can’t believe this is the only option we have at quarterback”.  

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 9/8/2022 at 4:01 PM, Jester said:

In less than five posts, we could turn a headline reading “British Columbia Man Spies Bigfoot Feeing Local Bakery with Boston Cream Pie” into “I can’t believe this is the only option we have at quarterback”.  

If he had gone through his progression to his left there was an apple pie cooling on a window sill, wide open. Bigfoot could have strolled to the local Baskin and Robbins for ice cream rather than running with a baker in hot pursuit.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 9/8/2022 at 3:00 PM, Log Haulin said:

I disagree, just rewatched the play and Nix should have never thrown the ball, at no time was Seven open. The first interception showed just as bad judgment as the second one.

Both INTs had wide open options but Nix predetermined his throws and doesn't seem to be very good at reading coverage. 

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/8/2022 at 6:20 PM, Dave23 said:

I disagree, just rewatched the play and Nix should have never thrown the ball, at no time was Seven open. The first interception showed just as bad judgment as the second one.

Both INTs had wide open options but Nix predetermined his throws and doesn't seem to be very good at reading coverage. 

Tight coverage for sure. You might be right about Nix reading coverages. 2nd Int makes the case. It wasn't a perfect throw. Seven still could have made the play. At least incomplete.

Starks is a true freshman who made a great play as well.  I can't put it all Nix

On 9/8/2022 at 7:38 PM, Log Haulin said:

Tight coverage for sure. You might be right about Nix reading coverages. 2nd Int makes the case. It wasn't a perfect throw. Seven still could have made the play. At least incomplete.

Starks is a true freshman who made a great play as well.  I can't put it all Nix

It was an amazing catch as he has to flip directions to make it. Starks was sitting back in zone thus watching Nix the whole time, if it had been man and Seven had a step then make that throw.

Nix also needs to not stare at his target the whole time something a 4th year QB should be proficient at.

When our Oregon Ducks are 11-1 or 12-1 let's all look back at this past week and wonder why all the negative thoughts. 

This is going to be a good team, how about we give them a break, both players and Coaches? 

Our whole family will be at the game Saturday night and can't wait to see the team play! 

Enjoy the season everyone, 

See you Saturday! 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1