FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: Don’t Count Bo Nix Out Yet

Let’s face it. Last Saturday wasn’t just ugly. That embarrassing afternoon in Atlanta, GA may have been one of the worst outings in recent memory for the Ducks, and on paper, it looks even worse. But that’s no reason to lose faith in this team and what coach Dan Lanning is building. Realistically, that’s about as tough of a first assignment ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Let's face it. Last Saturday wasn't just ugly. That embarrassing afternoon in Atlanta, GA may have been one of the worst outings in recent memory...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Well argued and deftly written, Mr Heining. Much to think about. Bravo. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Bright spots I’m looking for tomorrow?  I’ll keep my list to 3, and place them in order of importance (for me). 

No. 1. This one is a two-parter.  I’d like to see our defensive personnel put themselves in position to make plays, and then make the playtackle.  Following a game one review of missteps taken while adjusting to new defensive concepts, let’s see if the guys can take a leap toward performing to the level DL is accustomed to seeing. 

No. 2.  Offensive cohesiveness.  I’d like to see a few sustained drives where our offense is able to develop a rhythm while placing the defense on its heels.  In other words, let’s turn the tables on what transpired last week.  This should be an appropriate time to start to develop an offensive identity.  Last week was “herky-jerky” with only flashes of what the unit can accomplish.  I’d love to see Dilly getting a play-calling rhythm as well. 

No. 3.  Where the are the studs?  You want to see the team as a whole playing well, but it’s important that a couple guys come to the forefront as on-the-field team leaders.  If I was watching Oregon for the first-time last week, I wouldn’t have known who “the big man on campus” was.  It’s time for the leaders to step-up and show themselves. 

I don’t expect a 180 from last week’s performance, but I would like to see a solid 133+.  In just over a week, a legitimate (and then some) test is coming to town and UO needs to start trending in the right direction.  Let’s be smart, realistic fans, and root for and recognize the small victories within the game.  Go Ducks. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Alex, thank you for the thought provoking article. Last Saturday's game created more questions than answers. They say the greatest improvement comes between game 1 and game 2. There's no reason that we shouldn't see solid improvement this week.

About Bo, Bo has alot of football under his belt. With the O-line run blocking skill set the EWU defense should be on their heals and off balance. This will help reduce the pressure on Bo or any QB in the game. Bo should have a good game. I am more concerned about the QB room! Why can't JB and TT earn playing time?

About the RB rotation, I think a true number one back will emerge over the next few games. All these running backs are new to this coaching staff. No reason to make a guess, just let them play. Let the creme rise to the top. No reason the Ducks shouldn't rush for over 200 yards. As long as thats the game plan.

About the Defense, my concern is the poor tackling. We saw this at times last season. Confident this will improve on Saturday. All the players should understand the new system better this week. With this type of talent, there are no excuses for not improving.  EWU is capable of scoring points and this will be a great opportunity for the Duck D to step up.  BYU and WSU are on the horizon. A few 3 and out and a couple of turnovers will jump start the players

Coaching staff, looking for a solid game plan that utilizes the player skill sets. And better in game adjustments. The players follow the leadership of the coaches. Feel confident the coaches will step up.

GO DUCKS...........

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually think Bo Nix is already out and we are seeing exactly who he is and always will be. He might be good against EWU, and some will breathe a sigh of relief, but Bo isn't Oregon's future. I would argue he is Oregon's recent past.

At RB we aren't looking at our past, and I hope it isn't our future. Having 5 guys share the ball will never give anyone time to get into a rhythm, and has never been Oregon's, or really any teams road to success. 

Maybe we are just seeing our OC and HC not being able to make the tough choice? They need to move to the future at qb, make a choice at RB. The smart choice was Bo against Georgia, but not going forward.The easy choice was playing 5 RB's, but not in the long-term.

On defense I will give them some slack to grow into the elite players many thought they already were. Before the game it seemed like we had a few guys who were better than Thibs, but we still need to find our 'alpha,' or just some leadership. 

All is not lost, but we seemed to still be searching for leadership and that is what I want to see. The one position the staff seems to have decided on, the qb, now needs to become who he has never been, and still isn't. I'm ok with the staff changing their mind on that one. At RB, the staff just needs to make up their mind.

On defense the staff and players needs to continue to develop who they are. What we saw isn't who anyone wants our defense to be. I look for some soul searching within the players on defense. From that I hope we see havoc on the opposing sides offense, which grows as the season progresses. Right now our defense has no soul. That is unacceptable!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bo will probably do pretty well tomorrow, but that won't be much proof for me that he's the QB going forward.  We need to see how he does against BYU and WSU first.

I expect a lot of points to be scored tomorrow, maybe 38-20 ish, maybe more.  We should see at least one (if not both) backups get some playing time tomorrow - if we don't that will really be disappointing.

• Thumbs Up 2

When I watched Bo's interview after the Georgia blowout he looked pretty defeated.  If he begins to really listen to the coaches and learn to avoid his instincts to play sandlot football then he can be a good steward of the offense.  If he continues to give in to the instincts to make stuff happen I expect KD to sit him. 

It's really hard to NOT trust your instincts but he's picked up a bad read skillset that has to be trained out of him through repetition.  It can't happen overnight but it begins with him playing the plays as designed.  I think it's a 30/70 chance that he's able to make real progress against those habits this year.  It will be easier against Eastern Washington due to the talent gap but the BYU game could go badly for Bo.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2022 at 6:41 AM, Jester said:

No. 2.  Offensive cohesiveness.  I’d like to see a few sustained drives where our offense is able to develop a rhythm while placing the defense on its heels.  In other words, let’s turn the tables on what transpired last week.  This should be an appropriate time to start to develop an offensive identity.  Last week was “herky-jerky” with only flashes of what the unit can accomplish.  I’d love to see Dilly getting a play-calling rhythm as well. 

I think this comes with the quarterback, assuming it's Nix, is also calm and comfortable. 

We were hit with being behind desperation that makes everything worse. Nix has had some great heiro ball moments in his career but when he tries to play hero ball it's what gets him into trouble. Same went for Brown last year. 

Need to get points on the board and find that rhythm. I think it Oregon is playing either ahead or ateast not behind we will see a calmer team that just executes better. 

The rushing offense did pretty good last week but it didn't have time to really develop. 

On 9/9/2022 at 5:53 AM, Drex Heikes said:

Well argued and deftly written, Mr Heining. Much to think about. Bravo. 

Glad you enjoyed, 

Thanks for your consistent contributions to the forum, Drex!

Hope you enjoy the game this weekend.

On 9/9/2022 at 6:41 AM, Jester said:

No. 1. This one is a two-parter.  I’d like to see our defensive personnel put themselves in position to make plays, and then make the playtackle.  Following a game one review of missteps taken while adjusting to new defensive concepts, let’s see if the guys can take a leap toward performing to the level DL is accustomed to seeing. 

I don’t expect a 180 from last week’s performance, but I would like to see a solid 133+.  In just over a week, a legitimate (and then some) test is coming to town and UO needs to start trending in the right direction.  Let’s be smart, realistic fans, and root for and recognize the small victories within the game.  Go Ducks. 

Small waves mean everything, Jester. I think you're absolutely right. Exam 2 with BYU is a good football program that can make moves early this year. Let's hope we do see some actual tackling against Eastern Washington tomorrow and take a major step forward as a unit. 

On 9/9/2022 at 7:06 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

About Bo, Bo has alot of football under his belt. With the O-line run blocking skill set the EWU defense should be on their heals and off balance. This will help reduce the pressure on Bo or any QB in the game. Bo should have a good game. I am more concerned about the QB room! Why can't JB and TT earn playing time?

About the RB rotation, I think a true number one back will emerge over the next few games. All these running backs are new to this coaching staff. No reason to make a guess, just let them play. Let the creme rise to the top. No reason the Ducks shouldn't rush for over 200 yards. As long as thats the game plan.

Love these two points you made!

I think JB and TT will earn playing time, it really just comes down to when. Let's hope we can at least see some of their prowess this year, just hopefully not at the expense of the team performing poorly with Bo.

As for the runningbacks, I really don't care either who leads the room. I just need SOMEONE to lead it. Otherwise, it just turns into feeding the hot hand, which may work in some instances, but it's nice to have an ol' reliable in the room as a leader. Even if it's a first year guy, I don't really mind.

We'll never accidentally rush for 200 yards. Let's just hope that the running game stays as a creative and crucial piece of the gameplan.

On 9/9/2022 at 7:39 AM, Haywarduck said:

At RB we aren't looking at our past, and I hope it isn't our future. Having 5 guys share the ball will never give anyone time to get into a rhythm, and has never been Oregon's, or really any teams road to success. 

Dilly likes to use multiple backs in his system, it's just how he rolls.

In 2018 at Memphis Dilly had two backs go for over 1000 yards on the #4 total offense in FBS.

We can want a primetime guy, but we I suspect we will end up with two. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2022 at 8:36 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

When I watched Bo's interview after the Georgia blowout he looked pretty defeated.  If he begins to really listen to the coaches and learn to avoid his instincts to play sandlot football then he can be a good steward of the offense.  If he continues to give in to the instincts to make stuff happen I expect KD to sit him. 

It's really hard to NOT trust your instincts but he's picked up a bad read skillset that has to be trained out of him through repetition.  It can't happen overnight but it begins with him playing the plays as designed.  I think it's a 30/70 chance that he's able to make real progress against those habits this year.  It will be easier against Eastern Washington due to the talent gap but the BYU game could go badly for Bo.

Brutally honest. I think Bo's going to have his fair share of struggles for sure. It's never easy coming in as the starter for a new program, especially as you siad if he has poor read instincts already engrained in his mind.

Maybe BYU turns into an open door for TT or JB

On 9/9/2022 at 7:06 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I am more concerned about the QB room! Why can't JB and TT earn playing time?

The safe bet is to go with the experienced transfer QBs the last two years. For Mairo with his system he wasn't looking for a Star QB, just a Vet to run his offense. That offense wasn't asking for a QB to go win the game with big time down field throws. It was a power run offense with dink and dunk passing game.

Mario trusted AB would screw up less -- it wasn't about if Ty or Butters had a higher ceiling when they got developed in games. 

This year Bo is the safest course for 1st year HC Lanning -- he knows what he has in Bo. 

I will also point out both of the last two staffs have Ty as QB2 - even though Butters looked better in the Spring game. 

That tells me both staffs seeing a larger sample size think Ty has the higher upside of the two backup QBs. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2022 at 9:35 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Dilly likes to use multiple backs in his system, it's just how he rolls.

In 2018 at Memphis Dilly had two backs go for over 1000 yards on the #4 total offense in FBS.

We can want a primetime guy, but we I suspect we will end up with two. 

Two backs like Lamichael James and Kenyon Barner!

I feel Cardwell and Dollars fit this description.  The others would be good insurance in case of injury.

• Like 1

I'm ok with two RB's, five not so much.

I also don't think it is an instincts problem with Nix it is just how he processes situations. I agree, like many qbs, when he is comfortable, and not rushed, he can play pretty good football. The problem is when games are won on a big stage, or large moments, it isn't calm and easy.

The other problem with qb's is, like guys such as Tom Brady and Joe Burrow, they don't always get the playing time they should get. We know who Bo is on the field, we don't know who the guys are behind him.

Robby Ashford already has better stats than Bo after transferring. Robby's stats were actually better than the starter for Auburn.  What kind of stats could the guys who were ahead of Ashford have if they get a shot at starting? I want to know.

I do want to be clear, while I know exactly what I want to see, have answers for all the problems, I realize my answers, undoubtedly aren't as good as Dan Lannings. This doesn't stop me from having those opinions. I support Dan Lanning 100%, but will never stop having my opinions while acknowledging my knowledge base is way, way lower than the staffs.

Starting to appear that Nix doesn't stand a chance. Many Oregon Fan will never accept Nix as the starter. Every mistake Nix makes will be be magnified by many.

Tough spot to be in. Nix will be eviscerated week in and week out by critics and so called experts. Looks like it could become daily sport. 

In my opinion, no matter who starts, outside of TT or Butters, wouldn't stand a chance with a lot of Oregon fan.

Seems Oregon fan is done with transfers no matter who they are. Understandable with the lack of homegrown development of Duck QB's the past 8 or so years.

I hope Nix balls out the rest of the year and proves them wrong. I am pretty indifferent on who start but Nix has taken a beating since he showed up on campus. 

So I am going to root for him and defend him. He is our QB and I will get behind him and cheer him on. I am just that way, stand in the gap kinda guy.

Maybe Oregon can recruit and develop a QB from scratch someday. Doesn't seem to be an Oregon thing as of late. Nix isn't to blame for that but he will probably take the beating from it.

Is what it is.

Go Ducks!

Go Nix!

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s early in the season, but mentally I feel as if I’m in the same head space I was in during the only NFL season that I played fantasy football.  That year I opted into the game just to be a “joiner” with the rest of my co-workers.  It wasn’t until week 3 that I even feigned any real interest in my line-up as I was about to go head-to-head against our arrogant company president, and my peers were in my ear about putting up a fight.  So, I spent money on a few trades to get the players I was happy with and proceeded to put a beatdown on the boss man.  This trend continued weekly until I won the championship and few bucks to accompany the all-important bragging rights.

Sounds somewhat awesome, doesn’t it?  It wasn’t. 

By the end of the season, I despised that fact that the joy of simply rooting for my team was infringed upon by immersing myself in stats, matchups, and at times hoping that a member of a hated foe would perform admirably against MY team.  If you haven’t played fantasy sports, imagine yourself having to cheer for a Husky QB (let’s pretend they have a good one) to toss 4 TD’s in ANY game just so you could best some schlep from the Software Department!

I fear that the polarizing views on our very own QB situation will continue for weeks.  It’s such a hot topic right now that I defy anyone to be able to watch a Ducks game and not, at least in a small part, magnify every success or failure from the QB position.  Was it an O-Line protection issue, did the receiver bail on the route, was it a poor play design, etc.  For me personally, the rabbit hole I’ve gone down regarding something I can’t control has already negatively impacted my game-day viewing experience similarly to fantasy football. 

I’m vowing to correct that this weekend.  For the next couple of days, I’m compartmentalizing my position on the QB position and am I placing it in the basement between a container of 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner and a can of Krylon, black matte, spray paint. 

Que sera, sera at the QB position. Bring on the baby backs, famous Jester baked beans, grilled corn, and a few cold ones cuz Daddy’s choosing to enjoy the game this weekend.   

There are always concerns after watching a beat down of your team. Playing the defending National Champs on what was pretty much their home field as your first game ever as a head coach is just horrible timing for DL and his staff.

I look at it like scheduling the world champion for your very first boxing match. Nobody does that, and there is a really good reason why they don’t. 

The result of the worst timing has fans already questioning head coaching decisions and the staff’s abilities to lead the team. I personally will hold off from making judgements for a few more games. 

The only concern I have is how the team and coaching staff picks themselves off the “canvas” and responds in their next fight. We find out soon enough. 

Edited by Drake

I think it's a lot bigger picture than Bo for fans. We endured Herbs being held back to watch him show how special he was his rookie year in the NFL. If we weren't running pistol up the gut Herbs was good enough to take us to the playoffs. 

Then Shough got off to a good start but kept throwing that same pick to the underneath coverage. Mario had the offense dialed back and we saw Shough start to regress when playing so tight. 

Last year was AB the transfer who didn't light it up and that was good enough for Mario. The young QBs sat

Now we have a new HC and OC with another transfer QB who has a checkered past.  Now the young QBs are sitting again.

Fans are fed up. They lived thru the Mario risk adverse offense years and a bad transfer QB. Now we have new OC with a more open offense and another bad transfer QB. 

If Bo doesn't go kick the heck out of BYU fans are going to have had enough. 

Tons of fans would rather play one of our young blue-chip QBs and let them take their lumps while they develop. We would rather lose more games living on the edge of our seat watching Ty grow, pondering if late in the season he becomes a star. That's exciting -- that's watching the future grow. 

It's a 180-degree different vibe losing games watching the young kid QB grow, to losing games watching the Vet Transfer QB under preform. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can support Bo Nix winning for Oregon, no problem. I do admit he isn't my qb, just as I didn't view AB as my qb. I long to identify with my qb again, that is my problem.

I can also wonder what could have been with Robby, who was my pick, and cheer him on from a distance.

If Ty or Butters doesn't take over I will still wonder if they had it, or have it, and feel they deserve a chance to show it.

I will never boo Bo, or attack the coaches because I know I am just an ignorant fan, and Bo is in a tough position.

That is why opinions aren't worth much, but those who have proven to have answers make the big bucks. I look forward to seeing and supporting those with the answers, even if we have some struggles. 

I will also share my opinion, respectfully, the Fishduck way!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/9/2022 at 10:33 AM, Jester said:

It’s early in the season, but mentally I feel as if I’m in the same head space I was in during the only NFL season that I played fantasy football.  That year I opted into the game just to be a “joiner” with the rest of my co-workers.  It wasn’t until week 3 that I even feigned any real interest in my line-up as I was about to go head-to-head against our arrogant company president, and my peers were in my ear about putting up a fight.  So, I spent money on a few trades to get the players I was happy with and proceeded to put a beatdown on the boss man.  This trend continued weekly until I won the championship and few bucks to accompany the all-important bragging rights.

Sounds somewhat awesome, doesn’t it?  It wasn’t. 

By the end of the season, I despised that fact that the joy of simply rooting for my team was infringed upon by immersing myself in stats, matchups, and at times hoping that a member of a hated foe would perform admirably against MY team.  If you haven’t played fantasy sports, imagine yourself having to cheer for a Husky QB (let’s pretend they have a good one) to toss 4 TD’s in ANY game just so you could best some schlep from the Software Department!

I fear that the polarizing views on our very own QB situation will continue for weeks.  It’s such a hot topic right now that I defy anyone to be able to watch a Ducks game and not, at least in a small part, magnify every success or failure from the QB position.  Was it an O-Line protection issue, did the receiver bail on the route, was it a poor play design, etc.  For me personally, the rabbit hole I’ve gone down regarding something I can’t control has already negatively impacted my game-day viewing experience similarly to fantasy football. 

I’m vowing to correct that this weekend.  For the next couple of days, I’m compartmentalizing my position on the QB position and am I placing it in the basement between a container of 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner and a can of Krylon, black matte, spray paint. 

Que sera, sera at the QB position. Bring on the baby backs, famous Jester baked beans, grilled corn, and a few cold ones cuz Daddy’s choosing to enjoy the game this weekend.   

FINALLY. Someone said it. I can't help but despise fantasy football, and yet I get roped into it every year. By week three, I'm so overly competitive and analyzing tape on the 3rd receiver for the Jets that I have lost my joy for watching the games.

I can't express how much I relate to the software department line, LOL. 

Love the line about the QB position as well. Good stuff Jester. 

On 9/9/2022 at 10:33 AM, Log Haulin said:

I hope Nix balls out the rest of the year and proves them wrong. I am pretty indifferent on who start but Nix has taken a beating since he showed up on campus. 

So I am going to root for him and defend him. He is our QB and I will get behind him and cheer him on. I am just that way, stand in the gap kinda guy.

Maybe Oregon can recruit and develop a QB from scratch someday. Doesn't seem to be an Oregon thing as of late. Nix isn't to blame for that but he will probably take the beating from it.

Is what it is.

Go Ducks!

Go Nix!

Guess it's just the nature of the position. Would love to see him thrive here, we'll see how realistic that is within the coming weeks. Still not overly concerned about him, but let's hope Oregon can someday do exactly that with developing a QB from scratch. Would love to see this gen's Mariota!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/9/2022 at 10:51 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Last year was AB the transfer who didn't light it up and that was good enough for Mario. The young QBs sat

Now we have a new HC and OC with another transfer QB who has a checkered past.  Now the young QBs are sitting again.

Fans are fed up. They lived thru the Mario risk adverse offense years and a bad transfer QB. Now we have new OC with a more open offense and another bad transfer QB. 

If Bo doesn't go kick the heck out of BYU fans are going to have had enough. 

Tons of fans would rather play one of our young blue-chip QBs and let them take their lumps while they develop.

Glad you touched on this. Something I've been harping on and pounding my desk for the last few months. Just let them fall on their face. There is no other way to become great at something. I'd rather suck for a year with a chance to be all-time great than be average every year with a chance to become goodish.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:08 AM, aheining said:

FINALLY. Someone said it. I can't help but despise fantasy football

Fantasy football ruined pro football for me while I participated. I found myself rooting for teams that I despised for years all because of the players that I chose for my team.

I might despise the team, but still knew they had good players to compete for weekly $$$$ and big payouts at seasons end. 

I finally retired from the fantasy ranks and no longer miss the weekly grind. I never have to check the box scores for those despised teams again. 

Edited by Drake

On 9/9/2022 at 10:59 AM, Haywarduck said:

can also wonder what could have been with Robby, who was my pick, and cheer him on from a distance.

Herbert was also a multi-sport athlete who decided to focus on football. Even in the beat down in his first game you could tell JH was full of potential. 

When I watched Ashford play I also thought he had great potential. Unfortunately, he didn’t focus on just one sport and that may have hurt him vying for the starting QB position. I believe he would have been a lot of fun to watch on game days as our QB. 

On 9/9/2022 at 11:59 AM, Drake said:

Herbert was also a multi-sport athlete who decided to focus on football. Even in the beat down in his first game you could tell JH was full of potential. 

When I watched Ashford play I also thought he had great potential. Unfortunately, he didn’t focus on just one sport and that may have hurt him vying for the starting QB position. I believe he would have been a lot of fun to watch on game days as our QB. 

I watched Robby play in one of the post season All-American games after high school. He was the worst QB in the game. He was missing reads on WRs and then the pressure got to him, and he was running for his life. 

But in his first Spring Game he had improved a ridiculous amount. He led the drive and threw the game winning TD.

The QB room Moorhead ran did wonders for Robby. Coming out of that Spring game part of me wondered if he was the Guy out of the three young QBs. He had improved his reads, strong arm, great size and running ability screamed trouble as a dual threat QB.

Something most of us forget is...if you go with an inexperienced QB in Ty or Butters...you are trashing the season.  They will make more costly mistakes than Nix as they go through their learning curve.  Play them at garbage time and get them ready, but giving them the car keys is asking for a pile-up, IMHO.

I would like see more the defensive scheme revealed, as we saw almost no blitzes...for pass or run last Saturday.  We played base a ton, and the Bulldogs chewed it up.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/9/2022 at 12:16 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Something most of us forget is...if you go with an inexperienced QB in Ty or Butters...you are trashing the season.  They will make more costly mistakes than Nix as they go through their learning curve.  Play them at garbage time and get them ready, but giving them the car keys is asking for a pile-up, IMHO.

I don’t mind competing for an opportunity to play in the conference championship game with Nix as QB. If we get that opportunity then Nix was successful as our QB. 

If it becomes obvious that we will not play in that game, then the younger QBs need to be developed. 

Edited by Drake

I would like see more the defensive scheme revealed, as we saw almost no blitzes...for pass or run last Saturday.  We played base a ton, and the Bulldogs chewed it up.

I respectfully agree some and disagree. What you say could happen, the young QBs could be worse than Bo for the rest of the year. But do we really expect that out a five-star Ty? 

It's a complex equation.

Bo Nix vrs UGA completed 56% of his passes for 4.7 yards per attempt. His passer rating was 85.2 - terrible.

Nix needs to be completing close to 65% for over 8 yards per attempt and sporting a 155-pass rating in the next two games - and that's not even as good as Shough was in 2020. If Nix can't meet that bar, and he never has... it's hard to expect his play is going to lead you to a Pac-12 title. 

Then you really need to consider going to one of the young guys - you'd expect they could come close to meeting Nix's numbers out of the gate with lots of room for improvement. You expect the young QB to improve from week one into week two. 

One of the young QBs could improve before the end of the season to be hands down much better than Bo. 

Bo has shown his whole career to be an average QB at best. He has two weeks to show that he has made the jump this year to being a good QB. 

If Bo can do that then he can stay QB1 - but if he can't then it's on Bo. 

Edited by DazeNconfused

Bo threw a perfect 50 yard bomb that got picked.  There are only 3 defensive backs in the game that make that play.  Against anyone but Bama, or, Georgia, that drive would have scored.

Were not playing anymore semi-pro teams this season so I expect offensive numbers to soar against the defenses from here on out.  Utah is the exception.

Bo had time to throw the deep ball, our receiver was fast enough to get to it, it just so happened a mutant defensive back, with a 48 inch vertical, and 4.38 speed was with him.  Tip your hat to a great defensive play, not a bad throw.  The other pic...grrrrr

Bo throws for over 400 yards and we rush for 200+ more.   Bank it!

I said it from the beginning; Bo is the best option for winning now.  I think if Lanning is planning on staying for 5 years or more,  he will work in a different QB,  and play for next season. 

However; I believe he is leaving for the BIG or SEC so expect him to start Bo for remainder of season.  Cant risk a loss on the resume with a rookie QB, if your leaving in a year or so.   Just my thoughts

Edited by Pac10again
  • Thumbs Up 1

It looked like the Ducks tried taking the final exam on their first day of the semester.

Very true. I had hoped Oregon would fare better considering Dan Lanning audited the course.

On 9/9/2022 at 1:34 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Bo Nix vrs UGA completed 56% of his passes for 4.7 yards per attempt. His passer rating was 85.2 - terrible.

Nix needs to be completing close to 65% for over 8 yards per attempt and sporting a 155-pass rating in the next two games - and that's not even as good as Shough was in 2020. If Nix can't meet that bar, and he never has... it's hard to expect his play is going to lead you to a Pac-12 title. 

Doggone it...there you go with those pesky facts again!  As always--you make great points and I do appreciate the feedback.

Mr. FishDuck

I remember seeing Clemons come on the field and look like he wouldn't ever be a good qb. Justin more recently had it early on, as have others. I don't think we know much about either of the guys on the bench at this point.

I do agree they need to see garbage time, but at some point they need an opportunity. I hope Nix can turn the corner, but sticking with him if he struggles too much isn't going to help the program either.

I definitely wouldn't say outright putting any of these 3 guys is trashing the season.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:59 AM, Drake said:

Great point to add! Love to see him reaching it today, even if it's with the Chargers instead of the Ducks.

Ashford would have been a great deal of fun and may be one of those "what could have beens" in a few years...

On 9/9/2022 at 11:41 AM, Drake said:

Fantasy football ruined pro football for me while I participated. I found myself rooting for teams that I despised for years all because of the players that I chose for my team.

I might despise the team, but still knew they had good players to compete for weekly $$$$ and big payouts at seasons end. 

I finally retired from the fantasy ranks and no longer miss the weekly grind. I never have to check the box scores for those despised teams again. 

I hope to do the same; can't figure out how I get coaxed into it time and time again. Maybe I should try fishing or something.

On 9/9/2022 at 2:50 PM, aheining said:

I hope to do the same; can't figure out how I get coaxed into it time and time again. Maybe I should try fishing or something.

I started playing guitar in January.  Already playing with other musicians. Old dog learned a new trick 

On 9/9/2022 at 3:56 PM, Log Haulin said:

I started playing guitar in January.  Already playing with other musicians. Old dog learned a new trick 

Awesome to hear! Glad you're joining the club- a huge misconception people fall into is that you can't start an instrument late! Never too late to try, and good on you for sticking with it.

I've actually been playing for 12 years now and it took me almost two years to really enjoy the guitar. Now I couldn't imagine a day without it, and listening to my favorites (Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, and the late Eddie Van Halen). 

Rock on and Go Ducks!

• Cool 1

On 9/9/2022 at 4:22 PM, aheining said:

Awesome to hear! Glad you're joining the club- a huge misconception people fall into is that you can't start an instrument late! Never too late to try, and good on you for sticking with it.

I've actually been playing for 12 years now and it took me almost two years to really enjoy the guitar. Now I couldn't imagine a day without it, and listening to my favorites (Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, and the late Eddie Van Halen). 

Rock on and Go Ducks!

One of the best things I have done for myself. Harmonizing with other players is a great feeling. Like watching a perfectly tuned Defense.