Principal Duck

Eugene Air Quality

Up here in Portland the air is very similar to what it was during the terrible forest fires a couple years ago. The sky is dark and the air quality appears to be in the unhealthy category. This will be the first game I've gone to in a few years and I'm bringing the kids, so I'm wondering does anybody have any live reports of what it looks like in Eugene or how this may impact the game today?

According to aqicn.org, the air quality at Autzen is about the same as Portland, in the moderate range.  The forcast has N,NE breezes starting about 2:00 which is suppost to clear the air some to just patchy smoke.

Right now at Autzen it is 151: "Some members of the general public may experience health effects with 24 hours of exposure; members of sensitive groups may experience more serious health effects."

You can keep track at Purple Air. Just check the circle a little to the left of the intersection of I-5 and 126--that will be Autzen.

MAP.PURPLEAIR.COM

Real time measurement of air quality on a public map. Useful to community scientists or air quality professionals alike, PurpleAir...

On 9/10/2022 at 8:09 AM, Annie said:

Right now at Autzen it is 151: "Some members of the general public may experience health effects with 24 hours of exposure; members of sensitive groups may experience more serious health effects."

You can keep track at Purple Air. Just check the circle a little to the left of the intersection of I-5 and 126--that will be Autzen.

MAP.PURPLEAIR.COM

Real time measurement of air quality on a public map. Useful to community scientists or air quality professionals alike, PurpleAir...

I'm seeing 163.  I guess it's updated rapidly.

• Wow 1

On 9/10/2022 at 8:14 AM, Mic said:

I'm seeing 163.  I guess it's updated rapidly.

It is updated rapidly. It is now 170.

I don't know if I'm reading this correctly, but if I am it looks as if the wind will start coming from the West instead of the East around 2 pm today, which could help clear the air.

WWW.WINDFINDER.COM

Windfinder.com - Detailed wind & weather forecast for Mahlon Sweet Field Airport / Oregon, United States of America for...

I have to say it, 'It's never smoky in Autzen Stadium!' 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/10/2022 at 8:51 AM, Haywarduck said:

I have to say it, 'It's never smoky in Autzen Stadium!' 

What, you never attended a Deadhead gathering?

Supervising a group of hs students in a concession booth on the North rim of Autzen was a 'high' point in my life...

• Haha 1

From FishDuck Feed, a photo taken last night by someone flying into Eugene.

The air quality at Autzen is improving. It was 179 about an hour ago and now it is 153. It should continue to improve.

And...now it's 148.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/10/2022 at 10:25 AM, Annie said:

The air quality at Autzen is improving. It was 179 about an hour ago and now it is 153. It should continue to improve.

Good!  Maybe our receivers will be able to see the ball coming at 'em and make the catch....

(thanks for the updates, we're driving out in a couple hours)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/10/2022 at 10:33 AM, Mic said:

Good!  Maybe our receivers will be able to see the ball coming at 'em and make the catch....

(thanks for the updates, we're driving out in a couple hours)

You;re welcome and have a safe drive!

Lowell must be getting the brunt of the smoke now--it is up to a whopping 588 there! (While at Autzen it has already dropped a bit again down to 144.)

Down to 134 at Autzen.

Down to 114 at Autzen. So improving rapidly.

• Applause 1

On 9/10/2022 at 11:04 AM, Annie said:

Down to 114 at Autzen. So improving rapidly.

Tailgate On!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn’t the 2017 home opener really bad? I just remember smokey skies and KO return for a TD on the opening kick.

image.png.083907112cf9e4533f48245b4b0c300f.pngAs a comparison to the air quality after the Holiday Farm fire in 2020. That was about as bad as it could get without sticking your face into a campfire. So 110-150 ppm counts ain't great and 95°F at game time won't help, but the game will almost certainly be played, with minimal risk for players and fans.  Go Ducks!

It's going back up--131. 😞  Hope it drops again soon.

On 9/10/2022 at 7:54 AM, Principal Duck said:

This will be the first game I've gone to in a few years and I'm bringing the kids

On the VERY plus side, the smoke has blocked out most of the sun so instead of the 99 degrees that was forecasted it's currently about 80 degrees here in Eugene.

158 up here in Seattle. Ash has dusted all over the cars.