Pennsylvania Duck

No. 21 BYU Takes Down No. 9 Baylor, 26-20...Tough Game Next Week

That was one impressive game. The BYU defense is stout & they play as a team on both sides of the ball, the team looks united, focused, disciplined & very well coached. Our beloved Ducks must be well prepared for a huge challenge when the Cougars roll in Saturday. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

BYU 38-24

I wasn't impressed much at all with either team... The Baylor QB was bad 18-28 for 137 yards and 1 TD.

Baylor only went for 2.9 yards per carry and the Ducks went for 4.5 vrs Georgia. Baylor only had 289 total yards. 

The BYU defense isn't Georgia, we will put up over 400 yards on BYU - we put up 313 yards on UGA with two drives ending early from picks.

BYU only ran for 83 yards on 2.5 yards per carry. The BYU QB 23-39 for 261 yards that not high completion percentage or yards per pass. 

The BYU FG kicker was 2-4 and missed to chances to win the game with walk off kicks. 

From what I've seen; warts and all Bo Nix will be the better QB. The Ducks have better skill talent and OL. The Ducks defense showed they worked on fixing weakness in tackling and reads. 

I got the Ducks winning this game.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

As long as we see the team we saw yesterday against EWU I feelt confident. That team was focused and played well. Not perfectly by any means but they tackled well and there weren't a whole lot of blatantly missed assignments from the starting defense..

The offense was also calm and collected. It helps when playing with a lead but they never looked under control against Georgia. 

• Thumbs Up 2

From the FishDuck Feed: BYU vs Oregon...Scroll for complete info

WWW.ESPN.COM

Get a summary of the BYU Cougars vs. Oregon Ducks football game.

On 9/11/2022 at 8:06 AM, DazeNconfused said:

On paper alone Oregon SHOULD beat BYU but BYU will be pass heavy and attacking our edges.  Oregon's pass defense is still finding itself but BYU will not be able to rush anywhere near the middle.

I saw significant improvement from Oregon on fundamentals but more work is absolutely needed.  I'm really excited to see what the coaches can correct/adjust this week. 

Bo still made some bad decisions and that just can't happen.  When he played smart and trusted the next down he played really really well. 

I saw more than a few broken tackles for Oregon's offense but that was more about talent gap than scheme.  Still, it had to be a great confidence booster for the skill players.

I loved watching the EWU game but Oregon better play solid fundamentals football against BYU and let the talent gap and scheme do its work.  I have solid hopes that the coaching is taking hold and the players are cleaning up the fundamentals and slowly building out the playbook.

On 9/11/2022 at 10:11 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

On paper alone Oregon SHOULD beat BYU but BYU will be pass heavy and attacking our edges.  Oregon's pass defense is still finding itself but BYU will not be able to rush anywhere near the middle.

I saw significant improvement from Oregon on fundamentals but more work is absolutely needed.  I'm really excited to see what the coaches can correct/adjust this week. 

Bo still made some bad decisions and that just can't happen.  When he played smart and trusted the next down he played really really well. 

I saw more than a few broken tackles for Oregon's offense but that was more about talent gap than scheme.  Still, it had to be a great confidence booster for the skill players.

I loved watching the EWU game but Oregon better play solid fundamentals football against BYU and let the talent gap and scheme do its work.  I have solid hopes that the coaching is taking hold and the players are cleaning up the fundamentals and slowly building out the playbook.

The Ducks are going to get better every week, unlike peaking week 2 under Mario's bland system

Edited by DazeNconfused

I watched some of that game and became frustrated with both after awhile. Baylor is not known for extreme defense so.............

On 9/11/2022 at 8:06 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I wasn't impressed much at all with either team... The Baylor QB was bad 18-28 for 137 yards and 1 TD.

Baylor only went for 2.9 yards per carry and the Ducks went for 4.5 vrs Georgia. Baylor only had 289 total yards. 

The BYU defense isn't Georgia, we will put up over 400 yards on BYU - we put up 313 yards on UGA with two drives ending early from picks.

BYU only ran for 83 yards on 2.5 yards per carry. The BYU QB 23-39 for 261 yards that not high completion percentage or yards per pass. 

The BYU FG kicker was 2-4 and missed to chances to win the game with walk off kicks. 

From what I've seen; warts and all Bo Nix will be the better QB. The Ducks have better skill talent and OL. The Ducks defense showed they worked on fixing weakness in tackling and reads. 

So glad to have your factual input with a conclusion--great information for us all.  And gives us great hope...

Mr. FishDuck

One thing to keep in mind about Baylor is that they had (according to Phil Steele) the #7 offensive line and #4 defensive line units.  Baylor is a tough, physical, well-coached team that really attacks the line of scrimmage.  

Edited by BYUTexan
  • Thumbs Up 3

Just off the FishDuck Feed, Oregon Ducks open as touchdown favorites in top 25 matchup with BYU, line quickly moves closer

The line quickly moved towards BYU and is Oregon minus-3.5 as of 11:30 a.m. PT Sunday.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Oregon opened as a touchdown favorite in a top 25 matchup with BYU, but the line quickly moved closer to a field goal.

From the FishDuck Feed, some historical perspective to our game with BYU...Scroll to see complete details

GODUCKS.COM

The official University of Oregon Ducks Football History vs Brigham Young University

Must have been after the 1989 game that Rich Brooks vowed he would not take his team back to Provo.  Apparently the home cooking left a bad taste in his mouth.

From the FishDuck Feed...

Take stock of the Cougars’ offense, defense and special teams in 2022...Good article, highly recommend.

BYU returns as much production from its 2021 team (which went 10-3) as any other major college football program in the country.

They went 5-0 against the Pac-12, including a convincing 26-17 win over rival Utah. 

WWW.DESERET.COM

BYU football: Quarterback Jaren Hall and explosive offense expected to lead the way for Cougars in 2022, who kick off their...
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:11 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Big difference we saw this week from last week was that the secondary was playing a whole lot more man defense. They still got burned a few times but they didn't give up nearly as much underneath.

Against Georgia the Ducks were in zone and I think the design was to try and keep Georgia from going over the top. Their offense last year was all about a running game and taking some deeper shots. They changed that plan entirely against Oregon and it worked. However, Georgia had to score by getting into the red zone as Oregon didn't give them much of an opportunity to go right over their heads. Still an awful loss.

Another thing that was different against EWU was that the defensive line was always playing on the EWU side of the LoS. And that caused the Eastern Washington QB to throw a few balls that were rushed and off target. Now BYU is going to have better players than Eastern Washington but they are also not going to have a Georgia sized offensive line to contend with.

I think the coaches are going to have Oregon focused on their weaknesses.

In a way I feel like Oregon did to Eastern Washington like what Georgia did to us. Eastern Washington was beat super bad and they looked awful but at the same time we know they aren't an FCS basement dweller, they are a strong FCS program but Oregon made them look like a basement dweller. Just like what Georgia did to us. We are just going to have to play some more games to get a real sense of what this Duck team is made of, all we have now is two data points and they are extremes.

We'll see if BYU plays as well on the road as they do at home.

On 9/11/2022 at 1:34 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

From the FishDuck Feed, some historical perspective to our game with BYU...Scroll to see complete details

GODUCKS.COM

The official University of Oregon Ducks Football History vs Brigham Young University

A bit too old (2006 being the last time these two faced off together) to be of any real value for next week's game.  However, BYU is always tough.  Of course, Oregon might have the time zone change and low altitude factor in their favor.  

On 9/12/2022 at 1:36 AM, Mic said:

We'll see if BYU plays as well on the road as they do at home.

They were up 38-0 on the road in week 1 before they gave up any pts, and then put everything into cruise control.  The first 21 pts came in 7 1/2 minutes.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:44 AM, CougInOregon said:

They were up 38-0 on the road in week 1 before they gave up any pts, and then put everything into cruise control.  The first 21 pts came in 7 1/2 minutes.

That was So. Florida, tho, right?  Oregon should offer stiffer resistance.  Still, a win in Florida this time of the year is impressive.  We'll see...

From the FishDuck Feed, Nine Takeaways from BYU's Win Over Baylor. Read about run defense, Jaren Hall, the ROC and more. 

According to article, BYU showed many positives in their game.

WWW.SI.COM

9 Takeaways from BYU's huge win over the #9 Baylor Bears

From FishDuck Feed, BYU Football Head Coach Kalani Sitake talks with the media before their matchup with Oregon.  

On 9/12/2022 at 1:08 PM, Mic said:

That was So. Florida, tho, right?  Oregon should offer stiffer resistance.  Still, a win in Florida this time of the year is impressive.  We'll see...

Yes and yes, Oregon will be a much, much tougher test then USF.  

I think this game is going to be just as tough a test for us as Baylor was, but in different ways. While I know we can match Oregon's physicality, y'alls speed and scheme are going to prove a challenge and a tall order. I'm also worried about an emotional let down after the emotional roller coaster we went through with the 2 OT game against Baylor on Saturday night and thinking that we took too long celebrating the win in our minds before moving onto Oregon. Here's hoping to a great game and that my BYU cougars won't choke or not show up on Saturday.

Either way, it's a win/win for me.  Either my cougars win or my late father's ducks win.  

WATCH: No. 12 BYU vs No. 25 Oregon Betting Guide: Free Picks, Props, Best Bets | CBS Sports HQ...From Fishduck Feed

• Thumbs Up 1

Another good BYU article from the FishDuck Feed.

247SPORTS.COM

BYU QB Jaren Hall poses multiple challenges for Oregon's defense

From the FishDuck Feed, did you know we are paying BYU to play at Autzen? Read this article.

KSLSPORTS.COM

Saturday's BYU/Oregon game is a one-off matchup between the Ducks and Cougars. Oregon is paying BYU a large amount of...

• Like 1

BYU receivers' injury update, big factor in game.

From the FishDuck Feed, BYU game notes. Click on pics to enlarge and read notes.

• Like 1