Haywarduck

What Did We Learn?

The most important thing we learned was we aren't as bad as the Georgia game had some people thinking. How good are we, we still don't know.

Good news is we have a starting qb and two very capable back-ups. Nix is number 1, but Ty looked good enough to take over if we have an injury, or need a change.

There is an upside to the defense, I am just not sure how much. Much better performance by the D, but next week we need to see another level. DJ Johnson is still my favorite player!

OSU and WSU are real football teams. Wow, the Pac-12 isn't just two teams, and then the rest. The dawgs should have a wakeup call against the Spartans.

You can't buy a team! Texas A$M lost to the Mountaineers, and next week against the hurricanes will be the rebound game. College Station will be an ugly place to play after that show.

In the end we don't know anything other than we love our Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 8:24 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

According to Aaron Fentress...

Whenever somebody writes and uses absolutes such as zero, nothing, never, the best, absolutely, or only once, I know they are trying to sell something. 

I will say you know absolutely zero if you think we learned nothing from watching Ty last night ;). I will agree next week is the chance for Nix to step up, and win a big game, I hope he does.

Just winning games we should win isn't the standard anyone wants to see at Oregon under Dan Lanning. The next step is to win the big game, and here they come!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Other than the QB situation what we learned

If Irving learns to catch the ball out of the backfield he could be very dangerous as he has a great center of gravity and seems to ping pong off or run through would be tacklers. He also shows great agility and acceleration.

Ferguson is a beast and hope can keep it up against higher levels of competition.

Rogers is looking like a Great get at DT always around the ball and in the backfield even against Georgia. Pretty quick for such a big guy!

LBs and DB's need to find their rhythm in pass coverage. Quite a few third down coverages that were lacking, if it wasn't for drop passes and erratic throws there would have been a lot more pickups on 3rd down. Seem to me that they were not always on the same page and there was a lot of frantic talking in the backfield presnap.

Dilly's offensive approach is a breath of fresh air! Love seeing wheel routes outside runs and screen passes on 3rd and 3 rather than a run up the middle.

The good and the bad summed up is that as long as the offense avoids costly mistakes they will be doing just fine. Defense is doing a good job with the run game but really needs improvement in pass coverage from LB's and DB's.

• Thumbs Up 1

I learned that the guy who sat behind me at the game is annoying. Apparently, the Ducks should have had him on their list of head coaching candidates. 

Also, that the Ducks will be a much better team by the end of this season. The new offense and defense still needs a few more games. 

Edited by Drake
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Yikes! 1
  • Haha 3

That the offense will be more innovative than last few years. 

Learned that we now have solid receivers and the TE's will be used more than under MC.

Bo still try's to force passes and was lucky he wasn't intercepted a few times. Played decently though.

Rather than feature a few backs we will see KD use multi pack backs through out the year. They want to play players that can play.

On 9/11/2022 at 10:55 AM, Duckhart said:

Bo still try's to force passes and was lucky he wasn't intercepted a few times. Played decently though.

Was it the forced ball or the lack of precision, and putting the ball where his player has the best shot at catching the ball? Seems like Nix, sometimes lacks the ability to put the ball where it needs to go, rather than just in the direction of the open receiver.

Against better competition if you don't put the ball exactly where it needs to be it will be a 50/50 or worse ball. We were fortunate the 'or worse ball' bounced off the defender and into our TE's hands. Going forward those passes need to be on the other side of the receiver. 

What I saw with Ty was bullets right to his receivers. He seems to throw a ball much more like Justin does, but it is a small sample size, so far.

Bo earned the next start, but I was more impressed with the balls Ty threw.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think we learned that EW's phones are probably ringing off the hook with SEC offers for a payday game around week 9 in their schedules.

• Haha 3

We learned that DL is willing to get some game reps in for Ty and Jay. We also learned that BN is decent under the right circumstances.

I think we are a bit better at tackling than we thought---hopefully.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2022 at 11:05 AM, Haywarduck said:

Was it the forced ball or the lack of precision, and putting the ball where his player has the best shot at catching the ball? Seems like Nix, sometimes lacks the ability to put the ball where it needs to go, rather than just in the direction of the open receiver.

I agree in that he doesn't seem to have that knack of putting the ball where it needs to be and he seems to have that gunslinger style while out of the pocket where he's not afraid of risky throws. Thats ok as long as you can lead your receiver into a deep throw, however if he slings under the D and into coverage he seems to force it with a hopeful pin point pass.

I think he will improve more so under this offense as the season goes on.

Cada McNamara will be transfering from Michigan soon, so the portal QB will still be available... 😁😁😁

Based on what I've seen thus far, I learned that the following just may be true.

18199625_GAnotoverrated.JPG.cb4391f05fd6fa4fcda0887b64a569d2.JPG

We lost to the best team in the nation.

We beat a below average team with average play.

Bo can’t wait to leave the pocket therefore throws a lot of iffy passes on the run and has yet to be sacked.

Our receivers look above average after catching the ball.

Our DBs play too far off receivers.

Our underneath coverage is really quite awful.

Flowe is relentless and Noah seems to have regressed.

Our best 2 backs didn’t get involved till late in the game.

Ty Thompson can wing it. Which we all knew.

We will learn more next week playing a team with almost as equal talent.

• Thumbs Up 2