Duckman

Running Back by Committee: Who Looks Best?

Good to see a lot touches for the top-four running backs but I wonder if the coaches will tighten the rotation as the season progresses.  Based on the first two games, my order is listed below.  I suspect it differs from that of coaches based on the playing rotation but who knows at this point...

1. Dollars: good patience and vision and nice burst when he hits the hole.  Also the best pass catcher among the running backs and demonstrated good blocking.  Looks like the most well rounded back.

2. Cardwell: essentially 1b to Dollars' 1a.  Also good patience and vision and showing the ability to shed blocks and move the pile forward.  Also some nice pass catches out of the backfield.

3. Irving: he is a solid RB but not a good pass catcher.  The top-three here would be my preferred rotation.

4. Whittington: seems like a gadget back.  Good speed and quickness but lacks vision and is undersized.

5. James: he didn't really flash (who did?) in his reps against Georgia but passes the eye test.

What do others think?

Dollars and Cardwell can do a lot.. neither are bruisers though, though Cardwell is built more for it than Dollars. 

Irving did have the most rush yards against EWU. He is really a traditional back of just handing him the ball. I has not been good at catching the ball when thrown the ball right at him. But he has the power.

Whittington is interesting... He has had some very good plays and he can squeeze through some holes. He also had a few nice cuts. 

I feel Whittington and Dollars are similar in their function and Cardwell and Irving are similar in their potential usues. However, Cardwell is potentially more versatile as he has much much better hands. 

Irving is a thumper though and sometimes you just need to punish the opposition. 

Anyone else notice how many more stiffarms are being used overall? 

Did someone mention stiff arm? (X10 quality factor based on opponent)

9B62FE41-BA1B-4E01-ABEC-20827347587F.jpeg.170150b915e79be6c850e530e4683d2d.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Cardwell looks best so far over the 2 games. Irving had a good game yesterday but the jury is still out on him for me. 

I think as the season matures Cardwell will get a bigger workload.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked some of the wiggles by Walk-on Running Back No. 29 Kilohana Haasenritter!

No. 29 Kilohana Haasenritter.jpg

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Yep….nice TD run from the walk on yesterday.

Irving, Cardwell, & Dollars stand out the most.  Need more time to get a true pecking order from there. 

Cardwell looks like a solid every down back.

Dollars seams smooth and under control with good vision.

Irving feels like once he settles down and starts catching the ball he could be the biggest weapon out of the backfield. Shifty with power and a he keeps his feet turning thru contact. 

Whittington seams apprehensive.

Haasenritter looked like the most elusive back we have, hope to see him play some more.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My two cents worth:

Cardwell (40%), and Dollars (40%).  Then Irving (10%) and Whittington (10%) to provide a rest for fresh legs or in case of injury to first two.  In case of blow out in 2nd half rest Cardwell &Dollars and let the other 4 take turns.

Both Cardwell and Dollars run strong and fast.  Both have good hands for receiving passes out of backfield.  This makes them my two favorites.

• Thumbs Up 3

There is a reason Whittington has been the starter thus far.  Among other talents he clearly has the best 0-60 speed.  Aside from that none of the Duck RB’s have elite top end speed to outrun the defense, ala  Stewart, LMJ, DeAnthony Thomas.

Last season playing behind Verdell and Dye, Cardwell had 61 attempts running the ball averaging 6.8 yards per carry. 

In the Colorado game he ran for 127 yards.  One of those showed his speed at hitting the hole and running for 34 yards.  He's had very few chances to demonstrate his speed.

Just my opinion; I think he needs more opportunities!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2022 at 9:59 AM, Duckman said:

Good to see a lot touches for the top-four running backs but I wonder if the coaches will tighten the rotation as the season progresses. 

What do others think?

Whittington &  5-$'s...   and that gutsy kid from Hawaii with the odd name.  You want effort from your back like that kid shows - on every run.

• Go Ducks! 1

Looks like I'm the first one to sort of see it like the coaches so far. Irving appears to have that good initial burst (1-4 yards). He gets to holes and through holes quickly. I think the pass catching will improve (but I only see 8 catches last year at Minnesota so it will be something I'm sure people will be watching).

Whittington similarly accelerates well and flashes some power, and seems to be the most comfortable pushing through piles and traffic.

Dollars appears to be returning to form nicely from injury and had shown a nice playmaking ability. It won't surprise me if his role increases if he continues to be as productive.

Cardwell, while not as big, reminds me a bit of Blount (or maybe Royce to a lesser extent) in that maybe it takes a few steps for his burst to arrive ( not meant as a put down as both were plenty successful). He certainly shows good vision and picking up his blocking. 6.84 ypc and 8 of his 61 carries going for 20+ last year certainly flashes some big play capability.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2022 at 2:03 PM, AnotherOD said:

Cardwell, while not as big, reminds me a bit of Blount (or maybe Royce to a lesser extent) in that maybe it takes a few steps for his burst to arrive ( not meant as a put down as both were plenty successful). He certainly shows good vision and picking up his blocking. 6.84 ypc and 8 of his 61 carries going for 20+ last year certainly flashes some big play capability.

Cardwell actually reminds me a lot of Tyner, when Tyner was healthy. Decent size but is shifty and can have a good burst of speed. 

• Thumbs Up 2