Pennsylvania Duck

Nebraska Fires Scott Frost

Scott Frost fired as Nebraska coach following 1-2 start

APNEWS.COM

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Nebraska fired Scott Frost on Sunday, the situation so dire in the once-proud football program that athletic...

And the coach at Georgia-Southern who drove the last nail?  Clay Helton!

Lifelong fans celebrate Clay Helton's firing – Annenberg Media

Mr. FishDuck

A little bit of humor from the FishDuck Feed for this post yesterday.

Welp…so much for the buyout concern…lol

• Thumbs Up 1

In three weeks his buyout would decrease by $7.5 million, must be nice to have that kind of money to waste.  

That means the key date to watch for a potential coaching change is October 1. Thanks to a restructured contract that Frost and Nebraska negotiated last year, Frost’s buyout goes from $15 million to $7.5 million, which is enough of a drop for Nebraska to potentially pull the plug on the head coach.

WWW.MSN.COM

The Nebraska coach's buyout number decreases significantly in the middle of the season.

What next, Notre Dame throws in the towel on their new coach? Where would we be if Dan was 0-2, or 1-3?

Helping Nebraska win a title as a player probably helped him keep his job longer than expected. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2022 at 11:24 AM, McDuck said:

In three weeks his buyout would decrease by $7.5 million, must be nice to have that kind of money to waste.  

That means the key date to watch for a potential coaching change is October 1. Thanks to a restructured contract that Frost and Nebraska negotiated last year, Frost’s buyout goes from $15 million to $7.5 million, which is enough of a drop for Nebraska to potentially pull the plug on the head coach.

WWW.MSN.COM

The Nebraska coach's buyout number decreases significantly in the middle of the season.

On 9/11/2022 at 11:36 AM, Haywarduck said:

What next, Notre Dame throws in the towel on their new coach? Where would we be if Dan was 0-2, or 1-3?

Frost was already on this ice from last year. He restructured his contract and it cut his buyout in half I think and his salary for 2022 dropped 1 million. Frost agreed to all that, he knew his job was on the line before fall camp kicked off.

I'd same some rich boosters ponied up the 7.5 extra 7.5 million to buy him out now. USC boosters did the same thing to fire Clay Helton.

I'm sure the Huskers are thinking they are going to be like USC and make a splash hire like Riley.

Lets hope we don't have to find out in 2 weeks. 

If losing close games counted for anything, Frost would be beloved in Nebraska. 

I wonder if he will get an opportunity to reunite with Chip?  They were close when both were in Eugene and he should have good insight if and when the Bruins transition to the B1G.

• Cool 1

Frost had several years worth of failure at Nebraska.  Notre Dame's coach has only had the job for 3 games, 2 of those were last year's bowl game and this year against Ohio State.  I'd give him a little more slack if I were a Notre Dame fan (I'm not).

It will be interesting to see who Nebraska gets.  Any thoughts, group?

On 9/11/2022 at 1:44 PM, TexasDuck said:

Nicky Saban?  

I mean, if they have millions to waste why not offer Nicky $500 million for a 1-year contract?  Then fire him if he doesn't win the National Championship.

Nebraska will likely snipe some winning teams best assistant head coach or O.C.  They should retain SF as the QB coach.

On 9/11/2022 at 1:52 PM, Mic said:

They should retain SF as the QB coach

I was gonna say, Oregon could use a good QB coach, apparently. 

Or is it too soon?

On 9/11/2022 at 4:52 PM, Mic said:

There is a lot of discussion on replacements for Frost online. Here are a couple...

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

Scott Frost is out at Nebraska. 

ATHLONSPORTS.COM

A complete breakdown of which coaches could be candidates to Scott Frost at Nebraska.

Urban Meyer🤪

On 9/11/2022 at 2:08 PM, Krsmqn said:

I was gonna say, Oregon could use a good QB coach, apparently. 

Or is it too soon?

Dunno.  Based on just the 2 games we've seen, one poor, one fantastic, it's hard to say.  I'd say wait at least to the end of the season.  I doubt anyone will be snagging SF right away, tho I could be wrong on that.  I doubt Chip Kelly wants him but if he does, the'll have to wait till the season's over too because the Bruins are doing well right now.  He could get snagged as an un-paid analyst somewhere, but I say we should wait a bit, first.

There is a sense that Nebraska is so desperate to right the ship, that they might be willing to give Urban everything he wants. Does Urban want the challenge of a rebuild at this juncture of his life? Time will tell

Not counting the two or three interim coaches every head coach since Tom Osborne hung up his whistle in 1997 has been fired.  That includes Bo Pelini and his 67-27 record.  I guess they leave financially secure with their buyout but still.

On 9/11/2022 at 12:46 PM, McDuck said:

I wonder if he will get an opportunity to reunite with Chip?  They were close when both were in Eugene and he should have good insight if and when the Bruins transition to the B1G.

And how about Helfrich, the Three Amigos, Ran One hell of a offense and with tempo too.  The parts of the "Trifecta" needed to blur the lines. . .   Ok, that is just some CRAZY TALK, I know.  But then would you call back ALL the old guys from the past, bring them from retirement to have ONE LAST SHOT at the Natty? ? ?  Hey Campbell, Greatwood, Aliotti, Pellum, Azzinaro, Neal and Osborne.  Along with Strength and Conditioning Jim Radcliffe.  One could dream couldn't we, LOL.  With the Title, "Make Nebraska Great Again" total sarcasm, intended.

On 9/11/2022 at 2:10 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

There is a lot of discussion on replacements for Frost online. Here are a couple...

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

Scott Frost is out at Nebraska. 

ATHLONSPORTS.COM

A complete breakdown of which coaches could be candidates to Scott Frost at Nebraska.

Word in the Twitterverse is that they covet Tom Herman

Edited by Augduck

Too bad he's going to only get a few million to go away.  Poor fellow.  Welp, I guess you can't recruit to Lincoln, either.

On 9/11/2022 at 6:51 PM, EzDucksIt said:

And how about Helfrich, the Three Amigos, Ran One hell of a offense and with tempo too. 

BOTH Frost and Kelly have approached Helfrich with interest in hiring him. He said no to both of them.

At this point I get the feeling Helfrich is happy with his millions and spending time with his family and pursuing other things in life. I know he has appeared as an analyst a few times for a variety of games. The demands of the college game these days are more intense than ever and I don't know if Helfrich wants it bad enough for those stresses.

Let's be completely honest here... if Helfrich wanted to return to the college game any Group of Five program and many Power Five programs would jump at the opportunity. His record at Oregon was 37-16. That is a solid winning record. And for the record his recruiting was not outside the norm for Oregon at the time.

FISHDUCK.COM

Mark Helfrich is generally considered the worst recruiter in modern Oregon football history. He is a coach who oversaw some of...

That staff of veteran coaches did get caught out by the new social media recruiting trends which hurt them. But I also get the sense that Helfrich does not want to dive back into the college game because of the recruiting aspect. That alone eats up the majority of coaches' time and back to my earlier point, I think he really likes having time to spend with his family and that outweighs his desire to return to coaching.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow! Just saw this...Scott Frost made off well

What would seem to be amazing about this move is they spent $7.5 million without knowing their next move. I could see firing Frost if somebody was going to get hired by somebody else, or you had somebody ready to go, but Nebraska has none of that. They seem to have no plan other than no more Frost.

As far as planning, if Helfrich wanted to be a head coach again he would be working on his craft, and he isn't. The guy is the perfect Saban hire, but he doesn't seem to want to work at it.

He is like a golfer with the yips. A once great coach melted under pressure and has never recovered. He tried the Senior Circuit, the NFL, failed there, and now does some commentary. I suppose like a very good golfer, you have plenty of money, and time is the most important commodity, good for him.

On 9/11/2022 at 2:27 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Urban Meyer🤪

Meyer would fit perfectly for Nebraska. Bet he's a serious consideration.

Peterson would be an excellent hire.

• Applause 1

What is tougher following a legend who was successful, or a legend who failed. I doubt either are enviable jobs, but somebody will be enticed by the money, I mean challenge.

Has there really been a coaching position like this? A successful legend comes back to rebuild a program, and fails. The Nebraska job almost seems like the toughest job I can think of. Expectations extremely high, chance of success extremely low.

Agree Petersen or Meyer seem like the only choices who could be up to the task. Petersen would seem to be the only one who has the integrity Nebraska seems to demand, since Bo. In my opinion it is Petersen or another failure.

Guess who will be Nick Saban's next OC guys???? 😂 

• Wow 1

Hasn't Petersen made it abundantly clear he has no interest in a return to coaching?  He is or was deeply involved in the Washington NIL program and I thought he also worked in some capacity for the athletic department.  He is a West Coast guy with the last 30 years in the PNW.  Obviously he is financially secure.

Why would he even consider leaving Seattle for Lincoln, NE?

On 9/12/2022 at 8:43 AM, McDuck said:

Why would he even consider leaving Seattle for Lincoln, NE?

$$$$

Petersen reportedly has a net worth north of $10 million and turns 60 next year.  In other words he is financially secure.  He doesn't want to return to coaching.  If he did he would be on his second stint as HC at Washington as it would be total incomitance if the AD didn't inquire after firing Jimmy Lake.  I'm fairly certain Oregon would have asked also.

Sorry, don't see him at Nebraska.

Petersen will average $5,000,000/Yr with his Fox Sports gig.

Easy money!

On 9/12/2022 at 8:02 AM, Duckhart said:

Peterson would be an excellent hire.

Peterson is burned out and has said as much.  He couldn't keep up with the recruiting effort that's necessary nowadays so he left.

Edited by kirklandduck

On 9/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, kirklandduck said:

Peterson is burned out and has said as much.  He couldn't keep up with the recruiting effort that's necessary nowadays so he left.

Recruiting is brutal. I think like many coaches who have left coaching it is from recruiting alone. I'm sure he would still be coaching if all he had to do was coach. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2022 at 1:02 PM, kirklandduck said:

Notre Dame's coach has only had the job for 3 games, 2 of those were last year's bowl game and this year against Ohio State.  I'd give him a little more slack if I were a Notre Dame fan (I'm not).

Agreed - We are fans of both ND and OBD.   It was tough to watch the game last Saturday.   Their offense was very painful, similar the Mario prevent-offense.   Freeman just didn't seem to have much of a clue and couldn't adjust (sound familiar?).   So yeah, he may not last long there, but I would expect ND to give him at least a whole season if not more.   They also might have lost their starting QB in the game.   So this will be a tough season.  Unfortunately we are flying there to see the Cal game this weekend.   It would be our first ND game in person.  🙁   I guess we will at least get to experience the atmosphere of the large stadium and compare it with our experiences at Autzen.   All else fails, we still get to see our daughter for a family reunion...🙂

• Applause 1

Scott Frost has epitomized The Peter Principle for over a decade now.  Each successor that followed him on his career climb while at Oregon outshined him.   I don't say this out of any animosity towards the guy....I was psyched when Chip brought him in.....he just seemed underwhelming to me.  

Except when he held back LGB from tearing Bryon Hout's head off.....now that was impressive and exceeded my expectations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is Urban interested?

Urban Meyer: What went wrong at Nebraska, how to fix it

On 9/14/2022 at 3:42 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Is Urban interested?

Urban Meyer: What went wrong at Nebraska, how to fix it

From reading this article I'd say UM might be letting out his feelers and letting Nebraska know he's interested. 

• Like 1

This is bizarre.  With all the jobs out there that would be TONS easier to recruit to--Meyer goes there?  He is already wealthy, so I assume he is taking on the ultimate challenge.  Proving to all he is still a great coach?

Jaguars coach Urban Meyer leaves door open for non-Trevor Lawrence pick in  NFL Draft | Sporting News

Mr. FishDuck

Urban Meyer is an analyst for Fox Sports.  Oklahoma visits Lincoln for a game Saturday covered by (drum roll please) Fox Sports.  I'll take a guess Mr. Meyer is working the game.  If so wouldn't it be logical he would interview the AD?

On 9/11/2022 at 9:44 PM, David Marsh said:

BOTH Frost and Kelly have approached Helfrich with interest in hiring him. He said no to both of them.

At this point I get the feeling Helfrich is happy with his millions and spending time with his family and pursuing other things in life. I know he has appeared as an analyst a few times for a variety of games. The demands of the college game these days are more intense than ever and I don't know if Helfrich wants it bad enough for those stresses.

Let's be completely honest here... if Helfrich wanted to return to the college game any Group of Five program and many Power Five programs would jump at the opportunity. His record at Oregon was 37-16. That is a solid winning record. And for the record his recruiting was not outside the norm for Oregon at the time.

FISHDUCK.COM

Mark Helfrich is generally considered the worst recruiter in modern Oregon football history. He is a coach who oversaw some of...

That staff of veteran coaches did get caught out by the new social media recruiting trends which hurt them. But I also get the sense that Helfrich does not want to dive back into the college game because of the recruiting aspect. That alone eats up the majority of coaches' time and back to my earlier point, I think he really likes having time to spend with his family and that outweighs his desire to return to coaching.

With all due respect to Helfrich, his flameout at the end of his career would be a real hurdle to most programs. He would need to resurrect the reputation he had at the beginning because the bowl loss, then going 4-8 won't have programs writing big checks. There is no sign he wants to put it that kind of work.

He is going to be viewed much like Frost, who also built a lot of his reputation at Oregon. Both turned their Oregon coaching opportunity into a head coaching job, and then fizzled after some success. 

Scott Frost might also build a very nice house with a big porch to sit on while checking his bank account, occasionally. I tend to think Frost might be a little more ambition, time will tell.