FishDuck Article

BYU Will Tell Us Who This Oregon Team Is

Getting walloped by Georgia did not tell us much about this Oregon team, other than the broad diagnosis of needing to improve across the board. Walloping Eastern Washington did not tell us much about this Oregon team, other than, “OK, we do not have a Georgia hangover.” And, thankfully, unlike the 2015 game against Eastern, the Ducks did not surrender ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of Fishduck.com believes that Oregon's next game against BYU will tell us where the Ducks are as a team.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I am more interested in seeing the heart of the Ducks when we play BYU.  I certainly hope we win, but that is secondary to me at this point. 

How will they respond when BYU hits them in the mouth like Georgia did?  This BYU team reminds me of the old Stanford teams when they were good.

And I am hoping to see some deep balls thrown.  We have the receivers and the Arm to go deep.  I really do not want to get into a slug-fest with BYU.

Go Ducks

• Like 1

Prior to taking the first snap against GA, I think the tea leaves were telling us that the BYU game would be the early season measuring stick on how this team should be gauged. 

From a team ranking perspective, the Dawgs are running on a full tank of gas while EW is running close to empty.  Using those comparisons, I would say BYU is at minimum, a ¾ tank full of gas.

Their game against Baylor was far from pretty, but given that the Cougars were missing a few key pieces on offense, they had to make it ugly.  That’s a dangerous proposition when facing a team that has Dave Aranda on its sideline.  The Bears live in ugly but got out-uglied at their own game.  BYU just finds ways to win, and if nothing else, that game tells us they’ll be bringing a very physical caliber of football to Eugene on Saturday. 

As far as WSU is concerned, they should not just be viewed as a top 25 party school but should also be taken seriously as a top 25 football program.  When the Ducks play them, they are going to have to match their effort for 60 minutes.  It’s apparent the team has bought in to what Dickert is selling and gave it their all, particularly on defense, for the entire contest.  That game was one more with heart and effort than it was with execution. 

When you suggest we should “stay tuned”, you are darn right we should stay tuned.  The first two games obviously counted in the wins and losses columns, but they were really just the prelims for the upcoming two weeks of football. 

True team analysis can begin in earnest on the 17th.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

We have to grow and build as the season progresses. The question is can we develop enough to beat a very good BYU team.

The biggest unanswered question is how tough is this team going to be at Autzen. Our previous coach did pretty well at Autzen, losing only once, his first year, in overtime to the team called a color. Does this team step it up a notch when defending it's home turf.

We know they have to learn how to turn it on when on the road. WSU will be another test there. The question I have is will this team do what most fans expect?

We need the Ducks to win at Autzen, beat teams they are expected to defeat, while beating the beavs, the dawgs, and this year the trojans if they get to the championship game. Those are the boxes I want to see checked off under Dan Lanning. I wonder how many will get checked off this year. Winning the big game on the road is one I can wait on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Darren, thanks, as always, for taking the time to present this article. I agree as a fan feeling vulnerable and apprehensive about a potential 1-3 start. After the beatdown in Atlanta i had a tight knot in my stomach but after the EWU game that knot has loosened abit. Your concerns are valid as we have a top 20 program coming to town. Much like Georgia, BYU has a well established system in place. They have many 3rd and 4th year players. Continuity is a valuable strength. BYU will be a tremendous test for the Ducks. One that they can handle.

I apologize for beating the same drum but as long as Coach Lanning and Dilly scheme and game plan to their players skill sets then BYU is at a disadvantage in this game. These players were recruited and developed to run block. The Dawgs, with all that NFL talent and EWU could not stop the Ducks running game. BYU will have no answer either. Pound the ball until they stop you. Keep their D off balance and guessing. This opens up the short and intermediate passing lanes. Routes that Bo, Ty or Jay can hit accurately and move the chains and score points 

Autzen and the fans give the Ducks a 3-7 point advantage. You are spot on Darren that Bo should not make careless mistakes and lose that advantage.

WSU took a gamble against Whisky by putting 7 or 8 in the box. Thus leaving the DB's in man coverage. Whisky is one dimensional (power run game) and does not pose a passing threat. Great call by the Cougars coaching staff. Their Defense played with tenacity and like no Cougar Defense i have seen. Attended my first Cougar game in 1958, so I have seen a few. 

Unlike Whisky the Ducks have some talented and dangerous receivers. It's just a matter of time before one of these players takes it to the house on a slant.  Personally I am itching for a long bomb but hoping against it. Just take what the twin Cougars defenses give us. Bo throws picks when he forces the throws. He looked good against EWU. No reason he wont the next 2 weeks.

I have no comment to make about our Ducks D because the sample size is too small. Takes time for a D to jell with new players and new schemes. But the talent is their!

The Ducks should win both games. The challenge will be difficult but these are teams that Oregon should beat. My knot is tightening again....

Darren, i agree that other PAC teams are showing improvement. Almost all against Group of Five and FCS schools. Beating schools you should beat as a Power 5 school. I believe the PAC is 1-6 against Power 5 in non conference games. This weekend will give us a better picture with Sparty vs the butt sniffers and our Duck game. The stakes are high........

GO DUCKS!

On 9/12/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Getting walloped by Georgia did not tell us much about this Oregon team, other than the broad diagnosis of needing to improve across the board. Walloping Eastern Washington did not tell us much about this Oregon team, other than,

FISHDUCK.COM

I concur.  The first two were just about mirror-opposites of each other; very misleading.  This Saturday's game against the Cougars will be the real litmus test of how this season is likely to go for the Ducks.  Oregon is very fortunate to have this one at home and not in Provo.  They needs the fans to show up for this one - not 47,000 fans but a total sellout - with all the noise they can muster.  BYU, Lanning and his staff should experience the full Autzen deal.  Our Ducks will need it.

I don't ever remember a September as telling as this one.  My pre-season prediction was going 2-2 in September with a loss to either BYU or WSU.  Agree it's a little scary that dropping both of those games is a real possibility.  Of course winning them both is a real possibility too!

On 9/12/2022 at 5:58 AM, Pac10again said:

I am more interested in seeing the heart of the Ducks when we play BYU.  I certainly hope we win, but that is secondary to me at this point. 

How will they respond when BYU hits them in the mouth like Georgia did?  This BYU team reminds me of the old Stanford teams when they were good.

And I am hoping to see some deep balls thrown.  We have the receivers and the Arm to go deep.  I really do not want to get into a slug-fest with BYU.

Go Ducks

It will be a battle and a true test and measuring stick. Hopefully, the Ducks come out on top. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/12/2022 at 6:33 AM, Jester said:

Prior to taking the first snap against GA, I think the tea leaves were telling us that the BYU game would be the early season measuring stick on how this team should be gauged. 

From a team ranking perspective, the Dawgs are running on a full tank of gas while EW is running close to empty.  Using those comparisons, I would say BYU is at minimum, a ¾ tank full of gas.

Their game against Baylor was far from pretty, but given that the Cougars were missing a few key pieces on offense, they had to make it ugly.  That’s a dangerous proposition when facing a team that has Dave Aranda on its sideline.  The Bears live in ugly but got out-uglied at their own game.  BYU just finds ways to win, and if nothing else, that game tells us they’ll be bringing a very physical caliber of football to Eugene on Saturday. 

As far as WSU is concerned, they should not just be viewed as a top 25 party school but should also be taken seriously as a top 25 football program.  When the Ducks play them, they are going to have to match their effort for 60 minutes.  It’s apparent the team has bought in to what Dickert is selling and gave it their all, particularly on defense, for the entire contest.  That game was one more with heart and effort than it was with execution. 

When you suggest we should “stay tuned”, you are darn right we should stay tuned.  The first two games obviously counted in the wins and losses columns, but they were really just the prelims for the upcoming two weeks of football. 

True team analysis can begin in earnest on the 17th.

Great points, I agree. 

On 9/12/2022 at 6:56 AM, Haywarduck said:

We have to grow and build as the season progresses. The question is can we develop enough to beat a very good BYU team.

The biggest unanswered question is how tough is this team going to be at Autzen. Our previous coach did pretty well at Autzen, losing only once, his first year, in overtime to the team called a color. Does this team step it up a notch when defending it's home turf.

We know they have to learn how to turn it on when on the road. WSU will be another test there. The question I have is will this team do what most fans expect?

We need the Ducks to win at Autzen, beat teams they are expected to defeat, while beating the beavs, the dawgs, and this year the trojans if they get to the championship game. Those are the boxes I want to see checked off under Dan Lanning. I wonder how many will get checked off this year. Winning the big game on the road is one I can wait on.

This a tough game, at home, that the Ducks should win. But, are they in a place as a team that will win the games that they should? We'll find out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/12/2022 at 8:38 AM, Mic said:

I concur.  The first two were just about mirror-opposites of each other; very misleading.  This Saturday's game against the Cougars will be the real litmus test of how this season is likely to go for the Ducks.  Oregon is very fortunate to have this one at home and not in Provo.  They needs the fans to show up for this one - not 47,000 fans but a total sellout - with all the noise they can muster.  BYU, Lanning and his staff should experience the full Autzen deal.  Our Ducks will need it.

Yup, it all starts this week, time to step up and play up to potential. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, noDucknewby said:

I don't ever remember a September as telling as this one.  My pre-season prediction was going 2-2 in September with a loss to either BYU or WSU.  Agree it's a little scary that dropping both of those games is a real possibility.  Of course winning them both is a real possibility too!

Yup, it kinda all feels up in the air right now. But, I think they can get to 3-1. 

On 9/12/2022 at 8:01 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Darren, thanks, as always, for taking the time to present this article. I agree as a fan feeling vulnerable and apprehensive about a potential 1-3 start. After the beatdown in Atlanta i had a tight knot in my stomach but after the EWU game that knot has loosened abit. Your concerns are valid as we have a top 20 program coming to town. Much like Georgia, BYU has a well established system in place. They have many 3rd and 4th year players. Continuity is a valuable strength. BYU will be a tremendous test for the Ducks. One that they can handle.

I apologize for beating the same drum but as long as Coach Lanning and Dilly scheme and game plan to their players skill sets then BYU is at a disadvantage in this game. These players were recruited and developed to run block. The Dawgs, with all that NFL talent and EWU could not stop the Ducks running game. BYU will have no answer either. Pound the ball until they stop you. Keep their D off balance and guessing. This opens up the short and intermediate passing lanes. Routes that Bo, Ty or Jay can hit accurately and move the chains and score points 

Autzen and the fans give the Ducks a 3-7 point advantage. You are spot on Darren that Bo should not make careless mistakes and lose that advantage.

WSU took a gamble against Whisky by putting 7 or 8 in the box. Thus leaving the DB's in man coverage. Whisky is one dimensional (power run game) and does not pose a passing threat. Great call by the Cougars coaching staff. Their Defense played with tenacity and like no Cougar Defense i have seen. Attended my first Cougar game in 1958, so I have seen a few. 

Unlike Whisky the Ducks have some talented and dangerous receivers. It's just a matter of time before one of these players takes it to the house on a slant.  Personally I am itching for a long bomb but hoping against it. Just take what the twin Cougars defenses give us. Bo throws picks when he forces the throws. He looked good against EWU. No reason he wont the next 2 weeks.

I have no comment to make about our Ducks D because the sample size is too small. Takes time for a D to jell with new players and new schemes. But the talent is their!

The Ducks should win both games. The challenge will be difficult but these are teams that Oregon should beat. My knot is tightening again....

Darren, i agree that other PAC teams are showing improvement. Almost all against Group of Five and FCS schools. Beating schools you should beat as a Power 5 school. I believe the PAC is 1-6 against Power 5 in non conference games. This weekend will give us a better picture with Sparty vs the butt sniffers and our Duck game. The stakes are high........

GO DUCKS!

Great points. It would be great to see the vertical passing game open up against a good team.