Charles Fischer

That Was a Better "Get-Well" Game Than Anticipated...

Oregon is about to face it's highest rated opponent on the schedule this week, and I'd love to have more games under our belt before facing them.  Yet while Oregon is "not there yet," we made more progress than I thought we would going into this last game with the Eagles.

Nothing was perfect; while I liked the balance of running versus passing and the unpredictability of the play-calling...I would have liked to seen some downfield shots taken with Franklin and Thornton.

The defense broke down on a number of plays, yet overall took a big step up.  And we got to see a ton of newbies play, and it was fun to see Patrick Herbert out there making some good blocks.

IMHO...we are not ready yet for BYU, but we made bigger strides than I thought.  I don't like my gut-feel about this game, yet if we play well, it is at Autzen!

So great to see Cam McCormick score...

Cam McCormick by Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I agree.  My biggest positive takeaway is that the lopsided score allowed for a lot or reps for the backups.  Under the previous coaches, I suspect that it could have been two score game at halftime under as they would have used the game to demand 'physicality' by repeatedly running it up the middle.  So, starters would have have to stay on the field for longer meaning more chance for injuries and less reps for younger players. 

Also, is just me, or does the OL play seem more cohesive this year relative to the past couple years?

On 9/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, Duckman said:

I agree.  My biggest positive takeaway is that the lopsided score allowed for a lot or reps for the backups.  Under the previous coaches, I suspect that it could have been two score game at halftime under as they would have used the game to demand 'physicality' by repeatedly running it up the middle.  So, starters would have have to stay on the field for longer meaning more chance for injuries and less reps for younger players. 

Also, is just me, or does the OL play seem more cohesive this year relative to the past couple years?

It seems that way to my untrained eye.   

On 9/12/2022 at 9:58 AM, Duckman said:

I did not notice that, but saw a few-too-many missed blocks for my preference.

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/12/2022 at 9:44 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Nothing was perfect; while I liked the balance of running versus passing and the unpredictability of the play-calling...I would have liked to seen some downfield shots taken with Franklin and Thornton.

I have a feeling that maybe Dillingham will continue to keep the offense dialed back for Nix because he may have accuracy issues on the longer passes.  Either that or they can't trust him to be patient because it takes time for those downfield routes to be run.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with your assessment and general wariness.  I thought the focus on practicing fundamentals and the reduced scheme complexity helped Oregon play a much better game.  In general I like this offensive scheme quite a bit.  If we develop a true deep ball threat then it will be potent.

For the offense Bo threw a clear interception that ended up as an Oregon touchdown and made a couple other poor reads.  Bo still needs to work in general on his reads and patience but he showed why he came out of HS with 5 stars.  If the coaches keep working with him (a likely prospect) and they get enough repetitions in for him to reliably recognize a bad situation then he will have a solid command of the offense.  He's just not there yet.  I'm afraid that in big games or if we get behind he could regress.  I haven't scouted BYU yet but the highlights showed a decent defense against Baylor. 

With the defense I hope Oregon continues to emphasize sound tackling, getting off blocks and swarming defenders this week.  David Marsh pointed out that our secondary played more man coverage with pressure from the line and that really helped keep pressure on the EWU passing attack.  That seems a likely approach unless we face opposing receivers that can blow the top off our defenders.  I know from last year that BYU's power-spread offense can be very capable so this week is a real challenge to the still forming Oregon defense.  

On 9/12/2022 at 9:44 AM, Charles Fischer said:

IMHO...we are not ready yet for BYU, but we made bigger strides than I thought.  I don't like my gut-feel about this game, yet if we play well, it is at Autzen!

Thankfully the coaches have a week. 

Also... BYU doesn't have Georgia sized offensive and defensive lines. Granted, BYU does tend to have older players because many go on their two year mission before attending school so they are just older. 

I feel players are now buying into the Lanning program... or should I say progrum ... and they should see some accelerated growth. 

On 9/12/2022 at 10:06 AM, kirklandduck said:

I have a feeling that maybe Dillingham will continue to keep the offense dialed back for Nix because he may have accuracy issues on the longer passes.  Either that or they can't trust him to be patient because it takes time for those downfield routes to be run.

I think we will have to unleash the deep ball to beat BYU, and Utah.

• Thumbs Up 1

I said in a post last week that when we are 11-1 or 12-1 all of us will be very happy! 

Seems to be almost too much week to week analysis for me! 

My family and I really enjoyed being at Autzen and the game Saturday night. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On this great Duck forum we constantly comment about how nice it is to have a safe place to voice and share our opinions and feelings.  Charles has created a truly "one of a kind forum".

However the OBDF offers so much more to all of us. Consider this:

1. The casual Duck fan (Or the true Dawg fan) can come here and keep up with everything "Duck"

2. Or simply read articles of interest to themselves. Never post a comment or tap an emoji.

3. Some read articles of interest, post there thoughts and show support with a favorable emoji.

4. Others take the time to post Duck articles, share their thoughts and are courteous enough to take the time to respond back to others 

5. Some take the time from their day to prepare and write articles. Then respond to the pros and cons from the forum members who read, ponder and reply to the articles.

6. Charles and other volunteers dig deep and create analysis articles to teach and inform us. Some volunteers dig out articles just to share with us. They cover schemes, systems, formations, position groups and so much more.

7. Then there are  a few dozen forum members who share their deep observations, share feelings and insights. They breakdown everything, pro and con because they have passion and the desire to express and share with others.

Its all volunteer! Awesome......

Each of us get to pick our level of interest and participation. All from our computers, laptops or phones. Wether its as simple as read and go or deep analysis of each play of each game. Safely, protected by Charles and his great team of volunteers. Well done and thank you Charles.

The best part is we get the highs and lows provided by our great Oregon Duck student athletes. Then share it with each other. GO DUCKS!

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Oregon is going to beat BYU at home this weekend. 

The Ducks put up 313 yards of offense against Georgia with 130 yards rushing and 4.5 yard per carry average. That was game 1 on the road, not game 3 at home!

The BYU defense isn't close to as good as the Dawgs and the Ducks will put up over 400 yards on them for sure. 

BYU barely beat Baylor at home and the Bears inexperienced QB went 18-28 for 138 yards with a low passer rating of 117. 

If Baylor had a good QB they win the game.

BYU only ran for 83 yards on 33 carries for a 2,5-yard average, not good. BYU gave up 2 sacks and 3 QB hurries. Jaren Hall the QB was 23-39 for 261 yards and a low pass rating of 123.7.

BYU's QB didn't look good, they ran the ball poorly, and played a Baylor team with an inexperienced QB. They barely won the game at home

BYU is going to have to have better QB play and running game if they want to beat the Ducks at home. On top of that they are facing a Ducks offesne that went 7-13 converting third downs against the dawgs. BYU isn't the Dawgs defense, and they aren't going to hold the Ducks to less yards or a lower 3rd down rate than Geogia. 

The bookies have #12 BYU as 3-point underdogs for a reason folks. It opened at 7 points, so the bookies really liked the Ducks.

I watched the Baylor-BYU game and I expect the Ducks to beat BYU

Bo Nix is better than the Baylor QB, the Ducks OL is better and so are the skill players. 

I think this game is Oregon 34-21 and the Ducks make a run at 500 yards of offense. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 10:58 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

On this great Duck forum we constantly comment about how nice it is to have a safe place to voice and share our opinions and feelings.  Charles has created a truly "one of a kind forum".

However the OBDF offers so much more to all of us. Consider this:

1. The casual Duck fan (Or the true Dawg fan) can come here and keep up with everything "Duck"

2. Or simply read articles of interest to themselves. Never post a comment or tap an emoji.

3. Some read articles of interest, post there thoughts and show support with a favorable emoji.

4. Others take the time to post Duck articles, share their thoughts and are courteous enough to take the time to respond back to others 

5. Some take the time from their day to prepare and write articles. Then respond to the pros and cons from the forum members who read, ponder and reply to the articles.

6. Charles and other volunteers dig deep and create analysis articles to teach and inform us. Some volunteers dig out articles just to share with us. They cover schemes, systems, formations, position groups and so much more.

7. Then there are  a few dozen forum members who share their deep observations, share feelings and insights. They breakdown everything, pro and con because they have passion and the desire to express and share with others.

Its all volunteer! Awesome......

Each of us get to pick our level of interest and participation. All from our computers, laptops or phones. Wether its as simple as read and go or deep analysis of each play of each game. Safely, protected by Charles and his great team of volunteers. Well done and thank you Charles.

The best part is we get the highs and lows provided by our great Oregon Duck student athletes. Then share it with each other. GO DUCKS!

I agree, and I too appreciate this forum.  I just attempted to make a post explaining that I wasn’t able to watch the Ducks or the BYU vs Baylor game this past weekend for unexpected reasons and am depending on this forum for insight into the upcoming game.  Unfortunately my post didn’t make it, not sure what happened but it’s likely fat finger syndrome I guess.😂  I can at times be clumsy, it’s possible I hit delete.  

• Thumbs Up 1

SoGaDawg, we appreciate you and all the great Dawg fans who come to and share their thoughts on this forum. You and your fellow Dawgs have enriched this forum.

By the way another nice Dawg win on Saturday. Won't be the last shut out your D pitches this season. Barring any injuries to key players you should be on course to get a shot at a repeat.

BYU will be a stiff challenge for the Ducks, however they have some weaknesses that the Ducks can exploit. Besides Autzen is a tough place to come into and pull out a road win. It requires a near flawless game. Should be a fun game.

GO DUCKS!

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2022 at 11:51 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

SoGaDawg, we appreciate you and all the great Dawg fans who come to and share their thoughts on this forum. You and your fellow Dawgs have enriched this forum.

By the way another nice Dawg win on Saturday. Won't be the last shut out your D pitches this season. Barring any injuries to key players you should be on course to get a shot at a repeat.

BYU will be a stiff challenge for the Ducks, however they have some weaknesses that the Ducks can exploit. Besides Autzen is a tough place to come into and pull out a road win. It requires a near flawless game. Should be a fun game.

GO DUCKS!

I’ve very much enjoyed being part of this forum.  You guys are a class act and I’m proud to be welcomed to take part! 

Come 3:30 eastern time Saturday, I’ll be Quacking.  Go Ducks!!!

On 9/12/2022 at 11:10 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Oregon is going to beat BYU at home this weekend. 

The Ducks put up 313 yards of offense against Georgia with 130 yards rushing and 4.5 yard per carry average. That was game 1 on the road, not game 3 at home!

The BYU defense isn't close to as good as the Dawgs and the Ducks will put up over 400 yards on them for sure. 

BYU barely beat Baylor at home and the Bears inexperienced QB went 18-28 for 138 yards with a low passer rating of 117. 

If Baylor had a good QB they win the game.

BYU only ran for 83 yards on 33 carries for a 2,5-yard average, not good. BYU gave up 2 sacks and 3 QB hurries. Jaren Hall the QB was 23-39 for 261 yards and a low pass rating of 123.7.

BYU's QB didn't look good, they ran the ball poorly, and played a Baylor team with an inexperienced QB. They barely won the game at home

BYU is going to have to have better QB play and running game if they want to beat the Ducks at home. On top of that they are facing a Ducks offesne that went 7-13 converting third downs against the dawgs. BYU isn't the Dawgs defense, and they aren't going to hold the Ducks to less yards or a lower 3rd down rate than Geogia. 

The bookies have #12 BYU as 3-point underdogs for a reason folks. It opened at 7 points, so the bookies really liked the Ducks.

I watched the Baylor-BYU game and I expect the Ducks to beat BYU

Bo Nix is better than the Baylor QB, the Ducks OL is better and so are the skill players. 

I think this game is Oregon 34-21 and the Ducks make a run at 500 yards of offense. 

I love your post!  As mentioned before I missed watching BYU over the weekend so I appreciate the insight.  

I agree, I think the Ducks offense will roll.  Just looking at the first half against us, they moved the ball consistently if not with ease at times.  If not for a dropped pass on the first drive or the two picks later, the score at halftime might have looked much different.  And that first pick was not a bad pass IMO, it was an unlikely great play by a freshman.  Don’t get me wrong, Starks is awesome, but if I’m Nix I’m certainly testing him.  

What are your thoughts on the defense?  It’s tough to change scheme, especially to such a difficult scheme.  It’s not surprising they struggled the first game.  Things move so fast and to say playing defense is difficult is a vast understatement.  I honestly think with the coaching and talent available, the Ducks defense will soon be a strength.  What do you think?

Go Ducks!!!

On 9/12/2022 at 9:25 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I love your post!  As mentioned before I missed watching BYU over the weekend so I appreciate the insight.  

I agree, I think the Ducks offense will roll.  Just looking at the first half against us, they moved the ball consistently if not with ease at times.  If not for a dropped pass on the first drive or the two picks later, the score at halftime might have looked much different.  And that first pick was not a bad pass IMO, it was an unlikely great play by a freshman.  Don’t get me wrong, Starks is awesome, but if I’m Nix I’m certainly testing him.  

What are your thoughts on the defense?  It’s tough to change scheme, especially to such a difficult scheme.  It’s not surprising they struggled the first game.  Things move so fast and to say playing defense is difficult is a vast understatement.  I honestly think with the coaching and talent available, the Ducks defense will soon be a strength.  What do you think?

Go Ducks!!!

I think on paper with the talent the Ducks have they should be a Top 10 defense. Flowe, Sewell and Manning are 5 stars, DJ Johnson and Mase Funa are Top 80 guys, we have bunches of four stars. 

That said they I'm thinking the Mario Cristobal staff didn't develop them like the Georgia staff is developing dudes. Hands down it appears the dawgs players are in a system with elite coaching from day 1 in college. The dawgs new starters played like Vets!

I think Lanning knows what it takes to develop these players in this system, but it might take the Ducks a while into the season to start playing up towards Top 10 talent as a unit.

The Ducks didn't play up to their talent level last year so there is catch up to be done, and it's a big ask for Lanning, we will see how he does.

On the flip side our two four-star frosh linebackers Jackson and Taggart are developing under Lanning from day 1.  I think they will be better than many of us expect when they become starters. I think that goes for all our Frosh defensive guys. 

I think Lanning is going to lead the Ducks to a win over BYU, but even if he plays BYU close, he's done a heck of a job. The Ducks have been drilled the last four Top 25 teams they have played, and that shouldn't happen with the roster talent we had.

The Georgia loss (they are on another level) really isn't a problem to me as much as the two Utah losses and Oklahoma loss. I'm glad Mario is gone because he was doing "less with more."

We are going to find out if Lanning has turned the program around this Saturday on a dime and we play BYU to at worst a one score game late. If we get take a bad loss to BYU, I won't blame Lanning. I will then think we have a systemic problem from the Cristobal era than ran deeper than we knew. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Applause 2

On 9/12/2022 at 8:10 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Quite possibly true, but Nix has to play within his skill set without boneheaded mistakes. He got away with at least one sure pick turned TD against EW. There won't be that luxury against BYU. The defense has to show up in a big way. Stellar play from Flowe and Sewell, particularly in the short passing game and pressure from Dorlus and Funa et al to hurry the BYU QB's reads and throws. No converted 3rd and 12s. More man coverage as the Oregon DBs will be challenged by the BYU WRs, but should be able to match up athletically. It'll have to be a better game than they have played up to now, but I think DL and crew will have them ready as there is plenty of tape on BYU to analyze. Go Dux!