Augduck

Is it Just Me?

There is a new guy at the O, Bill Oram and it seems he has sort of taken Canzano's place as the featured sports columnist.  

I have read his work several times now  and wow, maybe I am wearing my green and yellow glasses when I read, but sheesh he sure does seem to have a love affair with OS.  He seems to always find a way to get a little dig in at UO in every column and today's was really interesting.   I normally take all that stuff with a grain of salt and chuckle but there seems to be a pattern.   

Any others seeing this or just me? 

Not much in the grand scheme of things but it has struck me as a little interesting. 

Haven't seen it, but it in the Oregonian? In that case, it wouldn't surprise me.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:08 AM, Augduck said:

sheesh he sure does seem to have a love affair with OS. 

Oregon State does look like they are taking some solid steps forward this year. They took out Boise State and Fresno State in the first two games of the year and in previous years they would have certainly dropped one if not both of those games. So I get being high on OS. 

Oregon has to prove themselves and that starts in earnest this weekend so we'll see if that changes. 

In truth I don't read much from O-live anymore since they put up the pay wall. I find the other sub sites are better for sports news. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with you Augduck. The Oregonian’s newest Sports columnist Bill Oram’s take on Oregon football is definitely a bit irritating, and he almost took glee in rubbing Oregon’s (and Phil Knight’s) nose in the dirt after the Georgia loss.

I guess Oram’s job is to be controversial, like Canzano before him. The good news is that since Canzano left the Oregonian, I’m enjoying reading his daily column more than ever.

OSU will beat USC. This won't be an upset. They are just the better team. I think WSU will beat USC as well.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Agree that OS is definitely taking some steps forward.   They are playing better football for sure.

I could see them beating WSU but not so sure about USC.  I saw only bits and pieces of the SC/Stanford game and SC did look decent.   Their defense did allow Stanford 600 yds of offense so that is interesting.  

OS also travels to Utah and I could honestly see them losing to both SC and Utah.   Just my guess at this point and nothing more.

On 9/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, latracey said:

I guess Oram’s job is to be controversial, like Canzano before him. The good news is that since Canzano left the Oregonian, I’m enjoying reading his daily column more than ever.

I have for the most part liked Canzano's work, not always agreed with him but he usually does a good job laying out his arguments. I do find his new project has created some incredibly good work. 

In one of his early columns he implied he grew up an OSU fan, the first college game he attended was a Beaver  win over UCLA.  Who cares if he takes a dig or two at the Ducks?  Are we that thin skinned?  He is a columnist, paid to write an opinion, not a reporter who should be neutral.  

On 9/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, latracey said:

I agree with you Augduck. The Oregonian’s newest Sports columnist Bill Oram’s take on Oregon football is definitely a bit irritating, and he almost took glee in rubbing Oregon’s (and Phil Knight’s) nose in the dirt after the Georgia loss.

yes, that is what I thought too.  He seemed to like portraying PK and Oregon as the evil empire and OS as the clean, apple pie and Mom operation in Corvallis.

Side note, I heard that at the OS home opener which was well after the debacle in Ga that the OS band played Georgia On My Mind.  

On 9/12/2022 at 10:42 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

OSU will beat USC. This won't be an upset. They are just the better team. I think WSU will beat USC as well.

Maybe, but USC's offense is elite.   Their defense, in my opinion, is not even close to elite.   But its hard to consider the Beavers are better than USC, or they will be able to defend those receivers.  But I do hope you are right.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:19 AM, Pac10again said:

Maybe, but USC's offense is elite.   Their defense, in my opinion, is not even close to elite.   But its hard to consider the Beavers are better than USC, or they will be able to defend those receivers.  But I do hope you are right.

The Beavs rolled them last year and are better this year. 41 points against Stanford isn’t that spectacular. If OSU can cut that to 31, they should have enough offense to out score them.

On 9/12/2022 at 10:08 AM, Augduck said:

There is a new guy at the O, Bill Oram and it seems he has sort of taken Canzano's place as the featured sports columnist.  

I have read his work several times now  and wow, maybe I am wearing my green and yellow glasses when I read, but sheesh he sure does seem to have a love affair with OS.  He seems to always find a way to get a little dig in at UO in every column and today's was really interesting.   I normally take all that stuff with a grain of salt and chuckle but there seems to be a pattern.   

Maybe he is Ken Goe's brother-in-law? 

• Applause 2

On 9/12/2022 at 11:25 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The Beavs rolled them last year and are better this year. 41 points against Stanford isn’t that spectacular. If OSU can cut that to 31, they should have enough offense to out score them.

I hear and salute!  Beavers look better for sure.  But I also think USC is a different team.  I cant wait to watch that game. Go Ducks

That's unfortunate to hear. I like John Canzano's radio show, but only the last hour where his journalist wife joins him on air, and they mostly talk about non-sports stuff and field questions with the audience. My chief complaint with Canzano was that he is a champion of the little guy, and gives the limelight and the microphone to those that often don't get that chance. The thing is, Oregon Football is king in the state of Oregon, and then come the Blazers. After that the number of fans and interest drops off a cliff. I wouldn't exactly say Oregon State is "the little guy", but Canzano also had a love affair with OSU and was quick to criticize the Ducks when he reluctantly talked about them. One of Canzano's kids also is a student at OSU.

The Oregonian needs to hire a graduate of the University of Oregon School of Journalism, and who regularly goes to Blazers and Timbers home games.

Seems to be a thing with new sportswriters in state of Oregon. I really like Canzano now but when he started out long ago he had similar attitude toward Oregon.

New sportswriters come determined to show their stuff by picking on big bad Nike Oregon and leaning into OSU. That will pass—because in the end, a sportswriter’s survival depends on not alienating readers. Give us strong reporting when it’s required and especially if a program is up to bad things. But please, stop with the gratuitous digs and asides in everyday coverage that turn readers away—as this thread proves is happening with Oram.  

If he doesn’t figure it out soon, he will have people refusing to read him. I was among a big group of friends who refused to read Canzano for several years. Now we’re among his biggest fans. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think we're being thin skinned, just stating facts.  I'm all for well thoughout reasoned opinions.  His opinions are neither.