Kurt Rambis

Would You Rather be Dan Lanning or Jimbo Fisher?

No, not in general, but which would you rather have happen to the Ducks:

• Get embarrassingly rolled 49 - 3 by one of the best teams in the nation
  • Lose a close game to a lower-level program like Appalachian State or Georgia Southern (or Eastern Washington)?

In other words, just given these factors, would you rather be Dan Lanning or Jimbo Fisher/Scott Frost?

Lanning got the perfect stress test to evaluate who's who on his team and can now better understand what he's working with and who his real dogs are.

• Thumbs Up 1

The way we lost to Georgia left a little bit of a smell on Oregon.   As the season progresses that will slowly fade.   

For A&M that stink is pretty bad.  However if they beat Miami all will be forgiven as they are in the SEC!  

Good coaches take bad losses. However, losing a payout game to a FCS team is inexcusable when you have a talented roster. It shows that you didn’t prepare your team well. 

There are exceptions, of course. Like if you’re  in your first year with unfamiliar players. This happened to Saban in his first season at Bama. It takes time to rebuild a roster. 

Now, to answer your question. I would rather be Jimbo, but only for this upcoming week. That’s because I know that MC will likely find a way to hand me a win. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

DL, there is no second place.

I would rather be Lanning all day long.  Losing to an FCS team doesn't go away.  Getting thumped by Georgia (who won their conference games by an average of 43 points last season) will fade pretty quickly, especially with a win against BYU (fingers crossed).  

BTW...they need to put a rule in place under the new system that if a team loses to an FCS school they are immediately eliminated from the 12-team playoff.  

I would absolutely rather be in Lanning’s place.  Yes it always stinks to get beat 49-3 but there are at least somewhat some viable extenuating circumstances.  First game as HC, all new coaches across the board, playing the defending National Champions all comes to mind.  Also, I was rather impressed with the Ducks offense, and the defense will surprise many this season IMO.  

Then we come to Fisher.  He is one of the highest paid coaches in the country, he just signed the highest rated recruiting class in the history of college football, and his Aggies began the year once again #6 in the AP poll.  And then lost to App State.  Not a good look at the moment.  It’s very important that they play well against Miami for optics if nothing else.  I’m certainly not insinuating that Jimbo is in any trouble, but it doesn’t look good and he will be expected to right the ship quickly.  

It’s also not lost on me that App State and GA Southern are historically good football schools.  But if your #6 you shouldn’t lose to App St.  And if you’re Nebraska today, obviously you can’t lose to GA Southern.  

Lanning. I read the question and nothing else.

Would You Rather be Dan Lanning or Jimbo Fisher?

I would need to see a photo of their wives... and a copy of the prenup! 😉

• Haha 2