FishDuck Article

Oregon Unveils Upgraded Offense

What a difference a week makes. Just seven days removed from a rough showing against Georgia to open the season, the Ducks bounced back in a big way. Sure, Oregon’s Week Two opponent was a sizeable step down in competition. But still, the Ducks looked like a completely different team than the lifeless, seemingly overmatched squad that took the field ...

FISHDUCK.COM

What a difference a week makes. Just seven days removed from a rough showing against Georgia to open the season, the Ducks bounced...
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

My question is who does this team compete against. Are they just up for a fight when they are the better team?

Will the Ducks show up when it is an even match, or even when they are overmatched? So far we have only seen them show up and execute when they weren't really pushed around.

This weekend we will see the Ducks be overmatched in some areas and maybe have the advantage in a few spots. Which team shows up, and how do they engage when challenged, or behind? 

On defense we need to see gang tackling, the whole team competing if we are going to win. One guy tackling won't get it done against BYU. One guy might get to the qb first, but the next guy needs to be closing on the qb on the other side. Same thing on the RB, one guy slows him down and two others lay him out.

On offense what happens when the ball is in the air. Does our receiver play like it is his mom's favorite vase falling off the shelf, or just another throw away IKEA trinket there will be more of soon enough. 

I look for both sides of the ball to play like it is their house and they are playing in front of their mom, for their mom. This game is important, every down is important, don't let the home crowd down. Does this team have that kind of attitude, we don't know, yet, and I want to know, need to know.

• Thumbs Up 3

This year's offense has:

- other capable QB's ready to play.

- a stable of RB's ready to run.

- a bevy of capable receivers.

- a mindset to attack open spaces and defensive weaknesses.

- lots of yet-to-be-seen upside.

Go Ducks.

"This weekend we will see the Ducks be over matched in some areas." 

A&M lost to a far less talented team Saturday.  They did not play like a team that fights for one another; but the team that beat them sure did! 

BYU loves each other, they fight for each other, they are a force because they are a team. 

If every player on the field played together as a unit, and unselfishly, I would pick Oregon by 17.  

Win or lose, I am just hoping to see us playing like a team with purpose, fighting for one another. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2022 at 6:45 AM, Notalot said:

This year's offense has:

- other capable QB's ready to play.

- a stable of RB's ready to run.

- a bevy of capable receivers.

- a mindset to attack open spaces and defensive weaknesses.

- lots of yet-to-be-seen upside.

Go Ducks.

Don't forget an experienced O-line - it's the under-lying strength of this team, imo.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/13/2022 at 10:58 AM, Mic said:

Don't forget an experienced O-line - it's the under-lying strength of this team, imo.

I agree that the experienced OL should be a huge (get it?) asset. Through the two early games I have not seen consistency, dominant play, and have seen costly penalties. I hope you are right and the line can control the trenches.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:11 AM, Notalot said:

I agree that the experienced OL should be a huge (get it?) asset. Through the two early games I have not seen consistency, dominant play, and have seen costly penalties. I hope you are right and the line can control the trenches.

There's certainly room for more development and improvement but I still think it's Oregon's strongest point of strength.  Penalties are frustrating, but they happen to a lot of teams early in the season.  Against Georgia...it was jitters and too much eagerness to get off first against a terrific D-line.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/13/2022 at 9:38 AM, Haywarduck said:

My question is who does this team compete against. Are they just up for a fight when they are the better team?

Will the Ducks show up when it is an even match, or even when they are overmatched? So far we have only seen them show up and execute when they weren't really pushed around.

This weekend we will see the Ducks be overmatched in some areas and maybe have the advantage in a few spots. Which team shows up, and how do they engage when challenged, or behind? 

On defense we need to see gang tackling, the whole team competing if we are going to win. One guy tackling won't get it done against BYU. One guy might get to the qb first, but the next guy needs to be closing on the qb on the other side. Same thing on the RB, one guy slows him down and two others lay him out.

On offense what happens when the ball is in the air. Does our receiver play like it is his mom's favorite vase falling off the shelf, or just another throw away IKEA trinket there will be more of soon enough. 

I look for both sides of the ball to play like it is their house and they are playing in front of their mom, for their mom. This game is important, every down is important, don't let the home crowd down. Does this team have that kind of attitude, we don't know, yet, and I want to know, need to know.

I think this is a very fair point regarding the toughness of this year's team. I think it was pretty impressive to see them dominate as much as they did in their get right game. It seemed like they took that beating at the hands of Georgia personally, as they should have.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:34 AM, Pac10again said:

"This weekend we will see the Ducks be over matched in some areas." 

A&M lost to a far less talented team Saturday.  They did not play like a team that fights for one another; but the team that beat them sure did! 

BYU loves each other, they fight for each other, they are a force because they are a team. 

If every player on the field played together as a unit, and unselfishly, I would pick Oregon by 17.  

Win or lose, I am just hoping to see us playing like a team with purpose, fighting for one another. 

Yeah, BYU is very well coached and collectively they play way better than their talent. It is a really good measuring stick opponent for the Ducks. Georgia is out of our league, and obviously we're out of EWU's.

• Go Ducks! 1