Haywarduck

Ok, I'll Ask The 'Ty' Question!

What will it take to see Ty take over?

Will it be an injury to Nix and only an injury? Does Nix get the starting spot even if he struggles mightily?

Can Ty take the job over in practice, much like Herbert finally did his freshman year when what's Prukop struggled? By the way Prukop has had a decent career in the CFL.

Does the staff pull Nix when, if he struggles and sees if Ty can rally the team and win one? Is Ty close enough in the race to get an opportunity when, if things go sideways?

I know these are questions I am asking, not that I hope the negative scenarios play out, but, what if?

On 9/13/2022 at 9:43 AM, Haywarduck said:

Will it be an injury to Nix and only an injury? Does Nix get the starting spot even if he struggles mightily?

Can Ty take the job over in practice, much like Herbert finally did his freshman year when what's Prukop struggled? By the way Prukop has had a decent career in the CFL.

Does the staff pull Nix when, if he struggles and sees if Ty can rally the team and win one? Is Ty close enough in the race to get an opportunity when, if things go sideways?

I know these are questions I am asking, not that I hope the negative scenarios play out, but, what if?

Bo is going to carve up the Pac-12.   I am biased to deep balls, so I am really hoping to see us blow past BYU's secondary.   I think we have the pieces to beat any remaining defense deep.  USC does as well,  but unlike USC,  we have the defensive players to make stops.  I still believe, if we play as a team, and open the playbook, we are going to a big 6 bowl.  Crazy maybe, but I think the pieces are there.    

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/13/2022 at 10:06 AM, Pac10again said:

Bo is going to carve up the Pac-12.   I am biased to deep balls, so I am really hoping to see us blow past BYU's secondary.   I think we have the pieces to beat any remaining defense deep.  USC does as well,  but unlike USC,  we have the defensive players to make stops.  I still believe, if we play as a team, and open the playbook, we are going to a big 6 bowl.  Crazy maybe, but I think the pieces are there.    

Again, it seems, I want to agree with you but can't quite get myself to sign on when it comes to Bo's deep passing skills.  To me, he hasn't shown the ability to do that yet.  He did throw a beautiful pass deep on Georgia, but a terrific play resulted in it's interception, because it was under-thrown.

In the last game he did it again, right in front of our eyes (we sit on the 7-yard line) and the same thing happened, almost.  It was under-thrown.  He has a beautiful spiral but maybe his arm isn't as strong as it needs to be.  I don't know.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:12 AM, Mic said:

Again, it seems, I want to agree with you but can't quite get myself to sign on when it comes to Bo's deep passing skills.  To me, he hasn't shown the ability to do that yet.  He did throw a beautiful pass deep on Georgia, but a terrific play resulted in it's interception, because it was under-thrown.

In the last game he did it again, right in front of our eyes (we sit on the 7-yard line) and the same thing happened, almost.  It was under-thrown.  He has a beautiful spiral but maybe his arm isn't as strong as it needs to be.  I don't know.

Bingo, I think what will determine a change in QB is if Bo cannot through the long ball and lead receivers deep.

WE have several racehorse wr's just waiting to be led deep. They can run to the ball if its put in the correct place. Butter has a nice deep ball.

I don't see any leadership from Ty whatsoever.  He looks like a robot. 

Bo may not be perfect, but he exudes confidence and he seems better than Anthony Brown.  Anthony was a great leader.

That leadership is infectious and is important in stressful situations to the whole team.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to trust the coaches here.  Second set not seeing enough to let him start.

BTW, the 24/7 recruiting people said he got 5* based upon growth potential and Lanning has said the stars are gone once you've enrolled.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don’t mean to demean TT in any way and hope nothing but the best for him. That said, he seems like just another guy when on the field. 

Dixon, Masoli and Thomas all had an it factor leading the team that I haven’t seen in TT. I was also wanting him to get his chance to shine but now I’m kind of whatever about it.

Prove me wrong TT please!

• Thumbs Up 2

The coach speak answer is “we will play the guy that gives us the best chance to win.”

I think there is very little chance Ty replaces Bo this season.  Of course, about this time last season I said the same about Bennet and Daniels.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do NOT think Bo is operating on a short leash, so it would take a couple consecutive games of inexplicable play for the QB switch to be made.

However, Bo does have a bit of a linebackers mentality, and is the type of player that will throw caution into the wind regarding his own on-the-field physical well-being, so Ty better be ready if/when he’s called upon. 

• Great post! 1

On 9/13/2022 at 11:17 AM, Jester said:

I do NOT think Bo is operating on a short leash, so it would take a couple consecutive games of inexplicable play for the QB switch to be made.

However, Bo does have a bit of a linebackers mentality, and is the type of player that will throw caution into the wind regarding his own on-the-field physical well-being, so Ty better be ready if/when he’s called upon. 

I do love the look Bo has when he turns up field. He doesn't seem to be looking for the sideline, or the best place to start his slide. The guy would seem to have fit right in with a LB group.

If Bo throws 3 pics and Oregon looses to BYU by 2 TD's then I think it's time for a change. Anything less than that and he stays.

Due to a stone handed DB, Bo got a TD instead of an int.  

That type of gamble will hurt more than it helps against better competition, which is what he will face the rest of the year.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/13/2022 at 12:42 PM, Steven A said:

It's clear Bo thinks he as a stronger arm than he really does. Just because Justin Herbert regularly displays this nation's hypersonic missile program on Sundays doesn't mean everyone can.

He is accurate and has good placement. Those need to be his focus. He needs to take what the defense gives him rather than try and force throws into rapidly deteriorating conditions.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:43 PM, Haywarduck said:

I feel Duck Nation should be happy that we have QBs in competition.

Let's support whichever one is playing, Bo, Ty or Butters. Let's not tear one down in order to build up the other.

They obviously support each other.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

On 9/13/2022 at 10:44 AM, nw777b said:

I think the ONLY way we’ll ever know what Ty’s ceiling is, is to toss him in the fire and see what he’s made of. Whether or not that ever happens is up to the fates. Or, maybe he was born to live his football life waiting in the wings?

In the meantime, he just has the look of a very immature kid whose stuck in the blaze of his own high school headlights without the slightest idea of how to live up to the hype he created with his own god-given talent. 

And, there is no way around it when your inner confidence doesn’t mesh with what people see in you, short of learning to swim the hard way.

So, somebody, please, care for the kid enough to shove him in the deep end?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2022 at 1:12 PM, Sideburns said:

I feel Duck Nation should be happy that we have QBs in competition.

Let's support whichever one is playing, Bo, Ty or Butters. Let's not tear one down in order to build up the other.

They obviously support each other.

I hope you and others don't think I am tearing down Bo just to elevate Ty or Butters. I am sure Bo is harder on himself than anything I have pointed out, and I try to be positive on the guy too.

I just have to ask the legitimate question, only a couple guys have the answer to, what is it going to take. Those are the kind of things I think of during the breaks between games, and what this forum is made for. I also realize we are just guessing, and trying to see what those two guys see when they make the decision.

Agree, no reason to tear Bo down, and we certainly don't need to boo the guy. He is just doing his best no matter how it happens.

I recall many in the media (and beyond) initially doubting the leadership abilities of Mariota and Herbert.  They were 'too quiet, 'too soft spoken'.  Most of us don't learn how to lead until we are repeatedly put into a leadership position.  I bet Ty will grow into a leader given some time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mariota and Herbert had that sort of thing going for them as well. Neither were vocal leaders in their time at Oregon. 

I think for Thompson he needs to feel more comfortable in the offense. He looked like he had a grasp of it but not the same level of control that Nix has of the offense. 

The coaches will get it right, and I support the lot of them. 

I will say this though, and I'm in no way suggesting he should be starting, but who else said aloud, "Holy crap!" when Ty threw that one pass outside the hash.  To be able to throw so effortlessly with that much velocity makes that young man just so intriguing.  What arm talent.    

Bo played a near perfect game!! He is a natural leader. "Should have been a pick"... but... it was a touchdown!!

Looks like it's going to be a long year hating on Bo. 

It will be interesting to see the transfer portal activity for any player, let alone the QBs, after someone has played their 3rd game.

Bo says this is his last year, but he has 1 year of eligibility remaining after this year. 

I don't like the uncertainty of it.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:06 AM, Pac10again said:

solid post 

Bo may not be perfect, but he exudes confidence and he seems better than Anthony Brown.  Anthony was a great leader.

That leadership is infectious and is important in stressful situations to the whole team.

that's a solid post too that I can't argue with

That type of gamble will hurt more than it helps against better competition, which is what he will face the rest of the year.

I'll take a pick a game if you give me two or three TD a game. We just need Bo to be a good solid QB, he don't have to be elite for us to win.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2022 at 2:07 PM, CountryProf said:

I recall many in the media (and beyond) initially doubting the leadership abilities of Mariota and Herbert.  They were 'too quiet, 'too soft spoken'.  Most of us don't learn how to lead until we are repeatedly put into a leadership position.  I bet Ty will grow into a leader given some time.

WE have Butterfield as well as another blue chipper coming in next year.  Something has to give?

You're referring to the deflected catch by Ferguson. Yeah, we saw it clearly, it happened right in front of us.  That should have been a pick but give Fergie credit for not taking his eyes off the ball and for muscling his way into the end zone.  Bo tried to force it in there and Ferguson bailed him out.

I wonder how much Dante Moore factors into the starting quarterback decision. Moore is free to decommit at any time. If Ty becomes the starter and excels, does that cause Moore to re-think his commitment to Oregon knowing that Ty will likely be the starting quarterback for the next 2-3 years? I'm probably overthinking this, but if the coaches like Moore that much more than Ty, and if Ty isn't clearly better than Nix, then why play Ty if that possibly leads to Moore decommitting? I doubt this is actually a consideration. Just food for thought.  

I think Moore is rated the number one or two QB in this class. I’m pretty sure he won’t feel threatened by a second year guy struggling to start ahead of an average QB.

Darren Thomas lead the Ducks to a championship game, then a Rose Bowl victory. He still left early to avoid being replaced by Mariota. When you’re the cream, you’ll rise to the top.

• Applause 1

On 9/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

When you’re the cream, you’ll rise to the top.

Sans injury (Dennis Dixon) or transfer (Tyler Shough).

I'm really not asking the Ty question right now. I wasn't able to see the game Saturday, but Nix was 28-33 with 5 TDs. I know the competition was not high level, but that's a hell of a game at any level.

The one errant throw that could have been picked off became a TD. If it had been a int. he would have been 27-33 with 4 TDs and 1 INT. That's still a great game.

We'll see how the rest of the season unfolds, but as of now Bo has had a not great game against maybe the best defense in college football this year and a great game against a not so good defense. BYU may be a better measure.

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s Bo’s job until he proves otherwise. I saw little excitement out of TT when he got his chance and the robot comment is pretty much what I was thinking while he was in. Body language is very important and his teammates can sense it better than anyone, even the coaches.

On 9/14/2022 at 3:29 PM, Just Ducky said:

It’s Bo’s job until he proves otherwise. I saw little excitement out of TT when he got his chance and the robot comment is pretty much what I was thinking while he was in. Body language is very important and his teammates can sense it better than anyone, even the coaches.

Maybe the Mr Roboto was a product of learning a new system and scheme. The previous staff showed no faith in the guy, that has to have an effect mentally and emotionally. 

Maybe he was just trying not to bomb. If true, good coaching will loosen him up and he will become a football player. 

Nerves, concentration, anxiety... who knows. Loosey goosey baby.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:08 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

If Bo throws 3 pics and Oregon looses to BYU by 2 TD's then I think it's time for a change. Anything less than that and he stays.

I don't think this is going to be up to Bo.  BYU looks better.  Film doesn't lie.  I think BYU wins this game. ( sometimes I even surprise myself, in January there was no way I'd even consider Oregon losing, but I watched closely last Saturday. We look disoriented- even scoring 70 points).

• Thumbs Up 1

I the late 70’s the fan base for a national program was clambering for a QB change. The fans expectations were that ND finish as a top 3 team. After their second loss of the season things got hot for the starting QB. Considering the seasons stats of a little over 2000 yards passing, a 54% passing completion percentage and only 11 TDS with 7 interceptions the fans knew the second string QB would have led them to the promised land. 

For some reason the coaches stuck with Joe Montana as the starting QB.

a few years later you could not find a fan that would admit to wanting to bench Joe.

not sure there is a relevant point to this thread, but it’s a good antidote!