Charles Fischer

People in Utah Cheering FOR Oregon on Saturday? Really?

Whoops.  I forgot about the "rival" factor...  (From the Fabulous FishDuck Feed as usual)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Maybe we can be spoken of nationally in a good way after Saturday?   (From the Fabulous FishDuck Feed)

Mr. FishDuck

I’d have to throw USC vs Fresno St on that list. Blowing out Rice and scoring 41 on Stanford has sent the Troy boys shooting up to #7. 

I need to see what their offense does against a solid D before I consider them a legit top 10 team.

#2.  

On 9/13/2022 at 2:11 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Maybe we can be spoken of nationally in a good way after Saturday?   (From the Fabulous FishDuck Feed)

#2 Oklahoma at Nebraska?  Isn't this like watching a Lion seize a young wildebeest on the Serengeti?  I don't care if there is a coaching change.  You're a sick man, Brandon. 

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

Reminds me a bit of those Alabama fans coming out the woodwork to cheer for us against Auburn. You’re just their latest needle with which to annoy their real target.

Edited by Washington Waddler
word choice

I've lived in Utah, BYU isn't love by all, much like Notre Dame. There is an extreme loyal following, but it doesn't extend statewide, that is for sure. Great state, by the way.

BYU has a sc type of flavor, we are just better than you, definitely want to win this weekend.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 12:06 PM, Haywarduck said:

I've lived in Utah, BYU isn't love by all, much like Notre Dame. There is an extreme loyal following, but it doesn't extend statewide, that is for sure. Great state, by the way.

BYU has a sc type of flavor, we are just better than you, definitely want to win this weekend.

It extends statewide and is spread throughout the country through the Utah culture.  (Am I allowed to say that here?)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2022 at 12:15 PM, BYUTexan said:

It extends statewide and is spread throughout the country through the Utah culture.  (Am I allowed to say that here?)

Probably best to leave out the reference. I love everything about Utah, no exceptions, but there is an attitude around BYU much like sc, all I will say.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 1:33 PM, Haywarduck said:

Probably best to leave out the reference. I love everything about Utah, no exceptions, but there is an attitude around BYU much like sc, all I will say.

I can understand the discernment.  We can be a bit cocky, if not arrogant at times.  

On 9/13/2022 at 1:44 PM, cartm25 said:

I'm not sure I know of a rivalry with as much hatred between two fanbases as between Utah and BYU.

There are deeper aspects than just football at play with this rivalry.

And you can thank Urban Meyer for starting all of that.  It used to be a friendly rivalry.  

Miami at Texas A&M will be fun. I'm guessing Mario and his now revealed prevent offense will run into a very angry Aggies team that's looking to prove a point after last week's fiasco. Definitely tuning in for that one lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting vs viewable!

Oklahoma at Nebraska, Liberty at Wake Forest, Kansas at Houston

On 9/13/2022 at 1:48 PM, Steven A said:

Interesting vs viewable!

Oklahoma at Nebraska, Liberty at Wake Forest, Kansas at Houston

Hey, Kansas has improved! LOL

Well, shouldn't every PAC fan be rooting for every other PAC team in OOC games? It would only help their rankings and Playoff chances when they play that PAC team if that team wins.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2022 at 4:33 PM, 2002duck said:

Well, shouldn't every PAC fan be rooting for every other PAC team in OOC games? It would only help their rankings and Playoff chances when they play that PAC team if that team wins.

When it comes to USC and fuskies. I wouldn’t say I root for them as much as I just don’t want them to blow I for the conference.

On 9/13/2022 at 6:33 PM, 2002duck said:

This, except for U$C and fUCLA. I'm rooting for every OOC opponent and PAC team to beat them for the next two years. And we (Utah fans) will root for anyone that has a shot at beating BYU.

@BYUTexan, not sure it's been a friendly rivalry for more years than that. 

On 9/13/2022 at 11:19 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I need to see what their offense does against a solid D before I consider them a legit top 10 team.

Considering that their Bandwagon Fanbase had the Trojans in the Playoffs as soon as Riley was hired, No.7 has to feel like an insult.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2022 at 4:54 PM, MN Ute said:

and fUCLA

UCLA got roped into leaving because they were tied to USC. I assign them less blame. They're an accessory to a crime, though for some crimes you simply get found equally culpable despite intent, and spend life in prison. UCLA has been too weak for far to long to get really mad at. Plus, it's a great school with a nice campus. Also, the whole Rose Bowl thing in Pasadena. Oregon will be in the Big 10 soon enough, and people will be mad at us, too.

On 9/13/2022 at 7:02 PM, 2002duck said:

Oregon will be in the Big 10 soon enough, and people will be mad at us, too.

Since Utah will be in the NFL then, I won't hold a grudge. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

It would be beneficial for Utah to see us win Saturday.  

Again, it's a conference thing guys.  An Oregon win helps Conference standing.  Then, when/if Utah beats us, they're likely beating a higher ranked team than a loss to BYU would put us.  

That's why most of us root for all in-conference teams to win (USC excepted, of course and maybe Washington too,) against all non-conference teams.  Even OSU. I root for OSU in every game they play unless winning that game hurts Oregon.  And, of course, the Civil War game.  Then it's sc_ew the Beavers!!  🙂  

Edited by Mic

On 9/13/2022 at 5:54 PM, MN Ute said:

This, except for U$C and fUCLA. I'm rooting for every OOC opponent and PAC team to beat them for the next two years. And we (Utah fans) will root for anyone that has a shot at beating BYU.

@BYUTexan, not sure it's been a friendly rivalry for more years than that. 

It was between LaVell Edwards and Ron McBride, then Urban Meyer turned it toxic.  

Edited by BYUTexan

On 9/13/2022 at 7:53 PM, BYUTexan said:

It was between LaVell Edwards and Ron McBride, then Urban Meyer turned it toxic.  

How did UM do that? 

I'd like to see UW win all their OOC games 3-0.  No style points only a W.  Like it or not, all conferences are linked together, so when the Pac 12 as a whole does good, we are all looked in a more favorable light. 

The disdain one school has for another can only truly be understood by those with that emotion. 

One had to experience the 70's-80's purple invasion of Autzen to have the same depth of contempt for all things dawg. The emotional response to the pick is the same each time. I can imagine many from other programs see it as an interesting moment, without really understanding.

I have a surface knowledge of the Utah rivalry, but understand it goes deep, especially for those with a lengthy history. 

The other rivalry I find interesting is the dawg, coug one. The disdain between the programs is also palpable, one of the great things about college football, IMHO. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love great, heated rivalries in any sport.  Steelers/Ravens.  RedskinsCommanders/Cowboys.  The old Celtics/Lakers and Celtics/Pistons. 

That's one of the great things about college sports - rivalries tend to stay around forever.  Michigan/Ohio State and Alabama/Auburn have hated each other forever.  On the other hand, the biggest rivalry in the NFL used to be Steelers/Raiders, and now the two teams couldn't care less about each other.

Even the small schools have great rivalries.  When I was at Pepperdine, it was Pepperdine/Loyola Marymount in hoops.  Man, that got ugly - some of the crowd shenanigans I led during a particularly heated game made the front page of the LA Times sports section.  (Nothing destructive or soccer-hooligan-like, just loud and obnoxious.)

There's nothing like beating your big rival.

Dear FishDuck Community, 

I asked your forgiveness, for I sin weekly during the college football season.

I hang my head in shame, as I admit to begrudgingly rooting for all PAC teams when they play out of conference.

Yes...yes, this includes the woofing miscreants to the north of us, and pesky little brother from right up the street.  I know, I've hurt you, and I'm sorry.

Unlike when dealing with the fairer sex, I'm capable of using my head instead of my heart in the matter of football standings.  I implore you to not be too critical of my perspective as I only have the Ducks best interest (rankings, baby!) at heart.

I shall leave you now to sit in judgement of myself for what I have just admitted to all of you.  

Pitifully your, 

Jester

23cec0c6-5132-44e9-bc94-2ea801aa531e__sized.jpeg.239c841d1547efde0047214993160faf.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

I generally cheer for PAC-12 teams in OOC games with a few petty exceptions.

Never will I cheer for usc  - although I hope they win when they play byu.

Won’t cheer for the devils or fuskies unless it is a game that really helps Utah or the conference.

Always cheer for the Ducks except against Utah or if the Utes need an Oregon loss to make it to the championship game - so this week is easy to be a Ducks fan.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1