Mudslide

Nix Offering A Tell?

Because I (unhappily) noted other issues of performance during the Georgia game, there was something I didn't notice on Nix's play start...that I did during the EWU game.  This was a tell of a run or pass a brief moment just before the snap.  If you'll look at the EWU game highlights (linked in the daily linked articles thread), you'll see Nix do one of two things an instant before the snap.  If he bends into the snap, or slightly leans forward, it's a run.  If he stands motionless or erect during the snap, it's a pass.  Now if I were a D-lineman, I'd know at the snap to either gap/player contain or pin my ears back in a pass rush.  (Note that screen passes could nullify this tip off advantage.)  Also note that Thompson makes no such motion.

I'm wondering if Georgia's familiarity with Nix enabled them to use this tell.  Any pre-snap information on a play can certainly aid the defense on pursuit choices. 

Perhaps my weird, grey beard eyes are tricking me.  Would someone with more qb knowledge than I verify this, please?  I was able to call every run or pass before Nix received the snapped ball.  And is there a defensive advantage gained in that quite short moment before (or during) the snap?

From a defensive perspective there are not that many players focusing on the QB at the snap. The defense probably gets more information from the formation, the personnel on the field, and where the RB is set. 

Edited by Drake

If true, and I am not doubting your observation, it would be a distinct advantage to be able to see this. Everyone on defense could shift their focus if they know if it is a run or pass definitively. 

I hope our staff is more aware of this than other staffs.

Every player and team looks for indicators from a pitcher on what kind of pitch is going to be thrown. Great care is taken to hide the sign, and disguise what pitch is coming out of the hand of the pitcher. 

If what you are observing is true, that is pretty astounding.

Could Georgia have known and Dan Lanning not have be aware, wow!

• Go Ducks! 1

When Dan Fouts was earning his spot in the Hall of Fame with the San Diego Chargers, he gave a tell. Before EVERY pass play he licked his fingers just before going under center. He NEVER licked his fingers before a run play...

...unless he did the opposite. 

He could go the whole season indicating run or pass on every play. But it was all on purpose. Only in an important game, on an important play of that game, he would break the pattern to gain an advantage.

Dan threw for 43,040 yards and 254 touchdowns. He also threw 242 interceptions. 

Did the strategy work, or not?

Jon, growing up in San Diego Dan Fouts was my hero. Yes it worked!!!

On 9/14/2022 at 12:04 PM, DUCati855 said:

Jon, growing up in San Diego Dan Fouts was my hero. Yes it worked!!!

I digress, but Fouts, if he had been on a complete team, would have won a Super bowl or two.  I've been hoping like crazy his fate isn't repeated by Justin Herbert

On 9/14/2022 at 11:41 AM, Drake said:

From a defensive perspective there are not that many players focusing on the QB at the snap. The defense probably gets more information from the formation, the personnel on the field, and where the RB is set. 

The “Mike” linebacker is watching and would call it out.  

• Applause 1