Smith72

Pac-12 Considering Partnership With Amazon

Amazon streaming could be the answer to generating more revenue for Pac-12 universities.

According to Jon Wilmer, he was told,

“It’s smart,” a second source said. “They could get more money relative to their real media value with Amazon.”  

Another news article I read reported that Amazon wants to dominate college football in the Western half of the USA.

Tonight starts the Thursday Night NFL season that Amazon paid the NFL a billion dollars. 

Amazon  supposedly has net worth of 1.2 trillion.  In other words they have lots of cash!

WWW.MSN.COM

Is this surprising? No. Is it important? Yes. Jon Wilner of The Wilner Hotline has been informed by multiple sources in the media industry...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Another source for the story!

WWW.KSL.COM

The digital media giant is a potential partner for the conference.

Annual revenue earnings for Amazon is $469.822B.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Smith72 for posting these articles. Finding and sourcing additional revenue streams is simply a must. Especially for the PAC10 to survive.........

Only money, lots of money, will keep Washington and Oregon in the fold. And that protects the Beavers and Cougars, too. Not to mention all the student athletes in non revenue sports. Let usc and ucla and their athletes take 5,000 mile roundtrip road execursions. Every other week.

I know its full on football season but this is significant, positive news.

GO GK! GO DUCKS........

• Thumbs Up 2

This is the future, and I would hope that joint arrangements could be made?  We do need a streaming option, but if for some games it is the only option later, we can live with that if the $$$ are enough for Oregon.

We can avoid going to the B1G..because the new 12 team playoff gives us a better chance of making it while in the Pac-12, and improving our national profile, (and dollars) that much better. 

Being in the Pac-12 can get us into the Playoff, and a streaming contract can keep us in the Pac-12.

giphy.gif

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

This is exactly the type of news I was waiting for.

Add a few teams to the pack and we will compete just fine. There is revenue out there if the pack can make the correct moves on expansion and attract some quality programs to the mix.

Thanks for the glimmer of hope Smith.

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Thumbs Up 1

Does this mean all the work Larry did on Old Trapper Jerky sponsorship might go by the roadside. I hope some of the big guys Larry brought in don't get squeezed out.

Unknown-1.jpeg

• Haha 2

As Wilner states “The comment was vague enough that it could have been taken as a reference to ESPN’s digital arm. Or to Peacock (NBC) or Paramount+ (CBS). And Kliavkoff hasn’t uttered a public peep about his media strategy since then.”

I really appreciates how Kliavkoff is calculated. He hasn’t made any knee jerk decisions such as adding additional schools and exploring various media platforms. He may very well adds schools and jump on board with Amazon, but at least it is calculated as opposed to reactionary. Had he been the commissioner a few years earlier, Texas and Oklahoma might be in the Pac-12. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Having Amazon as a digital media partner would be exciting and makes a lot of sense. Given the prevalence of streaming service subscriptions and the fact that pretty much every smart TV in the sold in the last 5 years natively supports the Amazon Prime Video app (my remote has a dedicated Amazon Video button for Pete's sake), that's a pretty firm foundation to build on. 

If Amazon is truly serious about fully committing to dominating college football media on the western half of the country, I say go for it.

• Applause 1

Unfortunately I think this is another gimmick.

It certainly can't be worse than the Pac12 Network.

If it brings in ADDITIONAL money,  great. If it becomes the thing, it's a loser.

Kind-of like all of the late games and the talk of 9am games or an Oregon home game in China. Gimmick

Plus yesterday there were articles about Amazon closing, canceling, or delaying building projects in 70 locations.

It appears that George is trying to convince others how great and valuable the Pac12 is.

I'm skeptical 

Haven't watched a game on Prime yet, I'll be watching the Chargers tonight (hoping for 4K?).  Interested to see how a live streamed game is compared to broadcast.

It seems to me that if Prime is our exclusive carrier then that will take a whole lot of eyeballs off the Pac.  Granted streaming is the future but there is a pretty large audience that hasn't made that leap yet.  I think Prime as a secondary carrier or maybe in partnership with the P12 Network might make sense.  Regardless getting any other interested party involved will drive the price up.  It would really suck to have ESPN set their own price.

• Thumbs Up 1

In today's FishDuck Feed you will find this article from Canzano.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

NFL Thursday Night Football is now on Amazon.

If the PAC can get even  $ 1billion deal for an initial Friday night doubleheader game combo for say 5 years. That's $20 million a team per season, for each school in a 10 team conference 

They can then sign the low ball deal with ESPN and each school gets another $25 million a season.

An exclusive with Amazon is not in the PAC 's best interest. However, i will not throw shade on GK for trying. The PAC is DOA if the Ducks and imitation dawgs leave. DEAD...

As is, some of the schools have one foot in the grave if the PAC goes away. Go get them George.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is an amazing statistic if true.  60-65% of the total content on TV is still through a cable / dish provider?  

Wow...I would have thought that would have been much lower by now.  I have not had cable in many years.  

How hilarious would it be if Amazon just threw down and matched the BIG offer for content and USC and UCLA were stuck solo in the BIG for the same paycheck?  I know that is not going to happen, but one can hope, right?

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2022 at 8:59 AM, shawnski said:

Plus yesterday there were articles about Amazon closing, canceling, or delaying building projects in 70 locations.

It

Pandemic created a spike in demand for online shopping. Amazon is simply making adjustments based upon forecasting models.

Not sure what you are referring to regarding a gimmick, but demand for online entertainment content will continue to grow and Amazon is a major player.

Edited by Drake

I will not be happy if Amazon would be the only option.

On 9/15/2022 at 11:36 AM, Drake said:

Not sure what you are referring to regarding a gimmick, but demand for online entertainment content will continue to grow and Amazon is a major player.

We just disagree 

Demand for online entertainment is growing. For sports? We'll see.

The networks don't think much of the Pac and neither do USC or UCLA.

If they put all of their eggs in one basket, I'm skeptical it will pan out 

Hopefully Pac-12 can seize the best of two worlds, Streaming with Amazon or possibly Apple partnering with ESPN giving us a bigger media package payout.

But, I do believe Pac-12 needs to expand to be more successful attaining a better media rights deal.  Again, the issue is can the Pac-12 make a big splash bringing in a streaming giant to partner up with ESPN:

What's been talked about with expansion with universities on the table:

San Diego St.

SMU

UNLV

Fresno St.

If possible, if the money is there, pull Houston, BYU, OSU and or Baylor away from the Big 12.  Waco and the surrounding area is growing quickly.

With SMU, Baylor and Houston you would grab a huge swath in Texas with Dallas up North in Texas all the way to Houston down South in Texas with Waco right in the center between those two cities.

These are probably the best choices Pac-12 could choose from any combinations.  Of course, the first four are most likely the easiest to attain.

Hopefully through ESPN bring together a loose deal with the ACC playing the new stadiums in Las Vegas, Los Angeles and maybe two stadiums in the ACC country to host the cross conference games.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2022 at 10:56 AM, GeotechDuck said:

That is an amazing statistic if true.  60-65% of the total content on TV is still through a cable / dish provider?  

Wow...I would have thought that would have been much lower by now.  I have not had cable in many years.  

It's on a downward trajectory, unfortunately for cable.  I cut off Xfinity last year because T-Mobile launched 5G home wifi service in my area, I average anywhere from 200-400 mbps all day.  Not quite as fast as Xfinity's offerings but more than enough for my home's needs plus NO DATA CAP.  Now I get marketing mail from Xfinity every month trying to win me back with extra fast internet speeds with no data caps (but on a contract).  They're seriously sweating the inevitable nationwide roll-out of ISP competition from the wireless companies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Off the FishDuck Feed, an interesting tidbit of news..

Been watching the game on Amazon for the last 20 minutes. So far I'm impressed.

Camera work on/around the field, on screen graphics, commentary, etc. are all just as good as what you'd see on ESPN, ABC, Fox, etc.

No problems with video studdering in fast motion sequences or awkward transition between programming and commercials like Sling has. 

This is actually a pretty polished product as far as I'm concerned. Very pleasantly surprised.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/15/2022 at 5:42 PM, kirklandduck said:

Been watching the game on Amazon for the last 20 minutes. So far I'm impressed.

I agree, the quality was definitely there.  

Something to think about for the Oregon brand, advertising takes a hit during recessions and entertainment spending changes character.  Think about how you will choose to watch football if things get financially tough.  If you had to cut your entertainment budget would Amazon prime make the cut?

On 9/14/2022 at 1:26 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Only money, lots of money, will keep Washington and Oregon in the fold. And that protects the Beavers and Cougars, too. Not to mention all the student athletes in non revenue sports. Let usc and ucla and their athletes take 5,000 mile roundtrip road execursions. Every other week.

I am one who does NOT WANT Oregon to leave the PAC. To me, there is a lot of upside with staying. I am aware that I have zero say in the matter.

Amazon prime has 153 million subscribers in the US That's a whole lot of potential eyeballs. Most games in the pac-12 can only be watched by someone with Dish Network(outside of the West Coast) which is dying faster than most cable companies. 

Amazon prime will help greatly with recruits outside of the West Coast as most kids nowadays have access to prime and will actually be able to watch the game for a change. The pac-12 has been stifled way too long by extremely poor tv coverage.

Amazon also won't be hampered by media market size as their more aware of the potential of the Oregon brand on a national stage not just a regional market.

Also unlike ESPN and other streaming services they will not be hampered by bandwidth as Amazon owns AWS the biggest cloud provider there is. So you can always expect minimal latency and a smooth picture.

Edited by Dave23
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Read this article from FishDuck Feed.  Technical/timing sound issues with NFL Thursday Night Football.  Glad NFL started streaming first with Amazon.  This way, hopefully, Amazon will have everything resolved with their streaming issues.  Especially if the Pac-12 are able to include them in a media rights contract deal.

LARRYBROWNSPORTS.COM

Everyone had the same complaint about the "Thursday Night Football" stream on Amazon between the Chargers and Chiefs.

On 9/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, NJDuck said:

Read this article from FishDuck Feed.  Technical/timing sound issues with NFL Thursday Night Football.  Glad NFL started streaming first with Amazon.  This way, hopefully, Amazon will have everything resolved with their streaming issues.  Especially if the Pac-12 are able to include them in a media rights contract deal.

LARRYBROWNSPORTS.COM

Everyone had the same complaint about the "Thursday Night Football" stream on Amazon between the Chargers and Chiefs.

I didn't experience any video/audio sync issues when I watched.  Commentator volume was decent as well, sounds like some isolated issues that just need to be ironed out.  

On 9/15/2022 at 8:56 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I agree, the quality was definitely there.  

Something to think about for the Oregon brand, advertising takes a hit during recessions and entertainment spending changes character.  Think about how you will choose to watch football if things get financially tough.  If you had to cut your entertainment budget would Amazon prime make the cut?

For me it would.  Amazon Prime Video, in terms of quality programming and selection is comparable with Netflix.  Plus if you have Amazon Prime Video, you likely have Amazon Prime (which I do) so there's the added benefits of that membership as well...I do a lot of shopping on Amazon instead of having to drive to stores and fight crowds to get things like school supplies so the free shipping that comes with that membership is a boon.  If I had to make a choice, I'd probably discontinue Netflix or maybe HBO Max if I were downsizing my streaming services.  My kids would murder me if I tried to cut off Disney+...

As someone who cut the cord 10 years ago I look forward to as many of these games going to streaming services as possible. I don't pay $140 bucks a month for the Dish Network package that includes the pac-12 network and the DVR.

I pay $135 a year for Amazon prime for my business which conveniently comes with music and video and now live streamed sporting events. Add on the Disney bundle with the ESPN for another $130 or so a year and between that and the new digital bunny ears I can watch just about everything you can with $140 a month Dish Network plan. Always hated the NFL Network just another thing I needed to buy just to watch a few football games a year. 

Edited by Dave23

Everything was perfect for my viewing!  No problems.

I had the same audio syncing issues a lot of people had. That being said, I still like the idea of Amazon picking up the PAC...I may be new to the whole "no network" thing, but I've been plenty happy with Prime Video, Netflix and Youtube TV.

On 9/16/2022 at 12:31 PM, Smith72 said:

Everything was perfect for my viewing!  No problems.

It helps that I have a fiber optic connection in my neighborhood. 😁

Online entertainment is kind of an outdated term. Everything is online. A game broadcast on Foxsports is also streaming on their app.

Demand for sports has risen because it's one of the few entertainment options that's not scripted and the demand to view live entertainment as opposed to on-demand still remains. That's why the broadcast right's have been going up every time right's negotiation's come up.

Provider's want the live entertainment because advertiser's value those broadcast's over non live which are usually watched on demand.  They'll keep going up every few years as more and more entertainment moved towards on demand. Live Sports will continue to corner the broadcast market.

Edited by Smith72
Spacing
  • Thumbs Up 1