FishDuck Article

Setting the Edge in Oregon’s Lanning/Lupoi Defense

You will often hear the phrase, “setting the edge” or a reference to the “force defender” when you watch television football games, and it makes sense to take a few minutes to observe how the new Oregon defense under head coach Dan Lanning, and defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi fulfill this important mission. How important is it? A Pac-12 team recently won ...

FISHDUCK.COM

You will often hear the phrase, "setting the edge" or a reference to the "force defender" when you watch television football games, and it makes...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

This is a good teaching tutorial. Thank you, Charles.

Charles, thank you for taking the time to put these tutorials together. Your love and passion for teaching and sharing, once again shines thru.

These plays happen so fast during the game that is hard to see the full execution of each defenders assignments.  Thank you and well done.

GO DUCKS!

This is really good.  Thanks for putting it together.

Once again, I repeat: these tutorials are what brought me to FishDuck in the 1st place.  Excellent piece, Charles.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

My thanks to all of you for your words.  I will admit that these analysis take twice as long, or longer than Op-Eds to create, but it will now be in the Analysis Library as an important resource.  And it will be fun to watch for this in future games; as it was--there were plays where our perimeter was broken and it was interesting to see why, and who could not defeat the blocks.

A key component for every defense!

Every Thursday over the next five months will be an analysis by either Coach Boles, or yours-truly.  Learn more football!

DJ Johnson_Eugene Johnson.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

And Manning got absolutely smashed by the 270 lb. TE, but set the edge. At 190 lb. it was impressive to see Dontae get his job done and sacrifice his body to do it.

We will need to see that type of effort more and more to win going forward. Great stuff Charles, once again, or should we say always.

• Thanks 1

As always, a valuable lesson, clearly put together.

• Thanks 1

Defending the run hasn't changed much since I was young and playing d end. Control your lane, take away the perimeter and your linebackers will love you. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2022 at 4:06 PM, Log Haulin said:

Defending the run hasn't changed much since I was young and playing d end. Control your lane, take away the perimeter and your linebackers will love you. 

Good edge players (or Force Defenders) help LB's get all those tackles they rack up for stats.  It's teamwork, but the LB's get to lead the team in tackles.  As long as the fans know how it all works and why just having good LB's is not enough for a team to stop the run.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1