Charles Fischer

New Director of Player Development...is a Former Player

Great to see Tony Washington back, and I have a special picture of him running back Winston's touchdown given to me by a photographer at the game.

Tony Washington hired as Oregon Football Director of Player Development by NBC Sports Northwest

Mr. FishDuck

One of the best highlights ever!

So, just what does a Director of Player Development actually do ??  Are we talking physical development, academic development, football knowledge development ??

What is it I'm missing here ??

2 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

So, just what does a Director of Player Development actually do ??  Are we talking physical development, academic development, football knowledge development ??

It’s basically a mentor. I looked up the job description(s) some colleges have posted and to make it more blunt: they show them around, tell them what kind of people to avoid, make sure they know how to manage their time, responsibilities, and money. Helps them set up a future outside of football. A new thing is help with social media. 

A lot of time and money is invested into recruiting, coaching, training, and keeping these guys academically eligible. Colleges want to protect their investment so their star WR doesn’t crash into a McDonald’s drive through at 2AM. Plus, it’s the right thing to do to have guys get all the help they can get. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BigDucksFan said:

And another job description is: Responsibilities: "The primary functions of this position include serve as academic liaison with the Office of Athletics Student Services; develop and implement a progressive life skills program in conjunction with Athletics Student Services; assist with orientation, admissions and housing process..."

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RatherBe said:

It’s basically a mentor. I looked up the job description(s) some colleges have posted and to make it more blunt: they show them around, tell them what kind of people to avoid, make sure they know how to manage their time, responsibilities, and money. Helps them set up a future outside of football. A new thing is help with social media. 

A lot of time and money is invested into recruiting, coaching, training, and keeping these guys academically eligible. Colleges want to protect their investment so their star WR doesn’t crash into a McDonald’s drive through at 2AM. Plus, it’s the right thing to do to have guys get all the help they can get. 

17 hours ago, Annie said:

And another job description is: Responsibilities: "The primary functions of this position include serve as academic liaison with the Office of Athletics Student Services; develop and implement a progressive life skills program in conjunction with Athletics Student Services; assist with orientation, admissions and housing process..."

Thanks all, that helps clear things up.