Charles Fischer

Crap. And I'm NOT Doing Analyses on Offense!

So much to talk about on offense!  Good grief...did you see the I-Formation early in the game and used often?  We had a Tight-End, Patrick Herbert No. 88 as the fullback and we made great yardage on it.

Whew!  Haven't seen that since the days of Mike Bellotti--wow! 

Bummer about the Pistol, but we used it effectively...

giphy.gif

I will have my defensive analyses every other Thursday, but the one from this week--"Setting the Edge" sure was timely with all the examples in this game!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

The O line was the dominant factor to me. They set the tone on the first drive and never let up. They made the skill players look great. Driving gloves for them all.

• Thumbs Up 1

97E294D7-331A-4BFB-98AE-D6E7B4E55E12.jpeg.e903e6f4f55b871edd399ebd3a6b4fa3.jpeg

Oregons Quarterback accounted for 5 scores, oddly the same number as letters in both his first and last name.

On 9/17/2022 at 4:15 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Bummer about the Pistol, but we used it effectively...

The pistol is fine.. as long as Cristobal isn't using it. I think you said it yourself at one point Charles that Oregon of the Kelly/Helfrich era used it from time to time along with Clemson and even Bama. It's not an every down formation but it has its uses , its a sometimes formation.

I did like the use of the I-formation. I also loved those two gutsy 4th-and-1 calls from Lanning and I LOVED how in both of those calls BYU assumed QB sneak but they did a handoff to a runningback instead and it completely fooled BYU. It's going to make future QB sneaks all the more effective if the defense isn't sure what Oregon might do from that formation on a short yardage play.

And all those scores under 2 mins... oh this is a fun Oregon team again.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

The more I see Irving the more I like!  Too bad Cardwell was out with injury.  Great that we have a stocked running back room!

Irving has good vision and quicks.  I simply love his ability to change direction, shift laterally, and gain extra yards!

Obviously he's worked on improving his hands catching passes since the Georgia game.  All around, I think he's showing that he deserves the starting role.

By the way, Jordan James is a stud.  Showed some toughness in his carries the first half.  Good showing for the true freshman!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/17/2022 at 4:25 PM, Smith72 said:

The more I see Irving the more I like!  Too bad Cardwell was out with injury.  Great that we have a stocked running back room!

Irving has good vision and quicks.  I simply love his ability to change direction, shift laterally, and gain extra yards!

Obviously he's worked on improving his hands catching passes since the Georgia game.  All around, I think he's showing that he deserves the starting role.

By the way, Jordan James is a stud.  Showed some toughness in his carries the first half.  Good showing for the true freshman!

6.9 ypc. More of that please. Lanning using Jame in this game give me a lot of confidence in his coaching chops. Meaningful snaps against a good team. Red shirt him if you can.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck has told me several times, A first down at the end of the game is as good as a touchdown.  So proud of the offense to take time off the clock and get several first downs on their last drive!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Offense was fun and dynamic.  Nix was in total control.  He showed real maturity, throwing away the ball when there wasn't anything there, great decision making all game long. 

I love his competitive spirit that he displayed with his blocking downfield and delivering that blow, trying to pick up that 1st down, on the last drive.  But I would caution him not to lead with helmet, when the game is in hand.  We saw how a decision like that could cost a guy like Herbert most of his season.

Hate the decision to throw a lateral with TT passing to Irving.  Irving has demonstrated that he has questionable hands.  Those are one of those KNOW YOUR PERSONNEL plays.  If they were going to run that play, I would have put Dollars in.  Even though the ball was poorly thrown, slightly behind his target, Dollars would have stood a better chance, making that catch.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Hate the decision to throw a lateral with TT passing to Irving."

That pass should not have been thrown at all.  The corner on that side had a free pass on the ball.  That play was a big loss from the get go.  It seems that TT doesn't see the field well.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2022 at 5:12 PM, Smith72 said:

"Hate the decision to throw a lateral with TT passing to Irving."

I think the pass was actually to Seven. Irving came back and recovered the ball. 

That play was executed very poorly and probably should have been drawn up as a forward pass so at worst it would be incomplete. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/17/2022 at 4:30 PM, Smith72 said:

Mr. FishDuck has told me several times, A first down at the end of the game is as good as a touchdown.  So proud of the offense to take time off the clock and get several first downs on their last drive!

"First downs at the end of the game when you have the lead is as important as touchdowns earlier in the game.  Without both you don't win..."

• Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck