Pennsylvania Duck

Oregon Apologizes for ‘Despicable Chants’ Directed at BYU Fans and Their Religion

What a disappointment for this to happen at Autzen...Bad national look for UO

WWW.DESERET.COM

School official says behavior of some OU fans was ‘simply unacceptable’ and that Oregon will investigate the inappropriate...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Mullens also asked Ducks fans to “hold one another accountable” and seek out UO facilities staff in the event of any future similar instances.

• Yikes! 1

From the FishDuck Feed..."The Oregon PIt Crew", which is the Duck student section, issued apology on Twitter, but damage has been done.

I wonder if they know that several Duck players past and present are of the Mormon faith. It’s not just offensive to BYU fans and players. They’re basically taking digs at their fellow fans and players. 

• Great post! 1

Bush league and unacceptable. UO should revoke the identified students passes and privileges.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 3

Completely unacceptable, and I hope the university makes it known this was unacceptable by banning anyone associated with this behavior.

I would also encourage the university to put in place even better proactive efforts to squash these kind of acts. Signs which warn any signs or behavior exhibiting bias, bigotry or hate won't be tolerated. 

Maybe a sign witch asks the fans to always 'do the right thing,' one of the tenets of the LDS church would be appropriate. 

It is nice to see the reaction to this kind of behavior, now we need to see action to prevent it in the future.

Great effort by the players on the field on both sides, too bad the crowd didn't let that shine without marring it with intolerance, and worse.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

When incidents like this happen, I always wonder why spectators aren't reporting it as it happens to stadium authorities. Did the person who took the video show it to stadium authorities during the game? If they did, that is the time to kick people out and ban them instead of trying to identify them later. Oregon needs to have firm rules to guide their stadium personnel about stadium behavior. I can't believe that not one of them heard this while it was happening. 

Now that I have said my piece, here is another article from the FishDuck Feed regarding this topic and news appears to be spreading.

College Football World Reacts To Vulgar Crowd Chant

THESPUN.COM

No. 25 Oregon's resounding win over 12th-ranked BYU on Saturday was marred by an ugly incident involving the home crowd. Videos...

• Applause 1

I agree with everyone on this thread that this is unacceptable behaviour. Hopefully, any fans who witnessed this will come forward to assist. These fans should lose the rights to any future Duck events.

One to many brews does not excuse this kind of rudeness. If drinking was not involved then these fans have no place at any venue. GEEZ grow a morale compass.

No one and I mean no one should spend their money for any sporting event to ultimately be harassed. The game was between two proud universities with great athletic programs. An organized contest to determine a victor. Not a war between fan bases. A contest not a war.

Perhaps these few knuckleheads should have to take a Charles, Fish Duck class in civility and respect toward others.

PS: Get well soon and a speedy recovery to DazedNConfused. Missing you already.

GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I know this type of behavior happens at all stadiums but there is no place for it.

Oregon fans have always had a reputation for this kind of thing and it should not be acceptable behavior, ever.

The offending parties should be banned from attending athletic events , given serious reprimand and put on probation by the University.

We seriously do not need this kind of distraction and is offending to the university and our athletes.

Sad part is the damage is done and can’t be fixed with apologies.

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

I'd never thought this would happen in Eugene.  Silly me.  Why wasn't security notified?  

I can remember several fans being ejected from a game at Autzen a number of years ago when their drunken tirades got out of hand.  Everyone around those crude fans cheered and clapped when security yanked them out.  The same thing should have happened yesterday or why else is security there?

• Thumbs Up 2

My friends....we have had posts maligning many faiths here in the OBD forum in the past.  This is why I do not allow anything to be written about anyone's faith--no matter how trivial, because it can start something and someone is bound to be offended.

I have deleted three...make that three...posts in the recent past that mentioned a religion of some type.  Like Autzen stadium, this is a sports venue with no place for any mention of religion.

And yes, we have had pejorative statements written about the Mormon faith here in the OBD forum, and to my many friends of that church...I apologize again.

From the OBD Rules:

No. 12: No Reference of any kind to Politics or Religion:  I do not allow even a hint of politics or subtopics pertaining to politics; no names, no terms, no links, not even a word or any references pertaining to anything political. Do not even use the word, "politics" or "political" in your posts because just the word is a lightning rod that generates discussions in a direction we do not want the site to go in.

Any of the aforementioned could initiate a political discussion, and veering in that direction at all will cause a site meltdown in today’s acrimonious climate. We do not allow anything negative directed at any religion, toward anyone in the LGBT community, or toward any race, gender or ethnic group.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

As a Ducks fan over on the East Coast I've never had the opportunity to attend a game at Autzen. My loss. But one of the reasons why I support the Ducks from afar is because they appeared to be a class organization. Maybe I was influenced by Marcus Mariota and the way he conducted himself in both winning and losing, on the field and off. There was also the example of Pre and others before him and since. Even Puddles, as the public persona of the Ducks teams, transcended the usual mascot archetype and softened it, lending an air of good spirited fun and friendliness that could be appreciated by Ducks' and their opponents' supporters equally.

This incident has left a stain on this important legacy. It threatens to undo much of what was and is good about the Ducks and more than anything needs to be addressed forcefully. Still I believe it will take time, perhaps a long time, to undue the worst of this damage to the good name of the Ducks and the University.

Now, everyone, from the students to the fans, from the players to the coaches, will need to comport themselves as we would like them to—as Marcus and Pre would expect them to—as models of good sportsmanship. Nothing more is needed. Nothing less will do.

• Go Ducks! 2

On 9/18/2022 at 11:10 AM, tee duke said:

This incident has left a stain on this important legacy. It threatens to undo much of what was and is good about the Ducks

At every school there are class fans and a few culls.  They were young, foolish kids, a tiny, tiny fraction of the attendance of Autzen.  They do not represent all Oregon, just as the extreme in any topic don't, but I agree with you that measures need to be taken immediately, and forceful.

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

College kids saying stupid things. Probably intoxicated, atleast buzzed. Youth taking jabs at religion. Meh... It will be dealt with and everyone will move on.  

LDS aren't going to get sucked up over nonsense from drunk college kids.  Violators will be dealt with. Nothing really to see here IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

With much respect for BYU, any fan positively identified who was participating in this egregious behavior should receive a lifetime ban from Autzen.  

• Like 1

😂

Its to bad, but not real surprising considering all negative being spread about religion/church goers in general.

Its on national news everyday....