DrJacksPlaidPants

WSU Looks Really Good

Their entire team looks solid even though CSU isn’t very good. Martin Stadium is a tough place to play as well. I was at the game in 2014 when the Ducks barely squeaked out a win. Their fans will be there in full force. It’s going to be a challenge to come out of there with a win. This will be a good test.

KOMONEWS.COM

KOMO 4 TV provides news, sports, weather and local event coverage in the Seattle, Washington area including Bellevue, Redmond, Renton, Kent, Tacoma, Bremerton, SeaTac, Auburn...

• Thumbs Up 2

Playing in Pullman is going to be tough but I think Oregon's primary opponent will continue to be Oregon.  By that I mean Oregon should win by the number but Oregon has to continue to execute at a high level to win this game.

From an Oregon defense point of view and looking at the WSU film for this season their offense has some real weapons and their combination of playaction/RPO hitting crossing routes is very effective at exposing zone gaps.  Christian Gonzalez is an absolute stud but we are still looking for a #2 corner to step up.  To limit their pass options we need to either have effective pressure against Ward or get our DBs into a lockdown mode.  So far this year we haven't consistently done this.  I expect this weeks practice to focus on this.

The WSU run attack led by Nakia Watson has been pretty effective.  So far all three Oregon opponents have been attacking Oregon's edges and running away from the middle with Noah Sewell and Justin Flowe (when healthy).  I don't think WSU will change that gameplan much but will likely mix some Watson runs into the center for spice. 

From an Oregon offense perspective we're firing on all cylinders so WSU will have their hands full.  They play a smaller faster front that is designed to get pressure, I don't think they will succeed against a very good Oregon O-line and an athletic Bo Nix.  The danger here is if Oregon's success in the past two games results in players loosing sync.  I think at this point Oregon's offense has only one major opponent and that's Oregon.

Note that this week is the last full practice week before school starts.  Since the Georgia blowout Oregon has practiced in pads (hitting hard) almost every practice and that's why there are so many dings on the squad.  It's also why the tackling and offensive evasions have significantly improved.  They are mostly healthy but they have been playing very very hard the last few weeks.  I can't imagine the coaches will take their foot off the gas this week since it's proven to be successful on the field.  Oregon is playing excellent fundamentals football right now and the coaches want to cement that for the rest of the season.

Next week I expect practices will change dramatically.  The current rules limit the team to only 20 hours of player participation a week when classes are in session.  That doesn't mean the players will only practice 20 hours as Bo has been working with the TE and Receiver groups outside of practice.  The team emphasizes a player led approach and that I hope will be the secret sauce for the remainder of the season.  Players coaching each other and holding the focus on playing sound football. 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

Tough way to start the season: on the road against Georgia.

Tough way to start the pac-12 season: on the road against WSU.

• Thumbs Up 1