Charles Fischer

Who is the BEST ASSISTANT Coach at Oregon Thus Far?

The candidates seem to be on offense at the moment?  And this is not about recruiting, but simply coaching...

--I LOVE the comments about the running backs and Carlos Locklyn, as we are seeing more vision and additional yards added than in the past.

--The receivers are young, but getting open. I think Junior Adams is coaching them up...

--No sacks and running the ball as well as Oregon has?  How can we NOT make offensive line coach Adrian Klemm the winner?

But wait...what is that offense out there....with so much variety and unpredictability? With a wonderful balance of run and pass?  That is designed to utilize the gifts that Bo Nix has?  And I would say we have seen tremendous growth in our QB, and the commentators on TV were quite impressed.  (QB Coach)

Would that make Dilly the winner?

Or does it makes us, the fans the winners when they are all doing so well.  We weren't saying all this last year at this time!  (And it was his fourth year here?  Yikes.)

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Actually, the entire staff seems to be working well together.

Localyn seems to be of a simple frame of mind when he speaks, but that's exactly the type of teacher you want when you're teaching young men mechanics and techniques.  I, for one, am the most impressed with the production out of his RB's.  This guys must know what he teaching.

Locklyn gets my vote.

No question, Locklyn. The guy brings in 3* transfers and they seem to blend right in and are definitely additive to the program. I can only imagine when he brings in the #6 RB in the country next season. 

He does equally well with the guys on the team and his recruits. He recruits, develops, and inspires.

The guy has elevated the expectations of what an assistant can and should do, does it in a low key way. He is like Dan Lanning junior.

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I have to go with Coach Klemm on this one. The O line play has been incredible this year. Their play has elevated all the skill position groups.

Oregon has some dudes that have become huge threats offensively. Nix, Ferguson, Bucky and Franklin. How are opposing defenses going to deal with that nightmare?

Their success is a direct result of O line dominance. Absolute trust in the trenches. 4th and 1 from own 31 converted confirms this.

The O line is the heart and soul of this offense. IMO

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

We the fans are the winners.  The entire staff has contributed to major improvement in team performance this year.

As to Coach Locklyn, the running back position is improved with quality depth.  One small thing I noticed, but has major importance, is in game improvement.

Irving had a great game!  However, on his first big carry, he was swinging the ball down and away from his body.  A fumble waiting to happen.

I'm sure if I saw this then Coach Locklyn did too.  The rest of the game (as much as I could tell from the TV), he was carrying the ball High and Tight.  Better ball security!

I'm so impressed that the entire staff is committed to teaching in practice, and teaching during the game.  Nothing but positive relentless teaching!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Like 1

I have been very concerned about pass-protection going into this year, but the truth is...we have not thrown many long balls where the extra protection is needed.  Most passes occur quickly, hence why it is easier to prevent sacks.  As the offense evolves and we throw more passes downfield--it will be interesting to see how we do with pass-protection.  (Especially on the right side)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/18/2022 at 10:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

As the offense evolves and we throw more passes downfield--it will be interesting to see how we do with pass-protection.  (Especially on the right side)

But, does Bo have the arm?  Some of his worst picks have been on the deep pass where the ball was under-thrown.  He has nice zip on the ball underneath and to the perimeter but downfield?  I'm not so sure yet.  

Might it not be why Lanning & Dillingham have him throwing shorter passes and the team running the ball more?

• Thumbs Up 1

Watching Loclyn's men take the field, I believe he embraces not only teaching, but learning as evidenced by his relationship with former players and, Coach Campbell.

Dude may never be a head coach, but he could be a lifer as RB coach, and leave a nice legacy for himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2022 at 10:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I have been very concerned about pass-protection going into this year, but the truth is...we have not thrown many long balls where the extra protection is needed.  Most passes occur quickly, hence why it is easier to prevent sacks.  As the offense evolves and we throw more passes downfield--it will be interesting to see how we do with pass-protection.  (Especially on the right side)

There have been two long balls that come to mind for this year. 

One was against Georgia that resulted in an interception. But that was more on Nix and under throwing the pass and an athletic adjustment by the DB than the pass protection. Nix had the time he needed to throw that pass he just missed it. 

Then the other deep ball was to Franklin yesterday and there again Nix had the time he needed. 

I think Washington and Utah are going to test the offensive line. 

From the FishDuck Feed today, Coach Mehringer has done a good job too!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

DL has assembled an impressive staff for a first time head coach. Some of these coaches opted to leave stable positions to work with the rookie head coach in Eugene. 

From his OC, and DC, to the various position coaches, it appears they are all improving the product on the field. 

When guys like Coach Locklyn get immediate results and views their job as an opportunity to serve the players beyond just teaching them the game of football, it certainly helps fans buy back into the program. 

Edited by Drake

On 9/18/2022 at 7:11 PM, Drake said:

DL has assembled an impressive staff for a first time head coach. Some of these coaches opted to leave stable positions to work with the rookie head coach in Eugene. 

Perhaps his best recruiting so far...

The best part of that question, is that it is so hard to answer.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2022 at 2:12 AM, florida duck said:

The best part of that question, is that it is so hard to answer.

It looks like, unofficially, coach Locklyn might be 'winning' this unofficial poll.  He's who I chose because of the impressive RB performance so far.  

But we need to keep in mind all the pieces to the puzzle that help a run game go:  scheming, O-Line blocking, threats to the defense offered by a good cadre of TE's and WR's, play calling, a QB who can also run & throw ... etc.

When the pieces begin to fit a lot of things in the Offense improve.  Same on Defense.

• Thumbs Up 1

It can’t be Locklyn until BC is the starter. So much better than the 2 transfers