David Marsh

Herm Edwards Fired from ASU

I can't say I'm surprised... I'm more surprised it has taken this long. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Not too surprised either--though I wonder how it would have gone if ASU had been winning.

On 9/18/2022 at 2:18 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm more surprised it has taken this long.

Well, when your former agent is the AD that hires you, not so surprising.

• Yikes! 1

From the FishDuck Feed: Herm Edwards out as Arizona State coach amid slow start, investigation

Running backs coach Shaun Aguano will be the interim head coach

NYPOST.COM

Edwards, the former head coach of the Jets from 2001-2005, was hired by Arizona State in 2018.

This is a job where I could see Urban Meyer being interested.  Arizona has a number of quality recruits and California and Texas are close.  Not the strictest academics and we know the Athletic Dept doesn't have rigorous standards for NCAA rule compliance.  I'm sure they have plenty of NIL money available. Lots of eye candy.

I won't be the least bit surprised if UM is a serious candidate.

On 9/18/2022 at 8:23 PM, McDuck said:

This is a job where I could see Urban Meyer being interested. 

This is the first tweet I've seen regarding Herm Edwards' possible replacement, no Urban. Maybe he is on the second list.

Yikes! Look who is on this second list of possible replacements from Jon Wilner

ASU is a dumpster fire. I don't see them wanting to take a chance on a first time head coach like Dillingham. 

I also don't see Johnathan Smith leaving Oregon State for another Pac-12 school. He might leverage it to get paid more. 

I could see Harsin being interested if Auburn continues to go badly for him. 

As for Sitake... I think that is a crazy long shot. He is settled into BYU and BYU is moving to the Big-12 next year. BYU is one of those jobs that is a culture fit, and Sitake fits the culture and probably will retire there. That job isn't on the coaching carousel very often. 

Dilly will be near the top of the list and has ties to Phoenix area.  Fingers crossed he doesn’t go. 

Dilly has a five star QB coming in next year.  I think he has the luxury to wait.

The NCAA has not weighed in on ASU yet and they may get hit hard.  I can't imagine Dilly wants to start out with that mess.

He could sit for another year, build some more cred and possibly have some better choices.

Just my two cents.

On 9/18/2022 at 7:40 PM, Augduck said:

The NCAA has not weighed in on ASU yet and they may get hit hard.  I can't imagine Dilly wants to start out with that mess.

And with this mess does ASU want to take a chance on someone who is new? I doubt it. 

I mean last time they hired Herm Edwards because he is an NFL guy and long time head coach. 

I can see them looking for the most veteran guy they can find that will take the job. Their program is too much of a dumpster fire right now. 

Given that the NCAA hasn’t handed down punishment yet, no established coach is going to touch that with a ten foot pole. Dillingham isn’t going to leave a place like Oregon where he can make a name for himself for a dumpster fire, even if it is a HC position.

• Thumbs Up 1

Informative article on why Herm Edwards must go...What a mess, starting with his hiring! They could've had Billy Napier.

From the FishDuck Feed...

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Arizona State's decision to fire Herm Edwards was as obvious as it was timely. But his introductory presser five years ago set the...

A little better than Pat Haden firing Kiffin on the tarmac.

Nice man.  Not a successful head coach for some reason I don't understand.

On 9/23/2022 at 3:08 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Wow! I wonder if this is really true...

I read a few years ago when the recruiting violations news dropped that the info was leaked by someone either inside the program or just left the program. 

Basically... It was some very specific information as to where to "find the bodies" that only someone with inside knowledge of the program would know. 

But in typical NCAA fashion they have been very very slow to actually investigate. 

I remember rumors that Prentice Gill took an Oregon playbook with him when he hired on at ASU.  That was not a clean operation.

• Thumbs Up 1