nw777b

Winning The Toss: Receive or Defer

What are your thoughts about which option to choose when the opening game coin toss goes your way?

Receive or Defer? 

I prefer to defer unless the opposing team has a strong offense AND when they are home to prevent an over boisterous crowd during the first drive. I think WSU fits that criteria.

If the Duck defense can stop them on their first drive, that's a huge advantage if the Duck offense punches it in on their first drive. But if WSU were to score and the Ducks fail, that's a bit deflating.

Usually, I like deferring and getting the ball first to open the 2nd half after making adjustments at half-time.

Thoughts? What are your criteria for receiving vs deferring?

• Thumbs Up 1

Defer... against BYU, Oregon shut their first drive down, got the ball and scored. The tone was set from that point on.

BYU was never able to flip the script and Oregon had their way all game. TT possessions were an outlier I don't really count.

• Thumbs Up 1

I prefer to defer, unless it was Chip's offense in its prime, then go ahead, score in a minute and half. But for this team, I put the defense on the field first, they get a stop, we get the ball back, and get the ball again at the start of the second half. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty much always defer, I always want that opportunity to score first in the second half, especially at home since our crowd decides to always go on a walkabout and leaves our defense with a half empty crowd to get behind them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Defer ... Get the chance to get some major momentum with a score at the end of the first half and a chance to score at the start of the second. 

Also I feel offended can struggle to get settled out the gate with the game and defenses are pretty amped up. So get the defense out there early on to get a stop and allow the early game jitters to settle down before the offense takes the field. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Defer: moneyball  says 1 point and 12% chance of stealing a possession.

also moneyball says to on-side kick every kickoff. So.........

• Haha 2

On 9/19/2022 at 10:51 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Defer: moneyball  says 1 point and 12% chance of stealing a possession.

also moneyball says to on-side kick every kickoff. So.........

And go for it on 4th down if you average at least 3 yards per play!

I'm all in!

On 9/19/2022 at 8:30 AM, nw777b said:

What are your thoughts about which option to choose when the opening game coin toss goes your way?

Receive or Defer? 

I prefer to defer unless the opposing team has a strong offense AND when they are home to prevent an over boisterous crowd during the first drive. I think WSU fits that criteria.

If the Duck defense can stop them on their first drive, that's a huge advantage if the Duck offense punches it in on their first drive. But if WSU were to score and the Ducks fail, that's a bit deflating.

Usually, I like deferring and getting the ball first to open the 2nd half after making adjustments at half-time.

Thoughts? What are your criteria for receiving vs deferring?

I agree with you 100%... Like verbatim.

Get out of my head! 😁

🦆

On 9/19/2022 at 9:16 AM, 30Duck said:

I prefer to defer, unless it was Chip's offense in its prime, then go ahead, score in a minute and half... 

...or in 7 seconds when you receive the kick off.

The look on the faces of the Kansas State fans was priceless.

...and DAT is how we do it.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2022 at 8:30 AM, nw777b said:

What are your criteria for receiving vs deferring?

For away games, I prefer to see our team take the opening possession - if they win the toss.

For home game, I prefer to see our team take the deferral and start with defense.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2022 at 12:19 PM, Krsmqn said:

I agree with you 100%... Like verbatim.

Get out of my head! 😁

🦆

😆 🤣 😂