Charles Fischer

What if the Pac-12 Went ALL-Streaming? Could You Live With It?

On 9/19/2022 at 3:54 PM, nw777b said:

That sucks, but that's 100% on CenturyLink. If it really is fiber optics, there is no excuse. 

Yep, it's fiber optics.  We're told that there are limits on the number of homes connected to any particular node.  Ours is maxed out (perhaps more?).  There is just not the bandwidth to stream worth a poop.  We can't even use our monitored security cameras due to limited uplink speed.  Grrr.....

• Wow 1

Prime! Yes please. Only thing I watch on cable is the Ducks and Vegas Golden Knights! 

10 yrs from now all sports will be streamed. The theater in my town shutting down is further proof. Viewing habits are changing and will continue to change.

On 9/20/2022 at 4:43 AM, Flaps2 said:

10 yrs from now all sports will be streamed. The theater in my town shutting down is further proof. Viewing habits are changing and will continue to change.

I agree that sports streaming will be ubiquitous.  But over-the-air network channels will still be broadcast and carry game broadcast rights.  PPV may also be the future of college football.  Non-streaming cable sports programming will still be alive and well in rural areas (at least).

won't use Amazon unless absolutely have to.  Don't like what he's done to retailers/shopkeepers around the world.  Guess I'm an old dog facing new tricks but it's come down to the principle of what's best for the local retail community. 

Bezos is wildly successful, but horribly obnoxious in oh so many ways.  I'll listen to Jerry and Jorgy before I bow to the Bezos option.  Streaming elsewhere is an option but frankly, the way most sports have become hitched to the  magnitude of the almighty $$$ dominating has turned me off.  Don't watch NFL (other than Chargers), NBA (ever) and most College football........

Golf is the lone outlet now.  There must be a fishing channel somewhere and of course 50s and 60s TV and movies.

Bah humbug

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As odious as Amazon and Apple are, I'm stunned that some find cable (Comcast, C-link) any less so with the cable product being vastly inferior... especially for the cost.

I went all-inn with streaming 3 years ago and have no regrets.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/19/2022 at 4:33 PM, Duckdude said:

No.  I have a nice big screen TV, and couch.  It’s not a smart TV.  I don’t wanna watch a game on my iPad.  And……I don’t wanna buy a new TV.

If it does go that direction, instead of buying a TV, you can pick up a Roku for $30 that will plug into the HDMI port and then you can have all your streaming apps on there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ran across this article while searching for FishDuck Feed, pertaining to streaming of college football games.

Some points to ponder from business side...

While it is believed that it's an inevitability that Amazon will expand its sports broadcasting eventually,

some are still questioning the viability of major games that are only available through a streaming service.

"Streaming is going to continue to grow," one industry source told Dodd,

"but there is a reason why the NFL is still [largely] on network television."

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

According to Dee <i>This article will be updated soon to provide more information and analysis.</i> <i>For more from Bleacher...