Mic

I'm Not Sure We Want Nix Scoring 5 TD's Each Game

It's a difficult title, but do we really want our most experienced QB carrying the load each game?  (3 scrambles for TD's last week, 2 the week before).  

We all remember what happened to Dennis Dixon and Justin Herbert.  Losing a QB is not a fun thing, nor a good thing for the team.  We've got at least 4 excellent RB's (thank's O-line!) at least 2-3 excellent TE's and several excellent WR's.  Let's use them to beat heads with the enemy.

• Thumbs Up 3

Agree.

But for fun I want him to up his game.

Five TDs is old hat now.

Six for Nix and no picks.

6 or more td passes would be a welcome figure to see from an Oregon QB.

It would be like having Vernon Adams in a linebackers body!

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree, it seems like we have another AB who seems to like to turn it up field. Both guys had a history of injuries, but don't seem shy about laying the wood on opponents. 

Fortunately we seem to have more talent at back-up, but this is Nix's team to lead this season. We need him to tone it down on the running unless it is a critical moment.

I think Bo's aggression comes from the way the have practiced post UGA. I think I heard they have been going full pads through Wednesday. 

You can see it across the entire team. Watching how running back are finishing plays with violence and aggression shows the mindset of how practice is played.

I like the aggression,  hopefully everyone stays healthy.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 5:19 AM, Haywarduck said:

Agree, it seems like we have another AB who seems to like to turn it up field. Both guys had a history of injuries, but don't seem shy about laying the wood on opponents. 

Fortunately we seem to have more talent at back-up, but this is Nix's team to lead this season. We need him to tone it down on the running unless it is a critical moment.

Late in the game on a  3rd  and long Nix ran for 9+ yards taking a stout hit from two Cougars simultaneously. That could easily have been a disastrous play.  As it was, O went for it on 4th and got the 1st down, but go back and watch that play again.  He took a very hard hit trying to reach the sticks.  O was up 38-20 and later settled for the FG running the clock down.

O needs the Senior at the helm until TT or JB are ready to take the reins.  I don't think they are right now. Otherwise, Lanning would not have re-inserted Nix back in the game.  Passing for TD's: absolutely.  Running for 1st downs when the game is on the line, maybe.  Trying to do it all himself, nope.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will take 5 TD’s a game from Bo anyway we can get them.  I look for much more deep passing to happen.  

The defense backs were about to face do not have the speed we have already faced.  (Not sure about Washington?)

• Thumbs Up 1

I definitely agree that rushing TD's from a QB is not the way to go, exception being Tebow, who succeeded even though it was clear he wasn't a passing threat. On the positive side last week I detected Nix, multiple times pulling back on throwing a risky pass= no pick.

I don't want Johnny Football, just running around tossing Hail Mary's or Tebow. Nix is showing mobility, He can pick up some yards, extend possessions. But the RB's are talented and should be the ones carrying the rock. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 1:43 PM, 30Duck said:

I definitely agree that rushing TD's from a QB is not the way to go ...

But the RB's are talented and should be the ones carrying the rock. 

WHEW!  One soul of sanity emerges to agree.  Do you suppose we're both wrong?