FishDuck Article

From the Bleachers: Kenny Dillingham’s ‘Gimme Shelter’ Offense

The opening riff of the greatest rock ‘n’ roll song in history was written and played by Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards. “There’s something almost mystical about it,” Richards said of his start to Gimme Shelter. “When hit in the right way at the right moment, a cheap ride to heaven.” Say the same for the dazzling offense Kenny Dillingham splashed ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The opening riff of the greatest rock 'n' roll song in history was written and played by Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards. "There'
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great article, apology accepted. 

Drex, fun article and a good read. Thanks.. ....

Scoring on 15 of 17 possessions will take the energy out of any defense. Proper execution of Dilly's offense keeps the defense off balamce and allows the O to pile up points. Both, EWU and BYU, staffs and players had no answer. The fight went right out of them. The Ducks D made stops and the opponents fell further and further behind. Lets give the next Cougars the same treatment.

Most on this forum were unhappy with Bo and his mistakes. Myself included. Bo and the offense moved the ball well against The Dawgs. Mistakes were the Ducks undoing. Eliminate the mistakes and scoring on 15 of 17 drives can be the result.

Bo showed leadership, smarts, determination and grit. 3 of his incompletions were smart throw aways. Well done Bo.

So its off to the Palouse. Should be a high scoring affair.... GO DUCKS!

Thank you Drex, wonderful, well said!  A joy to read!

For the first time in years, I'm excited about the offensive play calling.

Dilly has taken the best from many others and created a masterful orchestration of offensive genius.

1. Pre-snap movements with discipline and the precision of synchronized swimming.

2. RPO, Spread, Pistol with a 270 degree spinning hand-off AND the I formation!

3. Uptempo whenever it makes sense.

4. Consistent third and SHORTS.

5. Vast usage of horizontal and vertical real estate. What box?

Another element regarding Bo's grit is blocking. He follows the play and watches for opportunities to block!  It's a risk, but I have to agree with Lanning. If someone wants to ball out, why hold them back?

Maybe a coach from last year's championship team knows a thing or two, because he's seen a thing or two.

I cannot help but believe the experience gained by playing Georgia helped the players see what it not only looks like, but feels like to play at a higher level. And everyone has stepped up their game.

I believe there is still a huge gap between the Duck defense and GA's offense, but I believe the Duck D is going to be great, eventually. Open field tackles have been stellar.

Even if the Ducks trip along the way, they've proven they will get back up and work hard to get back on track.

I can live with that. I don't see them getting blown out multiple games in a row if the majority stay healthy. I attribute that to excellent coaching. 

I see Dan Lanning as a real life Ted Lasso. I believe there is a lot of great wisdom and leadership and grit behind that smile!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Great article, Drex...funny and memory stimulating.  Many thanks.  That Masoli run is one of my all-time favorite Duck recollections.

I'm having real trouble at the moment not wanting to hurt my arm....back patting.  I've been a fan of Nix and predicted (somewhere in the forum) that he had stardom potential this year.  I did not believe he had yet smacked into his qb performance ceiling.  TT and Butters will get their shots this season and KD will have them rolling.  But this is Nix's year to climb to the NFL.

Edited by Mudslide
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great article. Tailoring the offense to Bo Nix's skill set while minimizing calls that would get him in trouble was on full display Saturday against BYU. And Hallelujah! to the clock management displayed during critical drives.

As far as the early Ty Thompson experiment goes, my only gripe is  that Dilly did a disservice to his young QB by starting him off with the doomed lateral pass. It required a read on the corner blowing by the WR block that may be a bit above Thompson's pay grade at this point. He should have been allowed to run the offense that had worked for 3 quarters. The pick was a good throw that Thornton biffed. What a confidence killer.

One tell for me was a TV close up of Thompson's face as the offense was lining up. Almost a blank stare, no eye movement or reading the defense. Maybe a misread on my part, but he seemed locked on to whatever play was called and just following the script. Several pre-snap looks by Nix were shown and he was scanning the defensive sets, making adjustments and in command of his players. Night and day.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is having a plan, and then there is having a plan and executing that plan with precision. What we are seeing is both, a great plan, and the deliberate implementation of that plan by all players. This group of player is all in on the system and methods.

What I saw in the recent past was a flawed plan, many times flawed performance, and then the outcome flawed. The group of players weren't all in on the plan either.  That time is in the past now.

I now look for the plan to be put into effect on the road. What I also see if confidence on the sideline. There is no panic, and that radiates throughout the team.

Our qb also casts an aura of conviction and willingness to do what it takes. That willingness just explodes to the players.

With these two forces impacting the game plan I think this can be a very special season. I think we are ready for the next test, a formidable opponent on the road. Bring on the cougs!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/20/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

The opening riff of the greatest rock ‘n’ roll song in history was written and played by Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards. “There’s something almost mystical about it,” Richards said of his start to Gimme Shelter. “When hit in the right way at the right moment, a cheap ride to heaven.” 

Love it Charles!  And who would know more about "cheap rides to heaven" then Keith Richards?  🤣

The opening riff of the greatest rock ‘n’ roll song in history was written and played by Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards. “There’s something almost mystical about it,” Richards said of his start to Gimme Shelter. “When hit in the right way at the right moment, a cheap ride to heaven.” Say the same for the dazzling offense Kenny Dillingham splashed ...

FISHDUCK.COM

The opening riff of the greatest rock 'n' roll song in history was written and played by Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards. "There'

Oh my- Drex and Charles, you made my day.   I am a Stones fanatic and Gimme Shelter is my all time favorite.   I still get goose bumps when I hear the opening riff.

Kudos to you,  for the stellar comparison.  Anytime there is a reference to Gimme Shelter it's a good day.

Let's hope that storm is threatin' every Pac 12 teams life.   In the famous words of Jagger and Richards:

I feel Bo is maturing and getting comfortable with his line and receivers.  It shows in his play.  His aggressive play, while it makes him a true threat, opens him up to injury.

Makes me dread a Dennis Dixon type injury.  Time to groom a capable back up, TT is not yet.  Tossing TT in now, even to get him experience, has seemed to be flawed.  Mario tried it, albeit hesitantly and Lanning's effort, did not fair as well.  Maybe it needs to be vanilla until he gets comfortable.

But a capable back up, needs to be in the wings.  Just like a Brian Bennett or Nate Costa.  Skilled enough, to not get the team in trouble and make good decisions.

Having the issues we had when Dennis Dixon went down, affected the whole team.  The QB's we went through, even after settling on Masoli, killed the season.  The same occurred when Vernon Adams went down and Oregon was left with Lockie and Alie.  What a melt down.

Waiting for injury, before dealing with a capable back up could blow up an entire season.  A season where so many parts are starting to perform well, to include the coaching.  I would rather Oregon prepare its team to succeed and be pro active.  Than be reactive after a QB injury and tossing them to the wolves.  Go Ducks!

Fun, fun read--thanks Drex!

And it goes to show that none of us thought that Georgia would obliterate us, and none of could foresee the progress of the team since then.  That is why I roll-my-eyes when someone comes in and acts as a "final authority" on a topic, because we all are correct in our predictions only about half the time.

I've been humbled so many times, so your Bo prediction is quite forgivable, since I felt the same way and the facts pointed that direction.

But I want to see all those opinions, as I learn so much from everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I feel like I might be all alone on the forum here thinking that Bo Nix' running heroics (talking especially about the 3rd & 10 late in the 4th) might not be the 'beautiful thing' many are calling it.  

Yeah, it was exciting and impressive the way he fought for the 1st down (coming up just short) and yeah it was gutsy, gritty and inspiring to teammates but ... What if that hard hit he took from 2 defenders had ended in a concussion or a dis-located shoulder or knee injury?  What then for the Oregon Ducks going forward?

Remember, it was late in the 4th with Oregon, at that point, up by 18 pts. (three scores).  Dan Lanning may have made a mistake removing Bo with nearly 4 minutes left in the 3rd qtr. necessitating Bo's return but that's precisely my point.  It didn't look like our backup QB was ready to get the job done and Bo was needed to run the offense again.

Some risks must be taken.  Some risks should not be taken.  Where's the balance?

On 9/20/2022 at 9:14 AM, EzDucksIt said:

I feel Bo is maturing and getting comfortable with his line and receivers.  It shows in his play.  His aggressive play, while it makes him a true threat, opens him up to injury.

Makes me dread a Dennis Dixon type injury.  Time to groom a capable back up, TT is not yet.  Tossing TT in now, even to get him experience, has seemed to be flawed.  Mario tried it, albeit hesitantly and Lanning's effort, did not fair as well.  Maybe it needs to be vanilla until he gets comfortable.

But a capable back up, needs to be in the wings.  Just like a Brian Bennett or Nate Costa.  Skilled enough, to not get the team in trouble and make good decisions.

Having the issues we had when Dennis Dixon went down, affected the whole team.  The QB's we went through, even after settling on Masoli, killed the season.  The same occurred when Vernon Adams went down and Oregon was left with Lockie and Alie.  What a melt down.

Waiting for injury, before dealing with a capable back up could blow up an entire season.  A season where so many parts are starting to perform well, to include the coaching.  I would rather Oregon prepare its team to succeed and be pro active.  Than be reactive after a QB injury and tossing them to the wolves.  Go Ducks!

If Nix goes down we're in serious trouble.

On 9/20/2022 at 10:16 AM, anyotherduck said:

If Nix goes down we're in serious trouble.

I agree, but winners must be aggressive. 

Bo is risking serious NFL $$ if he goes down, so he literally has skin in the game.

People wanted Herbert to run more his Sr year. When he finally did, he made huge plays at the end of the season to help seal the wins.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any offense that includes a read option, which is almost universal now including Dillingham's, has to have at least the threat of the QB running the ball at times.

Bo definitely gives us that. Banging heads with a couple of defensive backs with bad intentions may be a little overboard, but it's what you get with an intense competitor sometimes. 

Here's hoping Bo stays healthy, even if it's in spite of himself at times. 

I think we may be selling Ty a little short. A bad play call (maybe the only one of the game for Dillingham) and a missed pass that should have been caught did him in. 

If Bo goes down at some point, we might be surprised how well Ty does with the opportunity to be THE guy, even if temporarily. He may just rise to the occasion.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

BTW, great article. Charles sure knew what he was doing getting you to write.

On 9/20/2022 at 11:17 AM, OhioDuck said:

BTW, great article. Charles sure knew what he was doing getting you to write.

He very graciously volunteered, and we are all having fun due to his skills.

Mr. FishDuck

FISHDUCK.COM

I loved this article, great tone!  

I think you just coined it, I'm going to start calling this thing the "Gimme Shelter Offense"

Thanks for the too kind words. Many good points IMO. Especially: what happens when he gets hurt running? Indeed. Remember how Ducks tanked when Justin Herbert got injured running ball?  Uff da. 

Augduck. A fellow traveler! How many thousand times have YOU listened to that song. I was 16 in 1969–so it is burned deep. A song born of genius and Merry Clayton kismet.