Charles Fischer

George Kliavkoff Opens Up: 'UCLA Will Lose Money'

There is a ton of great information there about the future of the conference and hence, Oregon(He discusses streaming!)

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

George Kliavkoff gives exclusive interview.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

My 1st takeaway from this interview (not the last!) :

• CONFIDENCE: Kliavkoff sounded confident the Pac-12 won’t lose any of the 10 remaining conference members to the Big Ten or Big 12. I mean, he sounded rock-solid certain. It dovetails with what conference athletic directors have said to me over the last couple of months, but I was still a little surprised at the level of unwavering confidence he expressed. 

“Listen, I think if schools would have left for the Big Ten, they would have left for the Big Ten already,” Kliavkoff said.

Earlier he states he "believes UCLA will lose money" when they move to the Big-..whatever they will name it.  Why would they and not USC, iI wonder?

On 9/20/2022 at 9:15 AM, Mic said:

Earlier he states he "believes UCLA will lose money" when they move to the Big-..whatever they will name it.  Why would they and not USC, iI wonder?

Maybe he means "from ticket sales"

Ha 

Admittedly I haven't read the article yet, but the only way I can see UCLA losing money is if they take a reduced share and then have to split that share with the other state member schools. USC avoids this entirely by being a "private school".

On 9/20/2022 at 9:27 AM, Wrathis said:

Admittedly I haven't read the article yet, but the only way I can see UCLA losing money is if they take a reduced share and then have to split that share with the other state member schools. USC avoids this entirely by being a "private school".

U could be right.  But that would make me wonder why the public schools of the Big-10 would want a private "research facility" (tans: school) in their midst if the revenue gained by them isn't going to be shared somehow?  In fact, a lot of things have me wondering about this whole messy deal.  

Gads, I hope Oregon stays out of this entanglement!   

• Thumbs Up 1

The Canzano/Wilner podcast interviewing Kliavkoff on this subject:

FWIW, Greg Flugaur,  who is a BIG 10 "insider " who has actually been pretty accurate with all this stuff is reporting that someone he claims is a money person at Oregon is saying that the Ducks are being extremely aggressive trying to get into the BIG 10. 

He says they're not concerned about the amount offered to join and that they are willing to expand the sports being offered to include hockey and building a new hockey arena. He says Oregon will not sign anything from the PAC 12 with teeth.

How much of any this is true? Who knows. Something seems to be going on though. You can check his stuff on twitter and YouTube. 

On 9/20/2022 at 10:41 AM, 12Duck72 said:

FWIW, Greg Flugaur,  who is a BIG 10 "insider " who has actually been pretty accurate with all this stuff is reporting that someone he claims is a money person at Oregon is saying that the Ducks are being extremely aggressive trying to get into the BIG 10. 

He says they're not concerned about the amount offered to join and that they are willing to expand the sports being offered to include hockey and building a new hockey arena. He says Oregon will not sign anything from the PAC 12 with teeth.

How much of any this is true? Who knows. Something seems to be going on though. You can check his stuff on twitter and YouTube. 

The fact Oregon is between presidents at the moment leaves me skeptical.  A report of Oregon adding hockey and building a new arena leaves me laughing.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2022 at 11:41 AM, McDuck said:

The fact Oregon is between presidents at the moment leaves me skeptical.  A report of Oregon adding hockey and building a new arena leaves me laughing.

If Phil Knight thought it necessary he could build Oregon a cricket field. Depends on what he and others think will benefit the University. 

There's just enough talk going around to make us all nervous.  Losing USC & UCLA wouldn't be a death blow to the Pac but if Oregon & Wash up'd stakes and left too - it very well could be.

• Haha 1

Good article, but this line seems like a head scratcher..

"ESPN and others, for example, wouldn’t want to be seen as brokering conference-realignment deals."   

What??  Isn't that EXACTLY what they are doing in the BIG and SEC?

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/20/2022 at 11:41 AM, McDuck said:

I would just like to respectfully point out that the Ducks already do have a hockey team. Just not at the NCAA level yet. The thinking is if they join the hockey team would rise to that level and join the BIG 10 thus needing a new arena. 

I get what your saying. None of us including Canzano, Wilner, Dodd,  Mcmurphy, etc  know exactly what is going on. At this point I'll react when there's an actual announcement made.

Until then I'm just going to enjoy watching Duck games and not having to suffer through Marioball again. But that's for another thread.

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 1:31 PM, GeotechDuck said:

"ESPN and others, for example, wouldn’t want to be seen as brokering conference-realignment deals."   

What??  Isn't that EXACTLY what they are doing in the BIG and SEC?

Yes and we know it... they just would like us to not pay attention to their meddling. 

The whole “UCLA is going to lose money” thing seems really out of touch with reality.  

Michigan had the highest student athlete travel costs in the BIG last year at a total of $9.2M for all athletes in all sports. 

Even if that amount is double for UCLA and they have to give Cal some cash, they are going to be cash flow positive in the BIG over what they are going to get in the PAC

Edited by GeotechDuck

"Pay NO attention to the man behind the curtain!"

On 9/20/2022 at 5:45 PM, GeotechDuck said:

The whole “UCLA is going to lose money” thing seems really out of touch with reality.  

Michigan had the highest student athlete travel costs in the BIG last year at a total of $9.2M for all athletes in all sports. 

Even if that amount is double for UCLA and they have to give Cal some cash, they are going to be cash flow positive in the BIG over what they are going to get in the PAC

Kliavkoff spells out the reasoning near the bottom of page two of a letter the Pac-12 office sent to the California Board of Regents.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Letter from the commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference to the University of California Board of Regents, objecting to a move by U.C.L.A. to go to the Big Ten Conference.

On 9/23/2022 at 9:00 AM, McDuck said:

Kliavkoff spells out the reasoning near the bottom of page two of a letter the Pac-12 office sent to the California Board of Regents.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Letter from the commissioner of the Pac-12 Conference to the University of California Board of Regents, objecting to a move by U.C.L.A. to go to the Big Ten Conference.

Interesting.  Thank you for the link to the article.

it seems like there is a huge disconnect on dollars somewhere. The BIG listed their expense budgets for each of their schools last year, which includes travel for all sports. Michigan was at the top of the conference with total expenses of $9.2M/year. 

Wisconsin was second at around $9M, then there is a 20% drop to the next school and some pretty decent falloff after that.  

I understand that UCLA is going to have some increased travel, but it is not like Seattle, Pullman, Eugene, and Corvallis are that much closer for them.  I don’t see how you get to 3x the number Michigan is spending?  

i would think double would be a stretch. 

Edited by GeotechDuck

On 9/23/2022 at 4:21 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I understand that UCLA is going to have some increased travel, but it is not like Seattle, Pullman, Eugene, and Corvallis are that much closer for them.

LA to Seattle= 960 miles (by air)

LA to NJ (Rutgers) 2450 miles (by air)

So roughly 2.5 times as far.

Without a west pod... Every flight would be at least 1.5 times as far.

So there would easily be 3 times as many miles traveled  compared to the small footprint of the Pac12.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/23/2022 at 4:47 PM, DUCati855 said:

LA to Seattle= 960 miles (by air)

LA to NJ (Rutgers) 2450 miles (by air)

So roughly 2.5 times as far.

Without a west pod... Every flight would be at least 1.5 times as far.

So there would easily be 3 times as many miles traveled  compared to the small footprint of the Pac12.

Fair enough.   I am probably thinking about it from a gut feeling instead of logically.  

I wonder if the BIG will leave the LA schools on an island?  They essentially already got what they wanted - media rights money and access to SoCal for recruiting.  Plus, it would benefit the current BIG schools:  

1) Only 1 trip to the west coast trip per year maximum per team

2) Increased travel will make it more difficult for USC and UCLA to be competitive

3) Access to SoCal recruiting with games in LA every year.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. 

I'm now contemplating the ACC/ Pac merger. I think that combined with an ESPN/ Amazon media deal plus extra profits for NY6 bowls and March Madness invites could keep the Ducks happy with staying put and have SC and UCLA singing the blues.

On 9/23/2022 at 4:21 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Interesting.  Thank you for the link to the article.

it seems like there is a huge disconnect on dollars somewhere. The BIG listed their expense budgets for each of their schools last year, which includes travel for all sports. Michigan was at the top of the conference with total expenses of $9.2M/year. 

Wisconsin was second at around $9M, then there is a 20% drop to the next school and some pretty decent falloff after that.  

I understand that UCLA is going to have some increased travel, but it is not like Seattle, Pullman, Eugene, and Corvallis are that much closer for them.  I don’t see how you get to 3x the number Michigan is spending?  

i would think double would be a stretch. 

According to the link below Michigan has an average travel distance of 400 miles within the B1G.  The longest distance between schools (Nebraska to Rutgers) is 1,200 miles, which happens to be the same as the distance between LA and closest B1G school in Lincoln, NE.  All other trips are farther.  

MGOBLOG.COM

This is my first diary, so here goes nothing. As you all know, the new divisional alignment in the Big Ten will depend mainly on the following two factors:  geography, and competitive balance.  This...

• Thumbs Up 1