Charles Fischer

Made a Change: There are 49 Posts in a Thread Page Now, Not 25?

Hello my FishDuck Friends,

To summarize, we are experimenting with changes to see what works, what does not and what are the trade-offs that occur when we make a change?  For example a "page" of posts to a thread used to be 25 until this morning when I changed it to 49 per page.

Why?

Because we are streamlining the FishDuck Feed to have only 40-some of the best articles available per day, the most important Oregon Sports News articles each day with a minimum of redundancy.

The positive?  Now only one page for the 'Feed, and faster to scroll through and check which articles you want to read.  It is important for advertising purposes too, because advertising occurs only on the first page of a thread...no matter how long it is.  It will now begin to fill in beyond 25 posts over the next week, and not having ads beyond the first page of 25 left a lot on the table.

The negative?  You will be scrolling more down the page.  For members...you have a very cool feature that will take you back automatically to where you left off reading, thus scrolling won't be an issue if you are using the "Reading Marks" to the left of thread titles/headlines on the front page of the forum.  

How do you use the "Reading Marks?" Easy, as quick directions are right here, and you will find this is the coolest feature of the forum!  It is worth being a free member for that alone...

Onward!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

... Upward, and ever...

A hopefully helpful tip:  to access the " Mark forum as read" button using Chrome on an Android tablet or phone, click the "hamburger icon" ( the three horizontal black line stacked on top of each other) in the upper left corner of the web page, and then click the "Mark site read" option. The "Mark forum read" button doesn't appear on either of my Android devices as displayed in the tutorial.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the new reading marks option, Charles!

On 9/20/2022 at 1:37 PM, CountryProf said:

Thanks for the heads up regarding the new reading marks option, Charles!

And thank you for passing along how to achieve the same result in an Android, as I've now added your directions to that page.  Thanks!

Mr. FishDuck