DuckIt

Do We Have Any Field Generals on Defense?

I was wondering, if the Ducks have any leaders, calling out the plays and helping the other guys get lined up.  Last year, McKinley was that guy for the secondary.  Prior to him, it was Troy Dye.  We need more of these veteran leaders who aid in and speed up the development of their teammates.  Essentially, they act as another coach on the field, during the game. 

If I had to guess, I would say Bennett Williams is that dude, but I haven't heard any talk to confirm this. 

Good ponder point DuckIt, I have wondered the same myself.

I was positive the NS and JF would have lit it up by now, but so far, I couldn’t have been more wrong…

I would guess Williams and maybe even Gonzalez.

This is a great question. Consider ALL the Duck defenders are simply true freshmen in this new system. They all are learning their assignments and to trust each other.

Maybe they need a little more time for the true leaders to emerge. I agree with Augduck that Williams and Bennett may be emerging. They are very experienced and leading by example. Dorlus and Johnson are coming on strong.

Let's hope this unit puts it all together this weekend on the Palouse. GO DUCKS!

Based on some of the player interviews it looks like there are leaders in each group (DB's, LB's, Line).  The player led model uses the informal position leaders to self organize outside of games/practices.  As far as an overall leader of the defense I don't know for sure but I think Bennett Williams does a lot of the talking.  Noah is more of a quiet personality but I'm sure when he talks everyone listens.  Flowe has always been an emotional leader and I'm sure he does a great job of motivating players on and off the field.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2022 at 4:45 PM, PittDuck said:

I was positive the NS and JF would have lit it up by now, but so far, I couldn’t have been more wrong…

Last season, I would have agreed that Sewell was one of them that could read the defense and blow it up.  But I'm not so sure now.  This season, he seems to be getting lost in the shuffle and about as effective as a true frosh or in some cases, less effective.  I hear the names, LaDuke and Bassa being mentioned more throughout the games than I hear Sewell. 

Part of it, could be the scheming of the other team.  I did see him get double teamed by two lineman on one play, the last game.  I also saw him give up on play and allow the BYU receiver to run into our end zone, unimpeded and catch the ball for TD.

When BYU couldn't run the ball, they started throwing the ball more which put Sewell at an obvious disadvantage in those man-to-man coverages.

People have been questioning at the start of the season whether Sewell is slow or regressing.  From what I have been seeing, he does look a step slower which would explain why he doesn't have any sacks yet.  Another explanation is that he and Flowe are learning a new playbook, just like all the others.

As for Flowe, from all accounts, he sounds like a very vocal leader that brings the energy in practice and in games.  However, with him being injury prone every season, he appears to be getting his feet wet like all the younger, less experienced guys.

I'm disappointed to say that neither Sewell nor Flowe has made much of an impact, so far, this season.  Heading into the Georgia game, they were supposedly the X-factor that opposing teams feared the most about Oregon's D.

On 9/21/2022 at 5:30 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Based on some of the player interviews it looks like there are leaders in each group (DB's, LB's, Line). 

On the D-line, Dorlus is Da Man, but I don't know how vocal he is, out on the field.  He does his talking through his actions or play.

What about Swinson?  Did he get moved to LB?  He replaced KT and had his breakout game against the Buckeyes.  He's been rather quiet too.

DJ Johnson made his presence felt in the BYU game.