Mic

Will Any Discipline be Meted?

This awful incident of student chanting against the BYU players, fans and coaches continues to get national coverage in the media.  A new report comes out today that a recruit attending the game at Autzen Stadium left at half time possibly due to the chanting (he's a member of the Church of Latter Day Saints).

Has the University done anything yet besides apologize to the BYU players & fans?  What can Oregon do to punish the perps and (more importantly) will they?

Here's a thought - a rather draconian one - to get the attention of the offending students involved: close down the Student Section for the next home game.  Make the students pay for their tickets if they want to see the game like all the rest of us.  One game ought to do it.

Too draconian?  How else do you separate the wheat from the chaff?  Chants don't spread and propagate without either involvement or complacency by the rest of the student body.  I would wager my ticket money this harsh measure would stop the vulgar chants quickly.  

Or, we can all talk about it till we're blue in the face and the next incident occurs to embarrass the University and stain the reputation of Oregon Duck Football & Athletics in general.

It's unfortunate that many in the Duck fan base don't share the founding principles of decorum that we share here on this board. It's one thing to help provide an enthusiastic game atmosphere with loud pumped up cheering and quite another to degrade an opponent or their fans with bigoted chants of any sort.

As for punishment, that's a tough one. I would focus more on those that incite such behavior than the those that use poor judgment and go along with the crowd. I'm sure the majority of those that did partake in the chant feel that they went way to far and feel remorse and won't do it again. That would be my hope anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

😂

Seems to be a pretty good frontal, full body shot of at least a couple of the culprits. Anyone with video evidence should turn it over so all can be banned  from any sporting event.

Of course, be put on double secret probation! Maybe a little too early, but we need to kick those punks off campus!

After more thought, showing the nation an empty student section would send a pretty strong message, and if that was where the chants were limited from, what should be done.

The University exists to teach and train young people to be good, productive citizens of our nation.  What better moment to teach and train vulgar, religiously biased students a lesson that might serve them well for the rest of their lives?

I admit it's a very harsh measure but the audio of the incident suggests there were a lot more than just a few students participating.

Or, we can just roll with the 'strongly-worded condemnation' of this ugly incident sent to BYU and the Press.  And call it good.

I thought Charles asked us to stop posting about this incident as it could lead us down the wrong path?

• Applause 1

On 9/21/2022 at 10:44 AM, Tandaian said:

I thought Charles asked us to stop posting about this incident as it could lead us down the wrong path?

If he did I missed that.  In that case, my apologies to this forum.

I suspect that if Charles is inclined to delete this topic he will with alacrity.  But the problem persists and I do not envy our Athletics Director Rob Mullins having to deal with the vulgar behavior of students acting like children - especially when the reputation of the University is at stake.

As written twice before...here and here, we have had three violations recently concerning the mention of religion here, and in the past year we had some terrible things written about the faith of many of my Mormon friends right here on the OBD forum.

I don't want this to go sideways, of which it can easily...so I am locking it.

• Thanks 2

Mr. FishDuck