Babyjesus615

KD to HC Much Too Soon....Right?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

ASU will look across the country for its next head football coach, and Oregon’s Kenny Dillingham could be among the top candidates.

The coaching carousel is off and running for the year in the PAC with Arizona State looking for a new head coach. This article includes Kenny Dillingham, as it is his alma mater. Does it make sense? Avalos did it, Crist-no-ball did it. Does he become another Ducks coach to answer the call of his former school if offered?

Edited by Babyjesus615

There are looming sanctions.  Nobody is going to want to touch that job, until after they know what restrictions will be placed on them.

• Thumbs Up 3

Harsin would seem to make more sense. His time at Auburn is all but over. Other names might be Tom Herman and Kliff Kingsbury. They might even take a shot at Scott Frost.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 9/21/2022 at 10:46 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Harsin would seem to make more sense

Harsin makes the most sense IMHO. Auburn is a meat grinder for all coaches who don't immediately place them in CFP contention. He is a great coach with about as many west coast ties as all the governors of the Pac 12 states combined. and he'd make ASU immediately dangerous again. They'd give him Jonathan Smith-style carte blanche for the football program.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:43 AM, Tandaian said:

There are looming sanctions.  Nobody is going to want to touch that job, until after they know what restrictions will be placed on them.

This is what I've been saying as well.  Why would I want to go to a job where I know it will may be crippled by NCAA sanctions for multiple years?  Not exactly a career-building step.

Auburn is hopeless. Their boosters kill any hire who doesn’t automatically beat Saban. The only candidate out their who can shut them up for a season or two is Meyer.

I agree with this, as your coaching record gets trashed in a situation like this in rebuilding.  And I truly believe it is too soon for Dilly...

Mr. FishDuck

Why the love for Bryan Harsin?

With the exception of Chris Petersen the recent track record of former Boise State coaches is dismal.  Dan Hawkins was fired by Colorado, Dirk Koetter was fired by ASU, Bryan Harsin is about to be fired by Auburn.

I know ASU is a dumpster fire but I don't see a potential Harsin hiring as anything but adding gasoline.

On 9/21/2022 at 2:37 PM, McDuck said:

With the exception of Chris Petersen the recent track record of former Boise State coaches is dismal.  Dan Hawkins was fired by Colorado, Dirk Koetter was fired by ASU, Bryan Harsin is about to be fired by Auburn.

I know ASU is a dumpster fire but I don't see a potential Harsin hiring as anything but adding gasoline.

Yeah, I’m not big on Harsin.  He may be a good coach but he doesn’t have a good track record for getting along with others.  If I’m remembering correctly, towards the end of last season it looked like rats running from a house fire with all those leaving the Auburn program.

I have to confess, I didn't read the article, but is Taggard on the list?

On 9/21/2022 at 11:37 AM, McDuck said:

I think it is because Harsin has more of a track record of finding diamond in the rough recruits and making them competitive. For that reason I felt he wasn't going to be good in the SEC because they must win at a high level both in recruiting and on the field. Harsin would be more suited towards ASU or even a G5 school where the fan base would tolerate lower recruiting rankings. 

On 9/21/2022 at 1:31 PM, Steven A said:

I have to confess, I didn't read the article, but is Taggard on the list?

Not that I recall... I think Taggart is going to be at a G5 school for a very very long time. Also I think with his one year at Oregon it showed that he doesn't want to leave the state of Florida out of his 5 head coaching jobs 3 have been in Florida. He needs to rehab his reputation and that will take a long time with his lack of loyalty to Oregon and his failure at FSU. 

On 9/21/2022 at 1:36 PM, David Marsh said:

is Taggard on the list?

By the time Taggart comes back to the Power 5, football will look like it did in Starship Troopers (maybe the most ridiculous part of that movie). He might just end his career coaching Pop Warner in Alaska. He burned the equivalent of Golden Gate Bridge with that stunt he pulled on the way out of Oregon. This is not lost on ADs around the country looking to replace P5 head coaches.

Edited by Babyjesus615

Dilly is a 32 yo OC calling his own plays in 3 games. I doubt he lands at ASU. But who knows, his boss did it at Oregon.

It truly looks like Dillingham is and will continue to do a great job as OC at Oregon.  I’m not saying he couldn’t be successful if he jumped to HC, but I believe he would benefit from sticking with Oregon for awhile, and if he continues to be successful, he can look for the right fit if he wants to be a head coach.  He is very young, I’d hate to see his reputation get tarnished by taking the wrong job or not being ready.  

I would love to see this staff show a high level work resume while at Oregon, and potentially stick for a while.

The reality may be, (probably to OBDF chagrin) that with the current cut throat nature of college football finance, we may not be so lucky,

I'm personally hoping these guys have the character to stick it out for a while and show how special this crew is.

From the FishDuck Feed, Kenny Dillingham as an Arizona State HC candidate? It may not be crazy...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Is Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham really a candidate to take over as the Arizona State head coach? It seems crazy, but the idea is...

On 9/21/2022 at 5:45 PM, Log Haulin said:

Dilly is a 32 yo OC calling his own plays in 3 games. I doubt he lands at ASU. But who knows, his boss did it at Oregon.

If ASU wants an offensive minded HC then Kingsbury will be available in January. He won’t even have to move out of his house.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 7:02 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

If ASU wants an offensive minded HC then Kingsbury will be available in January. He won’t even have to move out of his house.

That's just some stone-cold stuff right there. And spot on truth. And, IMHO, Kingsbury needs to take that short and whiny QB with him.

Edited by Desert Duck

ASU is where college football coaches go to die. This is about the last HC gig Dillingham should look at. We've been down here for more than 10 years, and I'm convinced that there is likely not a bigger dumpster fire college HC job in the nation.

I have several good friends who are ASU alumni and a couple of them played football here. They are very close to the program. And every year, their football program just gets a bit worse. They're beyond disheartened. 

Anytime I've gotten a bit down on our Ducks, all I have to do is just look down the road a few miles to ASU and I'm instantly reminded how good we have it.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

And there's not a snowballs chance in Tempe in August that the alumni would allow the school to even give Taggert a sniff. 

That, sir, is a very good point.  If true.

On 9/21/2022 at 8:26 PM, Desert Duck said:

I have several good friends who are ASU alumni and a couple of them played football here. They are very close to the program. And every year, their football program just gets a bit worse. They're beyond disheartened. 

All it takes is the right hire to come along (and a little $).  Easier said than done, tho.

I love what I see beginning to develop at Oregon. If I had my druthers, it would be really interesting to see what grows out of the younger coaches being patient  enough to spit polish the current product, and stick with Lanning for at least 3-4 years, and really establish a successful system.

Develop an actual "coaching tree" that can look back and show the college football world what building a great vision can do for the future. 

Edited by woundedknees
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/22/2022 at 2:41 PM, woundedknees said:

I love what I see beginning to develop at Oregon. If I had my druthers, it would be really interesting to see what grows out of the younger coaches being patient  enough to spit polish the current product, and stick with Lanning for at least 3-4 years, and really establish a successful system.

Develop an actual "coaching tree" that can look back and show the college football world what building a great vision can do for the future. 

Same here, I think this coaching team can be special as they become cohesive learn how to fit together. 

I do not begrudge Dilly taking an opportunity to be a head coach if that's what he wants, but I think he will have better opportunities if he waits a few years and is successful at Oregon. 

He has the luxury of being patient right now. 

On 9/22/2022 at 2:11 PM, OhioDuck said:

He (Dilly) has the luxury of being patient right now. 

I have little doubt that continued success at Oregon will have significant potential rewards for this staff.