Duck 1972

Will This Young Team Struggle on the Road? (Are They Young?)

In my analysis over the years I have seen a trend develop. I look at team's that struggle on the road (especially the Ducks) and have noticed they are young, starting a lot of frosh and sophs.

I don't know how to qualify this 22 team. At start of the season I thought they were young but because they had mostly all played last year this years team was young but experienced.

Then the debacle of Georgia got me thinking. Are they a young team who will struggle on the road or not? What do all of you think.

Difficult to say because of how the COVID year messed with eligibility. Sewell is a sophomore because his real freshman season in 2020 didn't count. 

I think there are vets who know how to travel and youngsters who don't. I think the real challenge is to ensure everyone travels well and is focused. 

That is on the coaches who are all young and haven't done a lot of leading that focus. They have all been apart of teams who have traveled well and know how to do it in theory but can they do it in practice? We'll find out.

I really have no idea. But I was so down after the Georgia game that it was a good thing there were no tall Bridges around 🙂 .

After last Saturday's excellent game, I'm just about to the place where nothing they do will surprise me... good or bad.

But this game will certainly be very telling. Last week's game was huge, but this one, given that it is a road against who looks to be a very good team, may be even more telling.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Go Ducks! 1

On 9/21/2022 at 8:48 PM, Desert Duck said:

I really have no idea. But I was so down after the Georgia game that it was a good thing there were no tall Bridges around 🙂 .

After last Saturday's excellent game, I'm just about to the place where nothing they do will surprise me... good or bad.

But this game will certainly be very telling. Last week's game was huge, but this one, given that it is a road against who looks to be a very good team, may be even more telling.

Especially for our offensive line.  

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, they're pretty young especially at a lot of the 'skill' positions (RB's, WR's even TE's and certainly the backfield on defense).  The coaching staff is also (as a unit) even younger.  This is why I think the Ducks put it all together in about a year or two when this new system has ironed out all the kinks and more players are experienced in and/or recruited into that new total team system.

Struggle on the road?  

That's why we are all so anxious to see how this next game plays out.  One game does not a trend make and losing to the reigning National Champions on the road is not a fair marker to make an accurate judgement, imo. There might not be a single team in the country that could have beaten Georgia in Atlanta 3 weeks ago.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:40 PM, Mic said:

Yeah, they're pretty young especially at a lot of the 'skill' positions (RB's, WR's even TE's and certainly the backfield on defense).  The coaching staff is also (as a unit) even younger.  This is why I think the Ducks put it all together in about a year or two when this new system has ironed out all the kinks and more players are experienced in and/or recruited into that new total team system.

Struggle on the road?  

That's why we are all so anxious to see how this next game plays out.  One game does not a trend make and losing to the reigning National Champions on the road is not a fair marker to make an accurate judgement, imo. There might not be a single team in the country that could have beaten Georgia in Atlanta 3 weeks ago.

I think Alabama is going to get spanked this year by Georgia.  That is an elite defense.   One that will be even better.   

Washington State supposedly has a pass rush?   We have already seen some of the best lineman our players will ever see.  

We will be able to handle the pass rush.  

Can our young DB’s handle the 50 passes they will see if WE don’t come up with a pass rush?

Bo has seen pash rushers before, he beat Bama once.  He is the key in my opinion.

I am so confident in my opinion that I will guarantee a victory by at least 3 points.  Those were my hubbies thoughts.  

He and my brother think Ducks are behind at half, but roll in second half.    

I honestly don’t know what to think of my Ducks yet.

Please play under control BO!  The 300+ yard games will come…

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting topic, the road games and it's effects, affects. Evidence shows referees are affected by the crowd, and by default players too.

Can these young players not be affected by the negative feedback, and play down to the response they hear from the crowd. That is the trick, keep oneself focused even when they aren't hearing cheers, and positive input.

Does one or more of our key guys get down after a mistake, because of the crowd? This is also where veteran leadership can play a key role. Can players like Bo Nix keep his players on task, and executing when they get down. They need to be aware and able to keep everyones focus.

This is also where our new head coach has to show savvy and an ability to do what is necessary to have the team mentally ready to perform without the positive crowd.

He also needs to keep them focused while traveling. Many of these young men probably haven't spent a lot of time in hotels. All of these variables have to be managed.

Do we have the veteran leadership, and can the coaches do what is needed to keep everyones eyes on the prize, we'll see. Go Ducks!

• Like 1

Losing - especially losing bad - can teach you everything. Winning teaches you one thing: you like it. That’s why the value of the Georgia game as a teacher for both players and coaches has the potential leading up to Pullman to get them ready for anything the Cougs and their fans might throw at them. Has the Georgia lesson sunk in yet? That’s why you play the game.

• Thumbs Up 1