SoGaDawg

Thoughts on Rat Poison?

I apologize in advance that this is a question pertaining to my other favorite team.  I’ll not make a habit of presenting such topics here on OBD forum.  But while I’ve only been a member here for  a short while, I’ve been here long enough to realize that there are many very knowledgeable CFB fans here, a few much more knowledgeable than myself it seems.  So I ask for your indulgence and opinions of a question about my Bulldogs.  You guys can be more objective I believe than others I might ask.  

To put it simply, how worried do you think we should be about all the rat poison?  Of course you all know what I mean.  The media and pundits are building GA up to be one of the the best teams ever ext, ext….. and so on.  Don’t get me wrong, I love our guys getting the praise, and they are really good, but it’s a bit ridiculous this early.  There is a reason Saban has always hated this and a reason Kirby hates it now.  We got built up last year by the media and then promptly got our butts handed to us in the SECCG.  

My point is, this makes me nervous for my Dawgs.  What is your opinion on Rat Poison DuckNation?

On 9/21/2022 at 7:36 PM, SoGaDawg said:

So... here's the deal -- If the NFL was looking to add just one new team, I'm pretty sure you guys would no longer have a college football team.

But seriously, while the Ducks imploded in Atlanta, a big part of that is because the Bulldogs are an exceptional team. They're not 49-3 exceptional, but they're pretty darn close. 

While other teams have 2nd and 3rd string players, I'm convinced that Georgia just has "other players."

Bottom-line is that I also appear to have drank the Bulldog kool-aid and therefore am likely not the guy you are looking for a response from.

But Go Ducks & Go Bulldogs!

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Correction: I haphazardly said there are a few here that know CFB better than myself.  I misspoke.  There are many that contribute here that likely know college ball better than myself.  Hence my asking this question.

The nature of the news business is to sell newspapers (or, in modern terms, 'clicks' on internet blogs, news articles and ratings on TV shows).   How do you get that viewership and those ratings?  You provide provocative stories about the most compelling subjects, i.e. the most successful football teams.

How much time should a College Football analysis show spend talking about, say,  Towson State football?  How many viewers in American are interested in, or give a rat's 2 cents (to go with your 'rat poison analogy) about that program versus say ... Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, GEORGIA?

Right now Georgia sits atop the collegiate football heap after winning the Natl. Championship.  Game one, they absolutely throttle a pretty good program in the University of Oregon.  Of course the pundits are all gonna jump on this bandwagon and declare Georgia the best thing since sliced bread.  And until someone comes along and upsets them, they are.

It just goes with the territory.  Enjoy it while it lasts because, while parity in collegiate sports isn't where the NCAA wants it to be yet, repeating champions are almost as rare as hen's teeth.  Georgia's earned their time in the sun. "Don't worry, Be happy!"

Edited by Mic
tightening things up
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/21/2022 at 11:16 PM, Mic said:

The nature of the news business is to sell newspapers (or, in modern terms, 'clicks' on internet blogs, news articles and ratings on TV shows).   How do you get that viewership and those ratings?  You provide provocative stories about the most compelling subjects, i.e. the most successful football teams.

How much time should a College Football analysis show spend talking about, say,  Towson State football?  How many viewers in American are interested in, or give a rat's 2 cents (to go with your 'rat poison analogy) about that program versus say ... Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, GEORGIA?

Right now Georgia sits atop the collegiate football heap after winning the Natl. Championship.  Game one, they absolutely throttle a pretty good program in the University of Oregon.  Of course the pundits are all gonna jump on this bandwagon and declare Georgia the best thing since sliced bread.  And until someone comes along and upsets them, they are.

It just goes with the territory.  Enjoy it while it lasts because, while parity in collegiate sports isn't where the NCAA wants it to be yet, repeating champions are almost as rare as hen's teeth.  Georgia's earned their time in the sun. "Don't worry, Be happy!"

Good point! It’s not gonna last forever.  And you’re right, it goes with the territory.  It’s just that I’ve watched the games looking for what we didn’t do right.  Trust me when I say we aren’t as indestructible as it seems.  Not yet anyway.  

Alabama, "the" Ohio State, Georgia and Clemson/Oklahoma (tied) will always be at the top.  They have the recruits and talent depth to go with the solid coaching.  The wanna be's, Florida, FSU, USC, LSU, Tennessee, have had past success but are living off their pasts.  Often with over inflated and rated teams and coaches.  The top five have the systems and coaches that have made for long successes.

Georgia, has a solid team, the depth moving forward and the recruits waiting in the wings.  Main reason, Saban, has been so successful, depth of talent, coaching and bringing it all together.  Hoping Dan Lanning is our Lightning in a bottle.  Love to see His light shine for a long time at Oregon.  But in the mean time, best wishes on your road to the NCG.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 9/21/2022 at 8:38 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Good point! It’s not gonna last forever.  And you’re right, it goes with the territory.  It’s just that I’ve watched the games looking for what we didn’t do right.  Trust me when I say we aren’t as indestructible as it seems.  Not yet anyway.  

No one's unbeatable, for long.  Georgia just might be good enough run thru another season without losing - then again, maybe not.  All teams have their strength's and weaknesses, including Alabama, Georgia and all the other current pretenders to the throne.

If it weren't that way, how boring college football would be to watch and how much less special would those championship trophies seem if the same team won them year in and year out.

And as to what EzDucksit said above, I remember when Alabama wasn't nearly as good as they are now and weren't in the picture at all.  Back in the 70's & 80's it was teams like Oklahoma, Nebraska, Florida State, Miami, Texas, USC and Notre Dame that everyone thought were always gonna share the titles between them. 

Change sometimes comes quickly and sometimes it grinds slowly like a mill wheel.  But I guess one could say the one constant is that nothing is constant except change.  

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is difficult to play the perfect season. You guys are the media darlings right now and everyone else you compete with wants to knock your teeth out. Injuries can change the dynamics of a team quickly.

Stay healthy and you guys are looking good. 

Most fans know if their team has a legit shot at the title. Media attention comes and goes. Enjoy it for what it is worth. You are only as good as your last game, and the media is just reporting what they have seen. 

Good luck. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't really pay a lot of attention to the talking heads in sports. I will watch a little bit of GameDay. Mostly I read comments and convo here.

I watch games pretty much all day on Saturdays and I have watched UGA every game. I know what good football is supposed to look like.

UGA passes the eye test. Probably the best college football team I have ever watched. From coaching to players, this team is pretty amazing.

That said, I am happy with what I am seeing from our Ducks. In the last game they passed the eye test  against a quality opponent. Not at UGA level obviously but they looked really good last weekend. 

I am going to enjoy UGA football this year. They are a treat to watch. Any fan of college football knows that this years UGA is something college football has never seen. 

Everyone should be a fan of what has been created at Georgia. They are a special team and I celebrate what I see when I watch them play.

Go Ducks

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Last year UGA had one of the dominant defenses ever. Then the draft took most of them away. Thought it might take awhile to get all the new pieces working together even as talented as the players are.

Now we're 3 games in and from my vantage point they look even better than last year and that's a tall order. Still the competition hasn't been against the top CFB teams of this year.

You and UGA won't know for sure how good they are until said games happen. Imo any team of basically kids are suseptible to the rat poison of the hype machine until they really know for sure if they are good or not. 

How many games it takes is anyone's guess. Coaching and critical injuries are also a big part of what transpires throughout this process. 

You also play in a tough conference although your division hasn't been as good as in the past.  All I can say is good luck for the rest of the season. Then you will know the answer to your question.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think you will be fine..................... until you make the cover of SI, then all bets are off!

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1

As for last year, did it really matter who won the SECCG? 

In all of sports, there is a tendency to blow up when a team has gone undefeated the whole season in a dominant fashion only to lose late in the season right before a playoff. It's mentally deflating.

But GA seemed to go "pfffft" and show up big to finish off the season as strong as ever. That's mostly on coaches.

This year, I see wrinkles in the D. But that NFL caliber interception against the Ducks is seared in my mind forever. And so is the image of the biggest TE I've ever seen leap over a defender like a ballet dancer in the Nutcracker. In fact, I'm declaring that move as the Nutcracker.  Read into it whatever you like. 😉

• Thumbs Up 3

Just my .02, but the antidote to "rat poison" is humility. Either you tune out the noise and stay humble and hungry, or you lose one and find said humility (just ask Texas A&M). In my mind this really comes down to coaching and can Kirby keep the noise out of his locker room...and my thought is "yes, he absolutely can".

There's really only a couple games on your schedule that have enough talent to warrant any concern: Florida (which is a rivalry so the team is always up for that), Tennessee is still a year or two from being dangerous and you have both those games at home. That leaves Miss St and Kentucky, both of which are on the road.  The Pirate is always a wild-card and comes before your date in the Blue-grass State, so that's the game that I see being dangerous. Talent wise you all will continue to crush, but beware the Mississippi State game as it has the look of a trap game. 

However, as I stated earlier...I believe Coach Smart will keep this team focused and you have a large enough talent gap that if they lose focus for a game, it should carry them to a win even if it's close.  However, I expect you all to continue steam rolling the competition and repeat as National Champions.  

Cheers, let's enjoy watching the season unfold...

• Thumbs Up 3

Not all teams are constructed to be immune to the Rat Poison.

Georgia is one of the very few teams that won’t take the bait.  First and foremost, the Dawgs have a roster that is not new to success.  The trajectory the Bulldogs have taken to reach the college football mountain top has taken years, and a thick skin has been developed during that time. 

Secondly, GA has obtained enough talent to be able rotate its players.  Those on the field as starters today may have been back-ups last year, but they were back-ups that saw extensive action in competitive game situations.  Again, these guys are building that thick skin. 

Finally, I would say the culture within that locker room won’t allow outside accolades to interfere with what this team is trying to accomplish.  That’s a testament to Kirby Smart and the environment he’s cultivated over his tenure with the team.  One could suggest it’s akin to what the Patriots had during their heyday when Bill Belichick didn’t pretend to be smarter than everyone else by drafting guys from directional schools in the early rounds. 

Just an objective note from what I’ve seen this year. 

After watching Bama and tOSU, I think the gap between 1, 2, & 3 has widened, and GA is (1) in this scenario.  The Tide hasn’t shown the perimeter threat this year that they’ve had in recent years.  If it wasn’t for Bryce Young magic, and TX being forced into turning to a #2 QB (albeit experienced), the Tide would have lost that game.  As for tOSU, they seem to have sequences where they haven’t played to expectation.  I can’t explain it.  I just envision them (tOSU) on the field with the Dawgs and them not liking the result.  Just an eye test thing for me, I guess. 

Final answer.  Don’t worry about the Rat Poison.  Cross your fingers for team health, and this season should play-out favorably for Georgia Bulldog fans. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with Jester. There’s just something about the Athens culture that makes you feel like they do it right - from top to bottom. Unlike Alabama, whose Sabanized, faceless corporate structure that seems to mask a multitude of sins, Georgia always appears to be up front and out in the open - winning or losing. 

As for reaching for another brass ring? The rules remain the same: win the first one, good on you; win a second one? You’re a marked man. The media thrives on playing king of the mountain. Like the Roman senate, they love to praise Caesar all the while awaiting their chance to stab him in the back. It’s their job.

But, because Georgia is Georgia, IMO, Dawgs got the best chance of repeating of any team in sometime. 

So, take a lesson from a Duck: let the media gush roll off your waterproof feathers, and keep on doing what your doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

The most impressive thing about the Saban Alabama teams is that they have been so good for so long. Clemson was on top for a couple of seconds, but Alabama is in the midst of a dynasty. Until now,

Last year's Georgia's defense was historic, and even with half of it playing in the NFL now, it's just as dominant this season.

Georgia fans should enjoy this while you can. Your coach is smart. He, like Saban, appears to know how to keep complacency from setting in. The schedule will be tough enough that the Bulldogs will have to be sharp to accomplish what they want. It turned out great last season, Alabama won the first game, but Georgia came back, and won the Natty. Sweet.

• Thumbs Up 1

When asked about passing along the wonderful things in the press to his offensive linemen, former Oregon Offensive Line Coach Neal Zoumboukos used to say, "we don't give them any sugar." 

Neal Zoumboukos Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

"Pride comes before a fall."

That is the main reason why there are "trap games"... a team has a gigantic win, they feel on top of the world, the next opponent up isn't near as good as the one we just beat, another big game is just down the road... and so a lesser opponent is overlooked, under-respected, and under prepared for.

The real rat poison is pride. The antidote is humility. The noise from the media is the petri dish for pride.

So, yes, you should be concerned about all the noise.

The coaches, the team, and the fans all need to keep their own pride in check. The bigger the pride, the harder the fall.

Good coaches preach against pride to the team all the time. That is why the "faceless opponent", "playing against ourselves", "playing to our standard" themes come up all the time. It's why DL tells his team "there are no stars once you get on campus."

Nobody is so good that they cannot lose to an unrated or under-rated opponent.

We are all impressed when some who are so good at what they do and yet demonstrate what appears to be true humility. Marcus Mariota and Justin Herbert quickly come to mind but there are many others, including young people on our teams today. We all need to strive to be that guy.

On 9/22/2022 at 11:48 AM, Jon Sousa said:

Good coaches preach against pride to the team all the time. That is why the "faceless opponent", "playing against ourselves", "playing to our standard" themes come up all the time. It's why DL tells his team "there are no stars once you get on campus."

"Who are we playing against? Oregon!"  - Dan Lanning in the 3rd qtr of the BYU game.

A coach is always battling the complacency urge when playing over-matched opponents.  It's also when unfortunate injuries occur because of the carelessness that complacency generates.  It's probably a source of endless frustration for the HC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bulldogs do not eat rat poison.... they drool on it! 

I foresee another ring on coach Smart's finger.  

• Thumbs Up 2

One thing was mentioned above as how Kirby rotates players. A ton of what Kirby does is being mimicked here at Oregon.

Looking at the runningback room,  LB 's, the shifting around on the line. Lanning has the dudes in the RB's and LB's to go fairley deep. He is using a lot of players.

I don't think Lanning cares one bit about burning redshirts. He is going to play guys as much and as often as he can. "If you're good enough, you're old enough ".

I think the rotation Kirby uses is a big reason for his success. I think Lanning thinks so too.

Lanning had Ty in the game early last week. Lanning knew it was to soon, one more score was needed. I think DL put TT in for development and teaching. Everything DL does is on purpose. 

Lanning had a great teacher in Kirby Smart. I think it's safe to say that Master/Grasshopper relationship didn't end when DL put on Green and Yellow. 

I hope Lanning and Smart meet in the final game in the next few years. Instant classic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I tried to help you out a few days ago. I read something where someone was suggesting the Dawgs are the best college football team ever. 

Well, I said they are really good, but GOAT is a pretty tall order. Let's wait until they've played a few more than three games. 

In any case, when a team is really hyped (maybe over hyped) in the media, the key is getting the players to not believe it. 

Bama may not be looking invincible these days, but they are Bama, Florida may have stumbled againt KY, but they looked pretty tough against Utah... there are really good teams out there with really good coaches working to get better every day. 

I have a feeling Coach Smart has the Dawgs convinced they have to do the same. They need to know they are not where they need to be to win in late November and December. Because everyone is going to be better then.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/22/2022 at 12:44 AM, EzDucksIt said:

Alabama, "the" Ohio State, Georgia and Clemson/Oklahoma (tied) will always be at the top.  They have the recruits and talent depth to go with the solid coaching.  The wanna be's, Florida, FSU, USC, LSU, Tennessee, have had past success but are living off their pasts.  Often with over inflated and rated teams and coaches.  The top five have the systems and coaches that have made for long successes.

Georgia, has a solid team, the depth moving forward and the recruits waiting in the wings.  Main reason, Saban, has been so successful, depth of talent, coaching and bringing it all together.  Hoping Dan Lanning is our Lightning in a bottle.  Love to see His light shine for a long time .  But in the mean time, best wishes on 

Yeah, Bama isn’t going anywhere as long as Saban is around.  Honestly, right now I’m more concerned with KY than FL, bc we play KY in Lexington.  Stoops has really done a great job with the Wildcats.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I’d like to thank all my Duck friends for the great feedback on this thread. Once again, very interesting and enlightening.  

GO DUCKS!!!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 1:21 PM, DUCati855 said:

Bulldogs do not eat rat poison.... they drool on it! 

You might be right about this one...

English bulldog Zsa Zsa, World's Ugliest Dog, dies at age 9

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Learning from your mistakes is what makes you stronger and I think your Dawgs learned pretty good from their mistakes in the SECCG.

• Thumbs Up 1