Charles Fischer

Media Rights: 'Uncomfortable Truths About the Pac-12'

There is new information about the media rights negotiations, factors that Oregon fans will want to know, and Canzano has done an excellent job bringing them to us.  (Good and bad)

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Will the Pac-12 strike a deal?

In particular, look at the "Leverage Issue" section of this article.  Whew!

Mr. FishDuck

Canzano did a good job reporting the behind-the-scenes machinations going on at Amazon/CFB.  Unfortunately, he's correct in his analysis about leverage.  

It seems to me it can all be boiled down to one essential fact:  Pac-12 teams must get good enough to win against the really big programs more consistently and make the Playoffs, period.  Easier said than done.

My broken record keeps playing the classic hit "Just Win Baby".

On 9/22/2022 at 4:23 PM, nw777b said:

My broken record keeps playing the classic hit "Just Win Baby".

Yeah, I said in another thread the product on the field means as much or more than the size of the market.

Oregon is an example. Eugene is a tiny TV market, but Oregon (at least until MC) put a great, exciting product on the field. 

I became a Duck fan, in spite of my geographic dislocation, because of loving how Oregon played.

It was also cool seeing a team usually mostly made up of 3 star guys beating some of the big name schools (and watching their fans pull their hair out over that).

Winning is part of it, but playing an exciting brand of football conference wide would also help the PAC.  

• Applause 1

If George wants to retain Oregon and Washington...he has to get great revenue going, period.  To me, the Streaming package could make-or-break the future of the conference in both how much money is paid to the conference, and to the amount of content.

Having sports other than football and basketball (non-revenue) on streaming only?  Isn't that a way to kill those sports for viewership?  They already get very few eyeballs, and now people have to pay for streaming to see a Track meet?

Football needs to be on streaming as well, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

It seems to be a consistent message that the Pac 12 is going to share revenue evenly.  If USC and UCLA wanted a bigger slice of the pie, how do you remedy that?  

I do like the idea of successful schools get a larger portion of the bowl money, march madness money, playoffs, etc...  You don't take everything away, but when only a few schools have been successful at football and basketball, they do deserve a bit more of the revenue.

If streaming is what it takes to increase revenue for the conference, sign me up. Anything to avoid a move to the Big 10, which is seemingly inevitable. Although maybe not with the playoffs expanding.

Canzano points out that the PAC’s lone asset maybe it’s time zone, however I feel it also hinders the conferences marketability. The conference needs to expand into Big XII territory and swoop up some selected candidates.

It sounds as if they were going that route prior to USC AD derailing expansion talk, and then soon thereafter bolting for the Big 10. Unfortunately, it’s a delicate issue because you don’t want too many mouths a the table to fed. Who knows though, with the right combination of teams, it might move the financial needle far enough to bring UCLA back to our table Especially, considering that South Alabama game last week and the fact that they would be the lone LA market in the conference.