Jester

Anyone up for a Close Game?

I think the string of games lacking 2nd half intrigue is quickly coming to an end. 

The law of averages would suggest we’re due for an App. State style nail-biter, and Pullman is the perfect setting for this to take place.  To be blunt, that place is just weird and weird things happen in weird places.  Pullman is the type of place that could render your compass useless against the pull of the magnetic north pole.  A place that would be voted most likely to have had real life vampires attending an opening night screening of Twilight.  I don’t know, man.

I saw they had a tussle with the vaunted Vandals of Idaho, bested the Badgers in the turnover bowl, and started to get their legs under themselves vs. the hapless Rams of Colorado State, who by the way lost 34-19 to Middle Tennessee.  To make the win against CSU less impressive, I’ll gladly let you know MT lost a close one to James Madison, 44-7.  Fun Fact:  The next opponent for the Hurricanes – Middle Tennessee. 

After taking a deeper dive into their record, knowing they have a newbie (less than a year…still wet behind the ears) head coach, and in having a pretty good idea of how their player personnel stacks-up against ours, this is a no-brainer, right?  Why do I feel that’s not the case. 

Going way back in this series, wins and losses were fairly even until the pendulum swung quite heavily in favor of Oregon in the mid 80’s, but our friends with a logo befitting of the oddness of their university have won two out of the last three in Pullman.  When I think of WSU, I have visions of some squat, Max Borghi type RB catching swing passes, and careening off Duck defenders for improbable back-breaking first downs.  Aargh!

For the past couple weeks, we’ve been saying, “We’ll know more about our Ducks after this game.”  Then, the first Cougar to challenge us let us down by not having the fight in them we thought they’d have.  Instead of being content with our team’s decisive victory, we started questioning if BYU was up to the task while missing a couple receivers and D-Ends.  Perhaps a last second win in a highly contested event, against a game adversary, would have provided the confirmation we were looking for.

Now, we open door number two to find a 3-0 Cougar full of swagger and dreams of capturing the North at the expense of the talent-laden Ducks.  This opportunistic group makes up for their lack of 4* & 5* talent with relentless effort and with team buy-in to Dickert’s style of coaching.  They’re having fun right now and their cup certainly runneth over with confidence. 

I would suggest that the Ducks flex their muscle early and plant the seed in Mr. Ward’s head that he would have been better served staying at Incarnate Word.  Don’t let this kid get in a groove, and for crying-out-loud let’s continue the solid tackling.  On offense, please value the football.  I think the Cougars will need a couple possessions gifted to them to remain competitive in this game. 

I’m taking almost everything I have just written and I’m tossing it right out the window apart from my thoughts on Pullman being overrun with vampires (cuz THAT makes sense).  I just think this game is going to be closer than what it appears on paper.

…It’s Pullman. 

Curious to hear your takes.  Close game or not, and how curious are you to see how Our Beloved Ducks perform in a tight ball game? 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aaargh...Max Borghi seemed to play at WSU for a decade and always was a thorn in the Ducks' side. Kind of like Britain Covey at Utah. Both smart, underrated players.

I think you made an excellent case against your own argument with all the points about the Cougs. But it is Pullman, the Area 51 of college football games. Stay nervous, my friends.

I was expecting a close game last week and OBD surprised me (very pleasantly). I'm expecting a fairly close game again and hoping I'm surprised again. 

If this team continues to improve from week to week as much as they have in these first three games, it may not be close. No let down!

Hopefully our Ducks will hate hearing "and it's another Cougar first down..." as much as I do. It's worse than a chainsaw rev echoing in my head.

No Cougar first downs..... PLEASE!!! Just please!

Ducks are better  than most think. This won't be a close game. Ducks by 3 TD.  Lead by atleast 4 at some point. The outcome won't be challenged in the second half.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 5:04 PM, Log Haulin said:

Ducks are better  than most think. This won't be a close game. Ducks by 3 TD.  Lead by atleast 4 at some point. The outcome won't be challenged in the second half.

Well said.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/22/2022 at 8:04 PM, Log Haulin said:

Ducks are better  than most think. This won't be a close game.

Log Haulin & 30Duck, hope you guys are right.  I like nothing more than NOT sitting on the edge of my seat in the forth quarter. 

Actually, the "edge of my seat" saying doesn't apply to me.  If it's close, I'm standing, pacing, gesturing, and I even tie-in a little jumping.  It's basically aerobics with cursing.  

• Haha 1
  • Like 2

Jester, I really like your style of writing!

I certainly appreciate your writing style Jester, well done.  That being said, I think the Ducks have their feet under them now.  IMHO this game will not be close.  Ducks roll big time!!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Close?  I hope not.  I don't like close games when Oregon's involved.  They make me too nervous.  

This is what I kinda expect will happen Saturday:

WSU will set up to stop the run game forcing Nix to throw more.  They will test the O'line's ability to protect and Nix to make the tight throws.  I think at this point opponents probably feel Oregon's game is run 1st, pass 2nd, seek a balance.  If WSU can stop the run I think they hope to force Nix into making some turnovers.

The closest I'd like to see this game is 0-0 on the opening kick off.  After that, I'd really like to see Oregon pounce on top of Wazoo early and pound them like they did that other Cougars team last Saturday.  GO OREGON!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/22/2022 at 3:33 PM, Jester said:

The law of averages would suggest we’re due for an App. State style nail-biter, and Pullman is the perfect setting for this to take place. 

We've had four years of Cristobal unnecessary nail biters. Do those count towards our average and our due? 

I want to see a dominant performance and a kinda boring 4th quarter with a Ducks win. 

On 9/23/2022 at 2:13 AM, David Marsh said:

We've had four years of Cristobal unnecessary nail biters. Do those count towards our average and our due?

This is a brilliant observation, and an oversight on my part!  I'll take it, David.  

I think traveling to Georgia and playing those mutant athletes pays off tomorrow.  

IF BO plays controlled football, and uses his legs only when needed, we win comfortably.  

These young Men played in front of 100,000 SEC fans.  Pullman won’t bother them. 

PS.  Bo if you are reading these forums; please slide feet first.  

My family thinks we will be down 10 at half.  Then roll in second half and win. 

I saw a mental change in Bo Saturday. (No I am not a psychologist) but I did raise three teenage girls. 

Ducks by 20 in a “snoozer”

On 9/23/2022 at 8:42 AM, debbieduck said:

I think traveling to Georgia and playing those mutant athletes pays off tomorrow.

So, you’re seeing my weirdo Pullman vampires and you’re raising me GA mutant athletes.  I think you’re playing with a pretty strong hand.  Good points.

This may sound trivial but if Bo does decide to slide instead of playing 250lb. fullback, I hope he has practiced folding his legs and dropping his posterior in a manner that keeps him from being injured.  As silly as it sounds, some guys just don’t know how to slide safely. 

I used to cringe watching Trevor Lawrence try to slide.  It was like watching a tranquilized giraffe slowly tumbling to its knees. 

• Haha 2