Charles Fischer

OBD Prediction Contest vs. Washington State!

Hello My OBD FishDuck Forum Friends!

What is your prediction versus Washington State?  Take your shot and let's have fun with it...

Lets get these predictions started and remember I look for the spread with then the closest score that has the spread correct. I need all the data from you! 

Entries without all the information are invalid, and predictions on other threads don't count as I am not going to hunt them all down. I am no longer going to PM three or four people who don't read directions each week. 

Please follow directions, as I need all that is below for tiebreakers:
--the winner

--the score

--the amount of turnovers Oregon creates

--the number of sacks Oregon records on the opposing team

--the number of passing yards by the Ducks. 

My prediction is:  Oregon 37-24, 3, 4, 313

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon 

42-17

oregon

45-14

Ducks

41-27

Oregon, 41-26, 32, 267

I'm going with

The Ducks!

38-20

Go Ducks!

Ducks

34-24

315yds passing 

Oregon

45-38

Oregon 31 - 17

Oregon 48-27, 3,3,312

Oregon 44

WSU 20

Oregon

56- 14

Oregon

28-17

2 TO

3 Sacks

290 yds 

Ducks 44-24

2 TO

3 sacks

317 yards 

DUCKS     42-24

TO              2

SACKS      4

PASS YRD  286

Ducks 42 - 21

2 TO

1 sack

228 passing yds

Oregon

24-16

Oregon

31-14

Coug's at home start strong feeding off of the crowd with a lot of energy and excitement. Score is surprisingly close at halftime and Duck fans are a bit nervous. In the second half the Duck's superior talent and physicality takes over and wears down the over-matched Cougars.

49-35 Oregon, 2, 1, 349

Oregon wins

56-27

Go Ducks!

41-17,2,1,315

Oregon 34 - 27

1 TO

1 Sack

259 YDS Passing

I'm worried.

Not just this thread, but every thread here at OBD that has to do with this game the Duck confidence almost has a smugness to it.  That no matter what happens, in the end, our "overwhelming talent" will prevail. It almost has a "decided schematic advantage" feel to it.

Granted, after the first week's debacle there is reason for confidence. One thing you want to see in a team is week by week improvement. And we've certainly seen that.

I would definitely feel more comfortable predicting this game with a few more weeks of data on each team.

If one looks at the rise of the Ducks since about 1994, two teams consistently thwart Oregon's desire for national glory. The one not named Stanford will be our opponent this weekend. I was in the stands up in Pullman in '94. We left early because of the 11 hour trek home and the game had been decided.

Two things bother me about this game. Tomorrow, and historically:  Heart and over-achievement.

If I had a nickel for every time I've watched the Duck's heart be victorious over "overwhelming talent".........

The first two-thirds of our football glory years were built on the "over achievement" of our 3 star players. Both Brooks and Bellotti (and their coordinators) relied on the diamonds in the rough to reach greatness. Other programs (Fresno, Boise, etc.) openly emulated and succeeded with a similar blueprint. But WSU (much like little brother) has always considered themselves our equal while trying to mold the diamonds.

We've moved on to mining already shiny diamonds while WSU and OSU still survive on the 3 star potential diamonds.  This is what makes them so dangerous...............

But enough of the possible doom gloom.........Here's how I WANT the game to go...........No, scratch that.  I want 52-17 Ducks. But I don't think that would get me a win in this contest. So:

The winner:  Oregon  -At first I was troubled that no one had picked the Coogs. Even with a reasonable explanation of something like, "We're not ready to be great yet", or whatever. But then the other voice in my head who's not a douchebag said, "We want our team to win. Why would be pick the other team you idiot? This ain't Georgia." And then the first voice who's kind of a dumb guy said, "Oh yeah."

The Score:  43-38 -    43?............Hey, I'm pulling numbers out my hind end. Especially at this point of the season. It's like trying to pick Lotto.  As far as I know, weather won't be a factor (for once in Pullman), so anything's possible.  I just don't see a 17-14 D battle. Maybe 24-17.  But this doesn't feel like that to me.

Turnovers for Oregon:  3 -Two picks and their last-gasp onside kick.  Too specific?

Sacks by Oregon:  1 - This trend will be reversed later in the season. But not this weekend when the ball will be thrown quickly.

Passing yards by the Ducks:  Any chance I could go with a range here? Say 216-387? Seems like coach Dillingham might be best suited to answer this question............Ok, fine. No range. Then I'll go with 267. Very good, but not spectacular. Because it won't need to be. Our run game is going to run the Cougs right out of Martin, all the way off the palouse, pretty much to Moscow........you know, Idaho..........

Finally, back to 1994. After dutifully attending Friday classes, an 11-hour drive meant a very late arrival in Pullman.  The Motel 6 didn't have any rooms left but gave us the room that had been used by housekeeping and there was a pizza place still delivering. After seeing the rest of the town in the morning I was surprised that they actually managed to have a Motel 6 in such a nothing place.  So, in the end I made up a joke about Pullman and it's one of my all-time favorites. But nobody seems to love it as much as me.............

Some towns they call a cow town. And some towns they call a one-horse town.  Well, Pullman's not just a cow town. It's a one-cow town.............

This score came to me in a dream last night.

Oregon

17-14

• Haha 1

Ducks

38-35

3 TO's

2 Sacks

Ducks 41

Cougs 24

1 TO 

222 yards passing

DL shows no mercy.