FishDuck Article

Oregon vs WSU: How Oregon’s DBs Will Win the Day

What a WIN last week. I think we all had a collective sigh of relief when Our Beloved Ducks showed up so big against BYU. I hope you enjoyed the victory week riding high and are ready for another exciting weekend ahead. Now, it’s time to turn the page and gear up for a team that’s off to a 3-0 start in ...

FISHDUCK.COM

What a WIN last week. I think we all had a collective sigh of relief when Our Beloved Ducks showed up so big against BYU. I hope you...
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Alex for the topic and article.As the 2022 season unfolds in front of us, the points you make are right on the numbers. The same bullett points will keep coming up

● Can the D Backs cover 

● Can the front 7 get to the QB

● Will the D create any turnovers

● Will TT and JB be able to step

In if Bo were to be injured

For me, its still to early to have enough answers. I agree with you that we have seen solid and promising improvement by the Ducks on both sides of the ball. Very encouraging for us fans.

Against the Cougars, the D will get ample opportunies to force turnovers, bring pressure and get a few sacks. As long as Bo and the offense keep scoring at will then Ward will put that ball up over 40 times. He has had some reckless throws in his first 3 games. Time for the Ducks to make some big time plays.

I, like you appreciate Bo's aggressive running. He isnt running for his life. He is running with a purpose to make first downs or score TD's. Still the risk of injury is there. That means that after any given play either TT or JB will be running the offense.

The learning curve will cause some problems and turnovers. I believe, in the long run, that learning curve will be worth it.

Hope many Ducks step up and have their breakout game against the Cougars. GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 1

This is an outstanding analysis article Alex, and you have touched on what few have considered, and that is how the defensive backs could make or break us in this game.

I also love the observations about the tight ends in the red zone, and a defensive focus upon them could certainly open up other receivers.

The growth of this team since what we saw at Georgia is the biggest jump I think I’ve ever seen an Oregon team do in two weeks, ever. I am excited about the upside of this team, and this coaching staff!

Mr. FishDuck

The use of the TEs has been nice... but I'd like to see some endzone fades to Chapman-Thornton both 6'5' and Franklin 6'3".. even Kaper is 6'6"

It appears Dilly isn't a endzone fade to the big WRs type guy in the Redzone

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 1

It seems like Lanning is installing his defense piece by piece. I expect to see a couple new wrinkles this week designed to create a little more havoc in the passing game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great article, but Gonazalez would seem to be playing at the highest level of the DB's. We do need all the players performing at their highest level, but I would put Christian as our shut down corner.

Agree on Nix, and with QB's having shoulder pads which aren't made as protective as most players on the field it would seem the coaches may be counseling Bo to be a little more conservative with when and how he runs. I love the guys spirit, but judgement on runs needs to be rained in. The passing decisions last game were top notch.

On getting to the qb I look for a little more creativity with some blitz packages on third and long. We have the players who can quickly get at a qb, and my bet is we see some new wrinkles to get at the qb.

Our TE's use is exactly what I have been calling on for what seems like decades. The NFL uses TE's like we see Dilly doing. Get them in matchup nightmares and throw it to them. Kudos to Dilly and the staff for seeing our TE's as more than blocking dummies. If we do more of this our WR's will benefit too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/23/2022 at 8:03 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I, like you appreciate Bo's aggressive running. He isnt running for his life. He is running with a purpose to make first downs or score TD's. Still the risk of injury is there. That means that after any given play either TT or JB will be running the offense.

The learning curve will cause some problems and turnovers. I believe, in the long run, that learning curve will be worth it.

Hope many Ducks step up and have their breakout game against the Cougars. GO DUCKS!

Great point about running for their life. Many quarterbacks on both levels will run out of necessity, and while all-time great head coaches like Sean Payton may think they have the same risk of injury as a guy in the pocket, I think the "purposeful running" side of it is what makes him most effective.

Let's hope you're right about the learning curve.  I really want to see this offense get more balanced with the passing game, but like I said in the article, "feeding the hot hand" I'll never have a problem with.

I agree, this just feels like the breakout game for some of our emerging stars. I'm curious to see who will step up big time.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:34 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is an outstanding analysis article Alex, and you have touched on what few have considered, and that is how the defensive backs could make or break us in this game.

I also love the observations about the tight ends in the red zone, and a defensive focus upon them could certainly open up other receivers.

The growth of this team since what we saw at Georgia is the biggest jump I think I’ve ever seen an Oregon team do in two weeks, ever. I am excited about the upside of this team, and this coaching staff!

Thanks Charles!

Can't imagine the team looking any better than they have the last couple of weeks either. Really have enjoyed getting to watch Our Beloved Ducks perform at a high level again.

Maybe we see more from Franklin this weekend in the red zone with all that tight end emphasis for the Cougs' defense.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:44 AM, DazeNconfused said:

The use of the TEs has been nice... but I'd like to see some endzone fades to Chapman-Thornton both 6'5' and Franklin 6'3".. even Kaper is 6'6"

Would love to see the big bodies get more endzone targets as well. I don't want Dilly to have a reason to have to stop using the tight ends so much (if it ever stops working this season), but if it does, I think that's the perfect alternative set of playmakers to go to. Thornton has been on my radar the last eight games or so of Ducks football and I'd love to see him emerge.

I will never forget how completely unprepared Oregon was (especially on offense) when we last played a real game there in 2018. 

• First drive had a 7 yard loss, false start, and a delay of game.
  • 3 and out on first three drives for -3 yards (and 1 def PI penalty).
  • Total first half was 18 plays for 35 yards. 
  •  

Here's hoping for a much better start.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Get play-by-play updates on the Oregon Ducks vs. Washington State Cougars football game.

Edited by mikethehiker

On 9/23/2022 at 8:44 AM, DazeNconfused said:

That's ok

Neither am I 

Along with Manning and Bridges on the back end, I would throw a little love toward Bennett Williams and Christian Gonzalez.  Williams’ form tackling and physicality was a pleasant surprise vs. Blue Coug, and really, why do you guys want to throw at Gonzalez?  You get a sense that he’s really starting to get locked-in.  In general, this group has really picked it up. 

As for the TE’s – Ferguson is proving to be just a monster.  As a fan, when the ball is in the air you quickly inhale with the anticipation of a catch.  With Ferguson, you inhale after the catch because that’s when the fun starts.

I think the D-Line is starting to find its footing.  They’re not putting the QB on the ground, but I really like how they are playing against the run.  If you want to shrink an O-coordinators playbook sans a ray gun – stop the run.  Sacks and pressures will come when making offenses one-dimensional.  I’ll take DJ this week as a line of scrimmage difference-maker, but the leader of that group is Brandon Dorlus.   

Alex, I have no issue with Nix running either.  It’s part of his DNA and asking him to minimize those instincts is simply handicapping his overall effectiveness.  Nix has a great quality that’s not spoken of that often, and I would imagine it’s a quality that all successful athletes and great leaders have, and it’s the ability to forget.  He can toss an inexcusable pick, park his carcass on the bench, and within two minutes tighten the chinstrap and reload without fear of failure.  He owns it and moves on. 

As Bo is stacking solid performances, we’re seeing that it’s not just playing experience and an understanding of a playbook that is separating him from Ty & Butters.  It’s his leadership ability.  Tell ya what, other teams better put a stop to it soon because this type of thing rapidly gathers momentum and can be very infectious. 

Go Ducks.     

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/23/2022 at 11:43 AM, Jester said:

Along with Manning and Bridges on the back end, I would throw a little love toward Bennett Williams and Christian Gonzalez.  Williams’ form tackling and physicality was a pleasant surprise vs. Blue Coug, and really, why do you guys want to throw at Gonzalez?  You get a sense that he’s really starting to get locked-in.  In general, this group has really picked it up. 

As for the TE’s – Ferguson is proving to be just a monster.  As a fan, when the ball is in the air you quickly inhale with the anticipation of a catch.  With Ferguson, you inhale after the catch because that’s when the fun starts.

I think the D-Line is starting to find its footing.  They’re not putting the QB on the ground, but I really like how they are playing against the run.  If you want to shrink an O-coordinators playbook sans a ray gun – stop the run.  Sacks and pressures will come when making offenses one-dimensional.  I’ll take DJ this week as a line of scrimmage difference-maker, but the leader of that group is Brandon Dorlus.   

Alex, I have no issue with Nix running either.  It’s part of his DNA and asking him to minimize those instincts is simply handicapping his overall effectiveness.  Nix has a great quality that’s not spoken of that often, and I would imagine it’s a quality that all successful athletes and great leaders have, and it’s the ability to forget.  He can toss an inexcusable pick, park his carcass on the bench, and within two minutes tighten the chinstrap and reload without fear of failure.  He owns it and moves on. 

As Bo is stacking solid performances, we’re seeing that it’s not just playing experience and an understanding of a playbook that is separating him from Ty & Butters.  It’s his leadership ability.  Tell ya what, other teams better put a stop to it soon because this type of thing rapidly gathers momentum and can be very infectious. 

Go Ducks.

Jester, your thoughts exactly match the ones bouncing around in my head. Glad there is someone who can put it into written form!

I am going to defend Bridges a little.  Dude has made some big plays. He was responsible for the third down play that set up the missed FG v. BYU. I think he has an INT also.

He gets targeted, sure. But look at his counterpart, Gonzalez is lockdown. I am more critical of Gonzalez on those 2 pass breakups. He looked in position to pick both with ease.

TB will not be the same player back half of the season he was last week. The development of these players over 3 weeks has been impressive.

IMO, both boundaries will be locked by season end.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bridges seemed to get burned on the first play of the game. Then he slipped. Looked bad as the BYU receiver could have scored a TD on play one.

But NO!

Bridges recovers and makes the tackle. That recovery was outstanding.

Win, lose, or draw I'm very excited to watch this team grow.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/23/2022 at 11:44 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Throwing the fade takes a certain type of QB, and a coach who believes the play can be successfully run a high percentage of attempts.

The coach must be confident the play will not end in an interception. My guess is that the Ducks are not there yet.