Jemangi

Pac 12 Refs

If possible, I'd like to see Oregon go to the Big if only to avoid the Pac 12 Refs.

It is truly hard to understand how they become a laughing stop year after year.

Do we not pay them, just what seems to be the issue?

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems like we always have officiating issues! Takes the fun out of the game.

Officials In Oregon-Washington State Game Getting Crushed Over Controversial Decision

THESPUN.COM

Pac-12 officials have reached a new all-time low in this Saturday afternoon's Oregon vs. Washington State game.  In the second...

• Applause 2

Kevin Mar was the dude who almost screwed the Ducks in the WSU game in 2019. Thankfully, he left for the Big 12.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Is the Pac-12 selectively transparent?

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

I knew they screwed up the moment it happened and couldn’t believe they were able to rewind an entire possession. 

What I don’t get and nobody has explained is why did they go back to 3rd and 17? The mistake was made going from 1st to 2nd down. Why didn’t they go back to the actual mistake and make it 2nd down? Can anyone explain this?

• Thumbs Up 3

They are the WORST

1) SATAN

2) FUSKIES 

3) LARRY SCOTT 

4) PAC12 Refs 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 6:14 PM, Jemangi said:

If possible, I'd like to see Oregon go to the Big if only to avoid the Pac 12 Refs.

It is truly hard to understand how they become a laughing stop year after year.

Do we not pay them, just what seems to be the issue?

This screw up was definitely another Pac-12 referee situation for the ages.

Edited by Desert Duck

I've heard almost every fan feels their conference refs are horrible.

I think the most egregious action was when Pac-12 called into a game from headquarters , "the center", to influence a referee decision regarding targeting. 

It involved Leach and WSU. 

WWW.COUGCENTER.COM

Officiating is about perception, and the Pac-12 continues to bungle its handling of a game that happened a month ago.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:38 PM, nw777b said:

I've heard almost every fan feels their conference refs are horrible.

I think the most egregious action was when Pac-12 called into a game from headquarters , "the center", to influence a referee decision regarding targeting. 

It involved Leach and WSU. 

WWW.COUGCENTER.COM

Officiating is about perception, and the Pac-12 continues to bungle its handling of a game that happened a month ago.

I'm almost forgot about that beyond horrendous situation. It really is stunning why the Pac-12 referee situation has been allowed to be so bad for so long.

No idea why this has not been fixed.

I thought the Fox crew did a good job explaining what happened.  They didn't go to 2nd down, because they did run the ball.  Would they have ran it on 2nd down if they knew it was 2nd down.  Probably not, but it was an actual offensive play and not a punt.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Referee: "What's up?"

Replay booth: "Uh, hate to say this but second down was actually first down. We have to replay third down."

Referee: "Is that so? Yeeeeeah, we aren't doing that."

That's how the NFL handles it, I'm pretty sure. 😀

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2022 at 8:55 PM, Tandaian said:

I thought the Fox crew did a good job explaining what happened.  They didn't go to 2nd down, because they did run the ball.  Would they have ran it on 2nd down if they knew it was 2nd down.  Probably not, but it was an actual offensive play and not a punt.  

Thank you, I still don’t get it. Why does running the ball on 2nd down after the mistake matter? They could have went back to 2nd, 3rd, or 4th down and they picked 3rd down which is one down past the mistake. 

It worked out in Oregon’s favor, but my OCD can’t get past this. 

Edited by mikethehiker

On 9/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, mikethehiker said:

It worked out in Oregon’s favor, but my OCD can’t get past this. 

I'll bet Mike Leach is texting the Pac-12 with the same question right now from Mississippi. It's insanity. 

And the second versions of 3rd and 4th downs were virtually repeats of the first versions. 

Can you imagine watching the game while the audio is muted, running to the restroom after the first 4th down punt, coming back to the TV, only to see it play out again?

• Haha 2

From the FishDuck Feed, the following is the PAC-12 Conference's response to the officiating mess in yesterday's game.

Pac-12 acknowledges mistake made in Oregon-Washington State game, confirms proper protocols followed to correct error

PAC-12.COM

SAN FRANCISCO – The Pac-12 Conference acknowledges that a mistake was made with the down indicator during the first half of the Oregon at Washington State game on Saturday, September...

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait until basketball season when PAC-12 officiating makes 40 minute games last 2.5 hours and kills all game flow.

#deargodpleaseswallowyourwhistle

• Yikes! 1

The funny thing is that Oregon actually came out of the redo better than the first time around. 

Hutson caught the punt with a fair catch at the 5 on the first punt then after the redo the punt was caught at the 10. 

But still.... Something that should have been fixed after one down not two. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2022 at 2:02 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

From the FishDuck Feed, the following is the PAC-12 Conference's response to the officiating mess in yesterday's game.

Pac-12 acknowledges mistake made in Oregon-Washington State game, confirms proper protocols followed to correct error

PAC-12.COM

SAN FRANCISCO – The Pac-12 Conference acknowledges that a mistake was made with the down indicator during the first half of the Oregon at Washington State game on Saturday, September...

Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately, this still doesn’t explain why 3rd down was the correct down to come back to. If the goal was to give WSU one more play, why not just give them another 4th down?

How can these officials say it was corrected if WSU never got their 2nd down situation and play call? Did they still get it wrong after a 24 hour review? If all they did was replay the exact two plays, then nothing changed and nothing was “corrected”. 

I really desire to fully understand the game and this just doesn’t compute. 

One thing I remember from the Georgia game, is that to my eye the officiating was way superior to what I'm used to seeing out here on the west coast.  They were fair, efficient and timely - no 20 minute drawn out reviews.

I would like to see Pac 12 officiating look like that.

Go Ducks!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/25/2022 at 4:47 PM, mikethehiker said:

Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately, this still doesn’t explain why 3rd down was the correct down to come back to. If the goal was to give WSU one more play, why not just give them another 4th down?

How can these officials say it was corrected if WSU never got their 2nd down situation and play call? Did they still get it wrong after a 24 hour review? If all they did was replay the exact two plays, then nothing changed and nothing was “corrected”. 

I really desire to fully understand the game and this just doesn’t compute. 

It will never make sense. 

WSU coach Dickert said he brought this up at the time.  You could see the conversation during the broadcast.

Here is what should have happened.

WSU should have been able to challenge the down number by having it reviewed. 

It would not have taken the replay official much time to go back and look at the series to determine they missed a down before allowing the officials to jump to third down.

If the coach doesn't want to challenge, then nothing should be done. They play on.

Going back 2 or more plays, though, has disaster written all over it, in my opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 2

WSU did get their normal 4 downs.

1st Down:  Intentional grounding.

2nd Down:  Rush for 1 yard gain.

3rd Down:  Rush for 6 yard gain.

4th Down:  Punt

Would WSU have ran it on 2nd down if they would have known it was 2nd down, likely not.  However, it was an actual offensive play, so it had to count as a play.  That is why they gave the ball back and made it 3rd down.

Watching the BEAVs playing U$C ( in my house the University of Spoiled Children) I was perturbed when I witnessed the Refs choke on their whistles when a $C OT hold then finally tackle the BEAV edge rush, deep in SC territory, right in front of them… it turned into a first down and probably changed the course of the game…

seems liked the fix was in…  a U$C victory…

So I only ask the PAC-12 leadership consider sending all the worst of the deplorable bad Refs to only work the U$C and UCLA games and make all calls against them… 

Additionally, would like to see PAC-12 leadership CANCEL all scheduled 2023 league games for U$C and UCLA so they would be ineligible for Bowl games…

who cares what $C thinks… they are leaving anyway.

• Go Ducks! 2