McDuck

Who Else was Wrong About Chase Cota?

Being on record stating Oregon could make better use of the transfer portal than Mr. Cota I must offer up a mea culpa.  Seven big receptions today for 84 yards.  Not flashy but quietly efficient.  I'm glad he is a Duck!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am very grateful that Cota wanted to return, Dilly and Coach Adams wanted him, and that I was completely wrong.  We fans at times...

Dont'e Thornton, Chase Cota give Oregon Ducks options at Z receiver -  oregonlive.com

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

He reminds me a bit of Jeff Maehl...not super flashy but he finds a way to be where he needs to be and he has good hands.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Time and time again I watched Cota make difficult catches while he played for UCLA, and I was thrilled when he decided to come to Oregon. Jeff Maehl is a great comparison. Both guys have great hands and find ways to make tough receptions in traffic. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/24/2022 at 6:54 PM, McDuck said:

Being on record stating Oregon could make better use of the transfer portal than Mr. Cota I must offer up a mea culpa.  Seven big receptions today for 84 yards.  Not flashy but quietly efficient.  I'm glad he is a Duck!

I had no idea that people were down in the Chase Cota acquisition until I read your comment.

I have no idea why people would have been down on Cota. He is a fine and excellent receiver. Why did people had/have a negative opinion of him?

I initially thought "big whup"

Much like others

Then I saw him in the Spring Game...

He's Jeff Maehl 2.0 

On 9/24/2022 at 8:20 PM, shawnski said:

I initially thought "big whup"

Much like others

Then I saw him in the Spring Game...

He's Jeff Maehl 2.0 

I guess people didn't follow this kid at all while he had a wonderful career at UCLA, or looked at his stats.

Edited by Desert Duck

I think more than a few Duck fans were miffed that CC chose UCLA over THE O. 

I is what it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ahhh... That sheds a little light on my question. Thank you.

I was just beyond happy to have such a fine, solid, experienced, and smart receiver joining our receiving corps.

And I thought that although he took the long route to get home, he finally did make it here.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:22 PM, Desert Duck said:

I guess people didn't follow this kid at all while he had a wonderful career at UCLA, or looked at his stats.

Chase did not have a wonderful career at UCLA. He was rarely targeted and was frustrated. Chip promised more targets, to keep him, and when that didn’t happen Chase entered the portal. He has proved to be solid, reliable receiver, and an important part of the offense. And, of course, we all wish he had come to Eugene in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2022 at 3:13 AM, DUCKED said:

Chase did not have a wonderful career at UCLA. He was rarely targeted and was frustrated. Chip promised more targets, to keep him, and when that didn’t happen Chase entered the portal. He has proved to be solid, reliable receiver, and an important part of the offense. And, of course, we all wish he had come to Eugene in the first place.

His performance was underwhelming at UCLA. However, his stats wouldn’t have been much better at Oregon because of MC’s offense. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I too admit I was way wrong on what he can bring to the field.

• Thumbs Up 1

Once again, Dan and staff were, are right. It is nice to see a staff prove the fans wrong, very nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cota will add on quite a few more yards this year...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is in his genes.  He is a Legacy.  His dad, cousin and now him.  I am happy he is a part of the Ducks family.  He has brought that maturity and skills to the team.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was one of the very disappointed Duck fans when he chose to go elsewhere out of high school. Hind sight being what it is, had he come here originally, he probably would have been in the portal anyway - only leaving us to go somewhere else (you know, that whole Mari no Offense thing...). 

I'm glad he came back home, I feel like the timing is just right, and I'm glad he's turning into such an asset.

Go Ducks!!