Pennsylvania Duck

The Culture of the Team is Changing...We Can See the Growth Mindset

With every game, I am noticing awesome positive changes with our team. The young team has bought in to

Lanning's growth mindset and teachings. 

It was so refreshing to see the "grit" of the team last night and play for all 4 quarters until the end.

It is not only the difference in mindset of the players, but the mindset of the coaches during the game.

Everyone appears on the same page, with the mindset to WIN the game.

I don't believe we would've won this game the past few years under MC. It is a refreshing change indeed.

From the FishDuck Feed yesterday, Andrew Nemec posted 2 great tweets for us to ponder:

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The back end (and middle) certainly needs some growth. Oregon's passing defense is ranked an abysmal 125th at the moment.

What's worse is we haven't even played the best passing team yet. (Eewdub is currently ranked 1st nationally 🤮)

In fact, there are 3 games upcoming with teams ranked 30th or better in the passing attack. I know it's fluid, but they all should remain a threat. 

Oregon will need significant gains in defending the pass to remain in contention for the Pac12 Championship. 

One plus is our run defense. It looks pretty good. But being one dimensional on defense is bad. 

Also, what happened to tackling?

Grow Ducks! 🦆

On 9/25/2022 at 10:25 AM, Krsmqn said:

The back end (and middle) certainly needs some growth. Oregon's passing defense is ranked an abysmal 125th at the moment.

What's worse is we haven't even played the best passing team yet. (Eewdub is currently ranked 1st nationally 🤮)

In fact, there are 3 games upcoming with teams ranked 30th or better in the passing attack. I know it's fluid, but they all should remain a threat. 

Oregon will need significant gains in defending the pass to remain in contention for the Pac12 Championship. 

One plus is our run defense. It looks pretty good. But being one dimensional on defense is bad. 

Also, what happened to tackling?

Grow Ducks! 🦆

Agreed that the team needs improvement is areas. It was not a perfect win and things to work on this week.

However, they certainly have shown improvement each week.

Growth mindset is growing to gain improvement, getting 1% better each practice/game. I definitely think the team

has bought into this idea.

We as fans have to be patient with this young team. By game 10 we should see vast improvements in the areas 

mentioned above. 

Be happy for every W as we go along this growth journey.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just saw this tweet from Drew Mehringer that fits in with our conversation...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2022 at 8:25 AM, Krsmqn said:

Stats are kind of a funny thing, is the run defense that good or is it that no one bothers running the ball because the past defense is that bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

I completely agree, as you can see and feel the commitment to learning, to growing.  THAT is how we can turn into a conference champion over the course of the season, and it is so refreshing to see!

We don't need to get more physical, we need to grow!

Celebration 1_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

It's a Team game.

Right now they are playing like it. One part is down, the others pick it up.

They will grow together. 

Won't always win, but watching them approach their best is awesome to see.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I'm rooting for a conference championship and possible playoff run but this is becoming a team I can get behind win or lose.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 3

On 9/25/2022 at 7:25 AM, Krsmqn said:

They haven't played anyone but what looks like a bad Michigan State team. MSU was demolished by Minnesota yesterday 34-7. 

That "ranked win" the Huskies is losing its shine by the day and fast. Still an important win for the conference. 

On 9/25/2022 at 9:11 AM, Dave23 said:

Stats are kind of a funny thing, is the run defense that good or is it that no one bothers running the ball because the past defense is that bad.

I guess by that point, you'd have to simply assess by looking at average yards given up. Oregon is at 3.39 yards per rush attempt (102 attempts). That's good for 44th in the nation. 

On the other hand, pass defense is giving up 8.1 yards per attempt (149 attempts) , which is good (or bad) for 109th in the nation. 

Either way, it's quite obvious watching the games that the run defense is superior to the pass defense. 

Edited by Krsmqn
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2022 at 11:53 AM, David Marsh said:

They haven't played anyone but what looks like a bad Michigan State team. MSU was demolished by Minnesota yesterday 34-7. 

That "ranked win" the Huskies is losing its shine by the day and fast. Still an important win for the conference. 

Who has WSU played besides a seemingly "bad" Wisconsin team, who was crushed by tOSU yesterday? ... Yet they still put up 375 passing yards on us. 

My point isn't to cherry pick stats, or compare this team to that. It's simply that Oregon obviously needs improvement in their pass defense, and that their rush defense is superior. 

Edited by Krsmqn
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Win or Lose,  with honor"

Grow and move forward, one rep at a time,

As.A.Team.

What a concept!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:39 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

By game 10 we should see vast improvements in the areas 

mentioned above. 

You mean 9 - 0 UW vs 8 - 1 UO at Autzen?  😉

On 9/25/2022 at 8:45 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

You mean 9 - 0 UW vs 8 - 1 UO at Autzen?  😉

Coach Lanning will have them more than ready for the Huskies by then! Just you wait and see. GO DUCKS!

• Cool 1