Charles Fischer

Is Oregon STILL a Conference Champion Contender to You?

This is that time of year when I often come to the realization that Our Beloved Ducks are not quite as good as I hoped. Right now I am pleased with the growth of the offense, and frankly, pretty surprised at the weakness on defense. At this point to me...we look like a good team, but we are not a great team.

Could we be a great team? Absolutely, but not without more growth on defense across the board. The other element is the development of other teams in the conference, and I will admit to being impressed with the coaching taking place at a number of locations.  We have some tough games coming up in-conference.

We are not a NC contender, IMHO, although with vast defensive improvement....could we make the Playoffs?  Right now my goal is to improve to be a legit top-10 team, and that would be a pretty good accomplishment for Lanning's first year.

If we don't get better on defense...we could lose three more games.  Will we improve?  What are your thoughts about where this team is at right now?

PreGame Huddle_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

WSU is a tough team... Since Leach took the job WSU has been difficult to prepare for week to week because of their air raid offense being so different from the rest of the conference. I know it is now the "coug raid" but it is still very air raidy and difficult to defend. 

So I'm happy Oregon got a win yesterday.

I think the major key to how high this year's team ceiling is all comes to week to week growth from players and coaches. 

Road games are hard on a new coaching staff so they got a win on this one but they will have to travel again and they need to get more wins in the road. 

I don't think Oregon would have gotten out of Pallouse with a win last week in truth. They have growth from the team that beat BYU. And next week they will have to play Stanford and show growth again. 

If they keep growing I think a conference championship is completely possible. 

I also think WSU is going to be in the hunt for a conference championship, especially with the new format. 

USC looks like a pretender their offensive line is garbage and it is only a matter of time until it is exposed for what it is... Utah and UCLA and even WSU are going to be a nightmare for USC to deal with. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Charles, pretty much in agreement that Oregon can be a top 10 team at season end with a victory in a big time (Rose) bowl game to top it off. I don't really see them in the CFP unless they run the table convincingly with a defense that has improved significantly from where they are post-Wazzu. Unfortunately I see tOSU, GA, Alabama and Clemson in the CFP again, ho hum.

I think specific goals will make for a satisfying season:

1. Beat Stanford next week without letdown after yesterday's coronary spasm inducing win. Finally extinguish the ghosts of Zach Ertz's bad call TD and CJ's fumble from Autzen.

2. Win the away games they are supposed to win convincingly: Arizona, Colorado and Cal. Their fan bases are nowhere near what WSU brought to the table so these three games should be less formidable. 

3. Much as I hate to say it, UW is a much improved team and beating them, even at home, will be a challenge. Ditto for Utah, with that revenge factor thrown in. Mid-late November will be a real gauntlet for the Ducks and victories in those two games, followed by beating a very dangerous Beaver team at Reser, will define success for 2022.

4. If Oregon gets that far, knocking off a now exposed U$C (oh please, please!) in Vegas and a trip to the Rose Bowl would make for a great 1st season under Lanning. Then finishing with a win over Michigan or Penn State would be the cherry on top with a top 10 ranking assured.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

If BO is allowed to play his game we will win out.  

USC looked very average to me yesterday.  

We can beat Utah deep all day long.  

Maybe I am to optimistic but I think our strength is offense.  And I think it can be unstoppable.  

Way to much talent to not be playing at a higher level defensively.

But I am confused about my Ducks right now, so I’m just doing a lot of guessing. 

Edited by debbieduck
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Love the O such an improvement over the past 4 years but Dilly is still learning. As much as I wanted TDs in the red zone the field goals kept the the ducks in the game,  Lewis is looking good this year!

The D is very susceptible to the pass not sure what needs to change personnel scheme or both. I've been hard on Bridges good to see him fight for the INT, William seems to be all over the place and Addison stepped up a little this game not sure where Steven is. My preference for DB would be Gonzalez and Manning at CB, Williams at nickel, Bridges and Addison at safety. 

After watching the USC game and seeing Gentry (a 6'6 skinny at LB) be very disruptive on passing downs maybe Bridges and Bassa at LB on third and long? Let's get creative on D. Really love Bridges intensity, tackling and effort and think he could be a really great piece of our defense just seems like he's a little out of place.

Edited by Dave23
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

At 1-0 in conference the Ducks are a contender for the league title.

This team is a work in progress. It has shown inconsistencies between greatness and poor play. The team has capable, if not great, athletes in most positions. The secondary can leak like a sieve.

The 2022 Ducks are exciting, but sometimes frustrating to watch. With a coaching staff of teachers and encouragers anything is possible including the Pac12 championship.

Go Ducks.

Oregon's schedule looks to be in Ducks favor. Toughest road game is in Corvallis and the Beavs are playing tough right now.

Tree, UCLA, Fusky, and Utes are all at home. The last three games on the schedule are going to test this young team and staff.

The Pac is looking to be a good, tough conference this year. Get through the gauntlet and you have a shot at playoff.

Whoever emerges from the Pac, if they get the nod from CFP, will have the experience and adversity of conference play to lean on.

Pac 12 might be the toughest conference to survive right now. IMO there are 6 legit top 25 teams in the Pac.

I think whatever team gets in will be competitive and just maybe... 

• Go Ducks! 1

Oregon's schedule sets them up for a great run this season. Only glitch is they have to play Ost in Cornvally. Beavs are always tough and they look like they're playing at another level this year. 

With Stanford and AZ next it will give the Ducks a couple games to grow before the UCLA game at home.

Coming from behind and getting a win yesterday showed what this team can do. They will only get better each game. 

CFP? Highly doubtful. P12 champ game? It's absolutely doable. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2022 at 8:48 AM, debbieduck said:

But I am confused about my Ducks right now, so I’m just doing a lot of guessing. 

Amen, as we all are.  I am pleased and perplexed...  Wrong more often than I'm right...very hard to predict!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Watched a lot of football yesterday and Oregon can definitely still win the conference - even though the defense has some work to do.  Got the road win in a really tough place, so the Ducks are still in the drivers seat based on the rest of the schedule and can afford to drop a game and make it to Vegas.

I think this looks like a typical year where there is enough parity near the top that teams beat each other up and all end up with one or more conference loss.  Utah, Oregon and usc all have flaws that can and probably will be exposed and lead to a loss, so it could depend on where those come and tiebreakers at the end.

The Beavs and Cougs are going to get some wins (one of them will probably beat Utah) and muddy it up.  

Still not a believer in the fuskies but they are definitely better and could be in the mix because of their easy schedule.   Bruins aren’t even worth a mention in my opinion - still pretenders.  

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ducks just found a way to win the toughest test on their schedule until the fuskies come to town. If they can just continue playing at this level, they should get there at 8-1. WSU should have been and still should be ranked. Regardless of what the polls say, they basically just pulled off a come from behind victory on the road against a top 25 caliber team. If WSU played #25 Miami, who would you bet on?

If the Ducks continue improving on D they should be ready to compete in their final three games which are the toughest ones on the schedule. I think the way the offense, defense and coaches all had to dig deep to pull off this victory will go a long way towards building a conference champion mentality.

• Thumbs Up 2

Two teams will be in the conference championship, at this early stage in the season I''d say Utah will be one of them and the Ducks look as likely as any of the rest to take the second spot. How sweet it would be to turn the table on the Utes and beat them twice this year! This team showed a ton of grit and heart to pull out that win yesterday. As long as Nix stays healthy I like our chances.

• Go Ducks! 1

Yes without a doubt. Should be favored to win every game up until and probably the UW game too. Just need to avoid stupid penalties and Pick 6s.  

The offense is really really good.  Yesterday we had the most yards by an Oregon team since 2017 and put up 29 points in the 4th quarter against a decent defense. 

We are running new schemes on both sides of the ball and I think this team will continue to improve.  I still see confusion on defense.  At half yesterday I checked and I think Sewell only had 6 tackles on the season?  

Guys are still thinking and not playing free, but that will continue to improve each week. 

It is scary to think how good the offense can be if they clean a few things up and convert in the redzone. 

I fully expect that the defense will continue to improve and I believe we have a legit shot to win the conference. 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/25/2022 at 12:13 PM, GeotechDuck said:

The offense is really really good.  Yesterday we had the most yards by an Oregon team since 2017 and put up 29 points in the 4th quarter against a decent defense. 

Since 2017= Before Mario.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Almost word for word how I feel.

I like the growth we are seeing, mainly in the coaches.

The players are adjusting to the new schemes and with two league cupcakes (Stanford at home, AZ road) in a row coming up and then a bye, followed by 3 more fairly easy doable contests (UCLA at home, Cal and CU road) sets things up nicely for the Huskies & Utes at home.  Beavs D scares me a bit, but not Nolan.

So, heck yes Pac 12 Champs and a Rose Bowl W in our future THIS year. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

IMHO, Ward and Wazzu played 3.5 quarters of unbelievable offense, abetted by unfamiliarity, a wide open playbook, unbelievable luck to escape losses (Ward's pitch over a defender is a disaster 99% of the time), dumb penalties on our part, crappy officiating, and home field mojo.

In Autzen that score is much different.  Though the officiating crappiness would still be there.

Oregon took Wazzu's best shot and then some.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/25/2022 at 8:11 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is that time of year when I often come to the realization that Our Beloved Ducks are not quite as good as I hoped. Right now I am pleased with the growth of the offense, and frankly, pretty surprised at the weakness on defense. At this point to me...we look like a good team, but we are not a great team.

Could we be a great team? Absolutely, but not without more growth on defense across the board. The other element is the development of other teams in the conference, and I will admit to being impressed with the coaching taking place at a number of locations.  We have some tough games coming up in-conference.

We are not a NC contender, IMHO, although with vast defensive improvement....could we make the Playoffs?  Right now my goal is to improve to be a legit top-10 team, and that would be a pretty good accomplishment for Lanning's first year.

If we don't get better on defense...we could lose three more games.  Will we improve?  What are your thoughts about where this team is at right now?

PreGame Huddle_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

My thoughts are the uniforms look good lol

Not disagreeing with the other contributors to the thread, but some things concern me: 

1. The puzzling ineptitude in the red zone in the first half. Some credit is due to the Cougars, of course, but the playcalling did not seem inspired. Moving the ball between the twenties accumulates pretty statistics, but does not with games unless the drives are completed with TDs. It appeared to me that Oregon's OC was outcoached by WSU's DC in the first half. 

2. The disappointing lack of discipline on the part of experienced players that nearly lost the Ducks the game.

3. The often porous pass defense. This could be serious issue against teams like Washington, OSU, Arizona, Utah and USC if the Ducks eventually face them. 

Soooo many unknowns top to bottom, coaches to players alike.

This is a brand new Oregon Football program, one built on some solid successful recent history, some above average recent recent recruiting and a new young staff growing themselves into their newer greater responsibilities with a young team only partially of their own making.  

This team looks to be growing almost immeasurably week to week. They have heart. They have size and some speed. They don't get down and play hard. 

However I try to remember, optimistic homer that I am, that this Duck team is still filled with underclassmen. This team is still young and growing and learning and still getting stronger.

Each side of the ball is running a different scheme from before and there’s no shortage of transfers in the starting mix. cohesion can take time.   

This team isn’t finding its identity as much as creating it week to week. 

Georgia set the standard in every facet and since that lesson the team has rebounded. 

Oregon has improved in some way every week. Growth mindset? 

This week was the type of game that likely made the team believe in each other even more. Seeing Noah and Bo celebrate together was a glorious thing. Cohesion. Leadership. 

I can’t predict the future but there are so many positives to take from what’s going on at Oregon Football, that with the schedule ahead, this team might just be able to be playing it’s best ball come late fall and be set up to make some noise. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Answering the original question:

Uhhh... yeah, because:  1) Oregon is 1-0 at this point, and 2) They have a mostly favorable schedule going forward.  Can they beat Utah (at home) and the Beavers (away)?  

They'll likely have to win both to win the North.  I really can't say at this point whether or not they can but maybe by the time those two games come up (assuming no unexpected losses/injures) I'll feel more confident in making the prediction.  Still too early, imo.

Edited by Mic

It’s pretty clear to me that they can beat anyone in the pack if the ball bounces their way. 

So the answer is yes.

I keep thinking our defense should be way better than it is however. Still time to straighten that out.

On 9/25/2022 at 4:52 PM, Just Ducky said:

It’s pretty clear to me that they can beat anyone in the pack if the ball bounces their way. 

So the answer is yes.

I keep thinking our defense should be way better than it is however. Still time to straighten that out.

And Bo Nix (God love him) has got (!) to stop throwing those cheap, silly picks.  It was 1st and goal - that was a 14 point swing.  I love him as O's QB, but ... that needs to get ironed out too.

• Let’s hope! 1

Based on what I have seen so far --minus my bias for the Ducks 😍--Oregon is the most complete team now in the PAC. Pass defense HAS to improve and I feel confident that it will. The EYE test tells me that Bo is a better QB than Williams at this point in time. Oregon's O line is by far the best in the PAC and what a complete stable of RBs we have. We are not hurting for receivers either. And the WE DID NOT GIVE UP attitude in Pullman gives me great confidence that we haven't begun to see our Ducks at their best.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/25/2022 at 5:00 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Based on what I have seen so far --minus my bias for the Ducks 😍--Oregon is the most complete team now in the PAC. Pass defense HAS to improve and I feel confident that it will. The EYE test tells me that Bo is a better QB than Williams at this point in time. Oregon's O line is by far the best in the PAC and what a complete stable of RBs we have. We are not hurting for receivers either. And the WE DID NOT GIVE UP attitude in Pullman gives me great confidence that we haven't begun to see our Ducks at their best.

Right now, Utah is the most complete.  Oregon is the most talented.

If Oregon acquires killer instinct? Oooooooh.

• Applause 1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:11 AM, Charles Fischer said:

pretty surprised at the weakness on defense

It feels like in the last few years, we looked to our big time players to make plays on Defense.  Now it feels like they're learning how to play Team Defense.  If everyone follows the "Do Your Job" mentality, this D should be right as rain by Bowl Season.

On 9/25/2022 at 10:45 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

4. If Oregon gets that far, knocking off a now exposed U$C (oh please, please!) in Vegas and a trip to the Rose Bowl would make for a great 1st season under Lanning. Then finishing with a win over Michigan or Penn State would be the cherry on top with a top 10 ranking assured.

If Oregon gets to here, they're 12-1.  They will be in the 3 - 5 range, and playoff bound.

On 9/25/2022 at 7:46 PM, Mike West said:

Right now, Utah is the most complete.  Oregon is the most talented.

How do you define "most complete" ?

On 9/25/2022 at 9:05 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

If WSU played #25 Miami, who would you bet on?

WSU. No doubt about it. Especially if at Pullman. 

Edited by lownslowav8r