NJDuck

It's About Time That we had a New Conversation About Oregon QB Bo Nix

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Bo Nix has been far and away better than expectations at Oregon. It’s time that fans start giving him the credit he deserves.

I have been pleasantly surprised and happy with Bo Nix performance so far.  Yes, there was a pick six and some struggles in the red zone in the WSU game.  But He was outstanding in this game orchestrating a brilliant come from behind win.

His stats so far in 4 games:

1,100 yards passing

10 TDs

3 INTs

71.9% completion percentage

120 yards rushing and 3TDs

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yes, and yesterday’s interception was tipped. I love watching Nix throw the ball away. He is the main reason the offense is light years ahead of the defense. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:30 AM, lownslowav8r said:

I love watching Nix throw the ball away.

A big change there, and perhaps it is more confidence in his offense at Oregon?  At Auburn...when he had any chance...he had to take it?  

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am a man of few words and concise thoughts. Yesterday in a fit of disappointment I simply posted "BO PIX". This morning after reflecting on Bo's 468 yrd performance in the winning effort at the Palouse, I hereby rescind any derogatory inference in that post. I pledge to not deride Bo as long as he never throws more than one interception in any game for the remainder of his career at Oregon.  

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Loved the acquisition of Nix from the start. He is a QB, yes... but more so he is a football player. Tough and gritty.

I saw Oregon as a perfect place for him to rise above his reputation. Supper happy he isn't making me look foolish. I need all the help I can get 

With Nix performance yesterday, in my mind, he has solidified himself as an Oregon Duck as much as anybody.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 9:44 AM, Red Eddy Green said:

I pledge to not deride Bo as long as he never throws more than one interception in any game for the remainder of his career at Oregon.

This is the rub we all have to live with...yet a 72% completion rate is a mile beyond what we thought was coming.  I have to embrace what we discussed before...

FISHDUCK.COM

Right now Oregon fans are almost swooning in a classic "honeymoon" phase with new head coach Dan Lanning before any games are played. To a degree...

Mr. FishDuck

Dillingham is not asking too much of Nix and Nix knows he doesn't need to play hero ball. After that pick six he stayed calm and went back to work running the offense. 

Ensuring Nix doesn't need to play hero ball is critical to his success. Few quarterbacks can play hero ball at a consistently high level. So making sure Nix can make the plays he needs to is critical. 

This doesn't mean we keep him restrained to throwing short routes .... He completely has the ability to throw a deep ball. But he has also learned that a loss of a down is better than forcing a throw that could lead to far worse. 

The guy has always been a gamer and has nerves of steel just remember the first game he played in college against the ducks come from behind win with a gutsy throw to the end zone. Seems to be a great leader, stays positive and even thrives off of adversity. 

I don't know how much NIL money he has but he should be taking the offensive line out for steak every week as he's really coming into his own with amazing protection he's had.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm on the Bo Nix bandwagon and I'm the guy who wrote "Beware the Bandwagon Buy In"

The jump Nix has made in his play is AMAZING... this in the new Bo and here is his stat line

His 72% completion that's a 12% increase from last year

His 8.3 yards per attempt is 1.2 yards increase from last year

His 162.4 pass rating is a 30.2 increase from last year

While I was critical of Bo making a jump he has done so. I said I would be happy if he made a jump to the production level Herbs has his senior year as he kept up in the playoff mix until late. 

Bo has made such a jump his has surpassed Herbs senior year stats. Right now, Bo has the highest completion percentage in the Pac-12, tied fourth best passer rating. 

Bo is playing elite, and his pick six I blame on Kenny Dillingham for running the same pass play to the same side of the field back-to-back. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 9/25/2022 at 9:30 AM, lownslowav8r said:

Yes, and yesterday’s interception was tipped. I love watching Nix throw the ball away. He is the main reason the offense is light years ahead of the defense. 

I too, thought it was tipped, and looking at the replay confined it.  Surprised the announcers didn’t notice…

On 9/25/2022 at 9:44 AM, Red Eddy Green said:

I am a man of few words and concise thoughts. Yesterday in a fit of disappointment I simply posted "BO PIX". This morning after reflecting on Bo's 468 yrd performance in the winning effort at the Palouse, I hereby rescind any derogatory inference in that post. I pledge to not deride Bo as long as he never throws more than one interception in any game for the remainder of his career at Oregon.  

That "in game" comment was appropriate.  Those kinds of comments feel like we are sitting in the bleachers together.

I try to hold my emotions in check, but it's very difficult coming from the Grey beard culture where we were coached much more harshly than today.

Anyway, I want Bo's Oregon experience to be the highlight of his life.

I LOVED seeing Thompson and Butterfield rally around him on field right after the win. That tells me a LOT about all three of those souls.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Watch these Bo highlights from yesterday. He looks pretty darn good.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I was thinking about this yesterday evening...

Bo is elusive, and has been given the advantage of an o line that has yet to allow a sack this season.

He did a great job of protecting the ball, dumping it off to the sidelines as the situation warranted.

ward was amazing at times, yet I believe  many coaches would have been in his ear about the risky throws (even though he completed several) that reminded  me  (Not poignantly, either) of the stuff Johnny Football and Famous Jameis stake their reps on.

Amazing what you can get away with when you have the right receivers, eh?

Nix is highly effective , without the theatrics (Anyone wish he was a frosh or sophomore?).

Here's to continued success and development!

On 9/25/2022 at 9:25 AM, NJDuck said:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Bo Nix has been far and away better than expectations at Oregon. It’s time that fans start giving him the credit he deserves.

I have been pleasantly surprised and happy with Bo Nix performance so far.  Yes, there was a pick six and some struggles in the red zone in the WSU game.  But He was outstanding in this game orchestrating a brilliant come from behind win.

Too many silly, forced throws still.  3 pics with 10 TD's, doesn't sound bad but it's when and how they happen that puzzles us.  He's the right QB for the team, tho, and we support him very strongly.

On 9/25/2022 at 9:54 AM, David Marsh said:

This doesn't mean we keep him restrained to throwing short routes .... He completely has the ability to throw a deep ball. But he has also learned that a loss of a down is better than forcing a throw that could lead to far worse. 

The issue was not weather the ball was tipped or picked, it was an interception with the defender having a clear path to his end zone.  And Bo selflessly threw his body to the ball carrier thus creating the low block foul.  So he cost us a TD and 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty.  Dan Lanning likes his competitive nature.  I do too, keeping Bo healthy is just as important though.

Bo, then came back to toss some darts to wide receivers that did not give up on plays.  He continued to  lead the fight for the win.  The players that scored got there because of the blockers, RB's, TE's and coaches that put them in a position to succeed.

I saw you there Franklin, nice job keeping on your feet!  Way to secure that pass and run down field there Mase!  Had any of the players let down during drives or gave up on a play.  Would it have been a win?  Utah, anyone?

Different vibe, different coaching.  Different results.  Really all Bo has to do is play within himself and stay focused.  He showed he is a great leader.  The effort to try and tackle that guy, compared to his counterpart on WSU, holding his head in self pity, different QB's.  We got the leader, the team guy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:01 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I'm on the Bo Nix bandwagon and I'm the guy who wrote "Beware the Bandwagon Buy In"

The jump Nix has made in his play is AMAZING... this in the new Bo and here is his stat line

His 72% completion that's a 12% increase from last year

His 8.3 yards per attempt is 1.2 yards increase from last year

His 162.4 pass rating is a 30.2 increase from last year

While I was critical of Bo making a jump he has done so. I said I would be happy if he made a jump to the production level Herbs has his senior year as he kept up in the playoff mix until late. 

Bo has made such a jump his has surpassed Herbs senior year stats. Right now, Bo has the highest completion percentage in the Pac-12, tied fourth best passer rating. 

Bo is playing elite, and his pick six I blame on Kenny Dillingham for running the same pass play to the same side of the field back-to-back. 

Nice post! I like his grit

Do you think he will face lessor competition overall, this year than previous years?

On 9/25/2022 at 2:44 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Watch these Bo highlights from yesterday. He looks pretty darn good.

Nice to see Franklin, Thornton, Hutson, Chase, Bucky, & Ferguson all get big plays downfiled.  So many weapons to choose from.

On 9/25/2022 at 4:58 PM, woundedknees said:

Amazing what you can get away with when you have the right receivers, eh?

Quote of the year.

Nix finally has an OL and a potent set of WRs.  Not to mention an OC that gets him.  

I really hope they start attacking the deep field more.  In my eyes, it's strike deep for six at least twice if not three times a game.

And yes, lock the game down running the ball with an OL that proved it could handle the best defense Oregon has ever seen in it's 100 plus year history.

This offense could average fifty in conference play if it's that aggressive.

• Great post! 1