Pennsylvania Duck

Stanford vs Ducks: Oregon Favored, But Cardinal Known for Duck Upsets

This week, Oregon will welcome a Stanford team that has loved to play giant killer for the Ducks over the years.

As recently as last season, the Cardinal upset Oregon down in Palo Alto, derailing an early run at the College Football Playoff.

From the FishDuck Feed, the following is a good article to get started thinking about playing Stanford.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks are big home favorites this week against the Cardinal. Despite that, no Oregon fan will feel comfortable with Stanford’s history against ranked UO teams.

I have a number of things to say about the 'Furd, but I will let Alan do it for me in his Saturday Spoof(I've read it already, and it is epic)

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Hopefully I don't jinx - but I feel that OBD this year under this coaching staff should be able to overcome Furd.   No more prevent-O!   I mean, even the fuskies beat them big...

• Thumbs Up 1

I want the Ducks to annihilate Furd this time around and not leave the game in hands of the inept Pac-12 refs to decide.  I'm talking about  blowing them out by 30 points or more and beating them in all aspects of the game. 

I think the Ducks are more than capable, but the defense will need to show up and capitalize on those 3 and outs.  They will need to play with discipline.  As for the offense, they can't leave points on the table in the red zone.

Last season, the FIX was in and MariØ was its enabler.  If MariØ didn't have the Ducks take their foot off the gas, he wouldn't have left the door wide open for a comeback and allowed the refs to rob the Ducks of their win.

It's one thing to have to play against your opponent.  But to have to butt heads with your HC, on top of the controversial officiating crew, with their 3 phantom calls on the final drive, is a recipe for a no-win situation for any team.

• Great post! 1

Time to learn about some of the players on the Cardinals team.

From the FishDuck Feed, here are 5 players we will need to keep under control.

247SPORTS.COM

Know the Foe: Five Washington State players to know

On 9/26/2022 at 6:33 PM, DuckIt said:

I want the Ducks to annihilate Furd this time around

This isn't quite annihilating, but closest I could find...We'll chop that tree down

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I absolutely understand "Stanford angst" but I watched a bit of Stanford against USC and UW and I must say they appear to be far away from the teams that have given the Ducks trouble, and yes even compared to the meltdown last year where - Stanford pulled out a win.

Chaos does happen but I'd say we would need to see a world where the college football world is absolutely turns upside down to see a close game. Stanford is just at a point one week turnarounds are just a massive deal.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:09 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I have a number of things to say about the 'Furd, but I will let Alan do it for me in his Saturday Spoof(I've read it already, and it is epic)

Looking forward to the SS.  

This is a game Oregon should certainly win, hands down.  But the Cardinal are a sneaky bunch, usually quite big and powerful along the front O & D lines.  And Shaw is a cagey guy.  94-45 in 12 seasons.  This guy does more with less talent than anyone else I can think of in the Pac.

The Trees will do what they always do which is, try to control the tempo and eat clock, to minimize Oregon's possessions.  Ducks can't let them.  They need to put them behind on the scoreboard early and set the tone of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the FishDuck Feed, this site will give you a comparison of team/individual stats for Stanford and Oregon.

Start scrolling to see info.

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

View the Stanford Cardinal vs Oregon Ducks football game played on October 01, 2022. Box score, stats, odds, highlights, play-by-play, social & more.

Oregon vs Stanford presents a unique challenge as history suggests chaos in this series

From the FishDuck Feed, see if you remember some of the chaos...

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon Ducks and the Stanford Cardinal have played some of the best games in the Pac-12 over the last decade and a half. The Ducks have won big games down on The

From the FishDuck Feed, Ducks getting ready for Cardinal at practice

Perimeter tackling remains high on Oregon's priority list heading into matchup vs. Stanford

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's perimeter tackling had been an important story for the Ducks' new defense after No. 1 Georgia in the first game of the season.  After that matchup, the

They seem to have lost their top RB.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The Cardinal lose their top rusher to a season-ending injury.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

Stanford injury report also indicates starting offensive tackles questionable to play against Oregon Ducks

From the FishDuck Feed...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Cardinal coach David Shaw said left tackle Walter Rouse, right tackle Myles Hinton and fullback Jay Symonds are all questionable for Saturday’s game (8 p.m., FS1).

Just watching parts of two games, this isn't the Stanford of old. Even compared to last year, I'd say Stanford has dropped another tier this season to this point. I understand the concern, but I absolutely would be more concerned if say Arizona was coming to town.

Colorado seems to be imploding and I don't know you automatically take Stanford over them right now (might depend on the points).

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Wow 1

Hope the Ducks aren't looking past this bunch.  They thrive in Autzen and almost always give us a battle - or worse.  Spread's 15.  They (O) can beat that and make it 24 at least.    Go Ducks!

Stanford Daily: Football Roundtable, Ducks on Deck

A Round Table discussion from Stanford viewpoint

STANFORDDAILY.COM

Stanford football has now failed to reach the win column in eight straight conference games. The path ahead isn’t much easier: This weekend, the Cardinal hit the road to take on their third-straight…

With several key players out with injuries for this weekend games S will need to make this a low-scoring slugfest in the trenches.  Good luck with that.  Right now the Oregon offense engine is beginning to warm the turbo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon's pass defense face a tough big-play threat at receiver in Stanford matchup

Oregon's ability or inability to stop Stanford quarterback Tanner Mckee from going over the top of the defense will be one of the games within the game.

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon Duck secondary will face the Pac-12's most explosive wide receiver in the Pac-12 this season while also playing a quarterback NFL scouts are looking at as a

Stanford always scares me.

They also tend to bring out the worst in me. I'm still embarrassed of myself after the 2018 meltdown.

Needless to say, I'll be watching this game at home by myself.

• Cool 2

Know the Foe: Stanford insider Jackson Moore answers five questions

Get to know the Stanford team better through the eyes of a beat writer of the Cardinal.

From the FishDuck Feed, this article gives you a current status of Stanford football...

247SPORTS.COM

Know the Foe: Stanford insider Jackson Moore answers five questions

Oregon and the Tree: After wild game in 2021, contentious history between Ducks and Stanford grows

From the FishDuck Feed, this article gives a short historical perspective and then takes a look at a few

memorable games, some we would like to forget!

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

From season-ending upsets to statement-making blowouts, the Oregon vs. Stanford rivalry is among the most contentious in the nation.

On 9/27/2022 at 5:23 PM, AnotherOD said:

Just watching parts of two games, this isn't the Stanford of old. Even compared to last year, I'd say Stanford has dropped another tier this season to this point. I understand the concern, but I absolutely would be more concerned if say Arizona was coming to town.

Colorado seems to be imploding and I don't know you automatically take Stanford over them right now (might depend on the points).

Tree was getting its share of good OL recruits that fueled its Power run game. Mario put an end to that and started to bring them big boys to Oregon.

Mario really killed Tree on the OL and their run game has dropped a ton the last three years.  

After the last couple of games, I'm starting to feel some of that cocky optimism I had back during the Mariota days. Kind of feeling like the Ducks can do just about anything (ahem, except beat Georgia or Alabama). That part of me, along with Stanford's injuries and the game being at Autzen, is predicting an Oregon blowout. And....... then there's that rocky history with Stanford.

View from the Booth: Stanford looks to play spoiler in Eugene

From the FishDuck Feed, See what Stanford has to do to spoil it for Ducks

STANFORDDAILY.COM

Columnist Pablo Noyola discusses what this weekend's game means for Stanford football, and what it will take for them to spoil the Ducks' season.

Oregon vs. Stanford: 'Tale of the Tape' for Ducks' revenge game against Cardinal

On paper, Oregon has an edge in nearly every facet of this matchup with Stanford.

In a rivalry game, though, throw all of that out the window.

From the FishDuck Feed today...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

On paper, Oregon has an edge in nearly every facet of this matchup with Stanford. In a rivalry game, though, throw all of that out the window.

What's new with Stanford since Oregon last played the Cardinal?

From the FishDuck Feed, here is a look at what has changed, and what hasn’t changed,

for the Stanford Cardinal heading into Saturday’s late night battle.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Stanford is a familiar foe for the Ducks, but how much has changed since they beat Oregon in OT last season?

Pay back is a b****. Let's show them this ain't no rivalry no more. No mercy. Take no prisoners. Scorched earth. Etc 

Go Ducks Fly High 

Reviewing the Oregon-Stanford series over the past 10 meetings

The rivals have acted as the now defunct Pac-12 North's heavyweights during that time with one

of the two representing the division in the conference title game in nine of the past 11 seasons. 

From the FishDuck Feed...

247SPORTS.COM

Reviewing the Oregon-Stanford series over the past 10 meetings