FishDuck Article

Bo Nix Gives Oregon’s Offense New Life

On Saturday, Oregon’s defense didn’t have many answers for the electric Cameron Ward. Washington State’s talented signal caller gave the Ducks everything they could handle, making ridiculous escapes, off-balance throws and mind-blowing plays time after time. Last year’s Ducks wouldn’t have had the firepower to keep up with the frenetic Cougar offense. Playing from behind certainly wasn’t Oregon’s specialty under ...

FISHDUCK.COM

On Saturday, Oregon's defense didn't have many answers for the electric Cameron Ward. Washington State's talented signal caller gave...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Joshua, you make an excellent argument for Bo Nix!  Your article was a fun read!

Good read Joshua, and thanks.  Who saw this massive progress coming?  Dilly is a quarterback whisperer!

Mr. FishDuck

It is good to be a qb at Oregon again, indeed!

On 9/27/2022 at 7:19 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Good read Joshua, and thanks.  Who saw this massive progress coming?  Dilly is a quarterback whisperer!

Charles, we discussed how Dilly needed to hit on one of his five stars to establish his Cred as QB whisper. 

I think he has done just that whit the first five-star QB up and has two to go in Thompson and Moore. 

Dilly will also be an attractive option to blue-chip transfer QBs that they will want to consider after he turned Bo Nix around. Bo's jump he has made under Dilly is a win in several ways for the Ducks going foward.

FISHDUCK.COM

The pressure to develop the highest-rated quarterback room in Oregon football history lies squarely upon Oregon's 32-year-old offensive coordinator Kenny...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I get the idea there was pressure, but when the bar was so low, I am not sure it should be looked upon as too daunting.

Anthony Brown came to Oregon digressed, and then made an NFL teams roster. I would say if Dilly didn't put up big numbers as compared to the prevent offense he was done.

I will also be the pessimist, realist or just skeptic, but the season isn't over, and I am not ready to crown Nix the next great Oregon Duck qb. His long balls are weak, and we are undoubtedly going to see more mistakes. He is our leader, and our season will hinge on his play, but the season is long.

I hope he continues to develop, but as someone who knows history it is too early to put put him on the Heisman watch list. I hope he gets there, but we have had some truly great qb's and he hasn't crossed that threshold, for me.

WSU was an epic win, but the big games are later in the fall, and that is when heroes are made. I hope he gets there, but I am ready for a bumpy ride. I mean does anyone think Nix can break into the top ten list of Oregon qb's, even the top 20?

Once again I am giving the other side of the argument. I hope I am wrong and his qb rating continues to rise, but I am not holding my breath.

• Let’s hope! 1

All the great Oregon QBs have had head scratching moments:

Harrington threw 5 INTs in the 2000 Civil War 

Dennis Dixon - don't even bring up every year prior to 2007

Mariota held the ball too long at times and had the deer in the headlights look during the 2014 Championship Game

Ride the wave while you can!

It won't last forever, and as previous posters have noted, remember being mad after WINNING last year? I do.

Go Ducks

Go Nix

Huck the Fuskies 

• Great post! 1

On 9/27/2022 at 8:13 AM, Haywarduck said:

I mean does anyone think Nix can break into the top ten list of Oregon qb's, even the top 20?

Saying he builds on what he's shown this season, top 15, could go up or fall out. Mariota, Herbert, Fouts, Thomas, O'Neil, Smith, Ogburn, Dixon, Miller Adams, Masoli, Clemens, Van Brocklin, Berry, Nix.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:13 AM, Haywarduck said:

His long balls are weak

Maybe I'm just happy as hell to see long balls AT ALL, coming off the last 4 seasons, but I'm loving his arm!  His long ball have been hi-light reel material, I don't know what you're seeing... 

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't nix Nix. Bo is playing this season with confidence and skill.

I expect him to improve as his teammates gel.

I hope that Thompson and Butters will get snaps when the situation allows the Ducks to build them into ready reserves.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/27/2022 at 7:21 AM, Haywarduck said:

It is good to be a qb at Oregon again, indeed!

Unless you are TT or JButter, that is...   Don't really what to make of the situation, esp. with Nix performing at this level.   He can stay one more year at OBD right?  And we have another 5-star coming in?

On 9/27/2022 at 1:11 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Unless you are TT or JButter, that is...   Don't really what to make of the situation, esp. with Nix performing at this level.   He can stay one more year at OBD right?  And we have another 5-star coming in?

That is a great question, is it great to be a back-up in a system which seems to be developing qb's? With Robby showing the talent which was on the sideline last year I would think it is an interesting time to be on the bench. 

One certainly wouldn't want to be in south Florida as a qb, back-up or starting. Not just because of Ian hitting land soon.

I think the program is in great shape with our qb's. Next season we should be in great shape too. One of the three will stick around and with Moore coming in the future looks bright.

I would want to be on Oregon's bench ready to take over an offense which is performing well. I wouldn't want to be on the bench of a program which can't score or showcase a qb's talent.

A program always needs at two good qb's and right now we have three, and next season we should have at least 2. All is good, and right now Nix is leading well and helping develop the young guys. Not sure there is a better situation.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:17 AM, 30Duck said:

Saying he builds on what he's shown this season, top 15, could go up or fall out. Mariota, Herbert, Fouts, Thomas, O'Neil, Smith, Ogburn, Dixon, Miller Adams, Masoli, Clemens, Van Brocklin, Berry, Nix.

Whoever this fool, 30Duck is left Bill Musgrave off his list. Maybe 16 for Nix. 

On 9/27/2022 at 7:38 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Charles, we discussed how Dilly needed to hit on one of his five stars to establish his Cred as QB whisper. 

I think he has done just that whit the first five-star QB up and has two to go in Thompson and Moore. 

Dilly will also be an attractive option to blue-chip transfer QBs that they will want to consider after he turned Bo Nix around. Bo's jump he has made under Dilly is a win in several ways for the Ducks going foward.

FISHDUCK.COM

The pressure to develop the highest-rated quarterback room in Oregon football history lies squarely upon Oregon's 32-year-old offensive coordinator Kenny...

Talk about pressure!

I guess I hadn't thought all the ramification thru this far but wow.  Barring serious injury/s or sudden transfer portal activity,  or ???, this stable (as DnzC calls it) of  QB's is gonna be scary.  Scary for O's opponents and scary for DL & KD both in how they handle this much 'wealth' all at once.  We'll see if it comes to pass ...

On 9/27/2022 at 12:50 PM, DuckFan33 said:

Maybe I'm just happy as hell to see long balls AT ALL, coming off the last 4 seasons, but I'm loving his arm!  His long ball have been hi-light reel material, I don't know what you're seeing... 

He has had some amazing throws and some very clutch throws. He is an extremely good qb, and I'm glad he is at Oregon. I wish him only good things. 

My point is the long ball to Donte didn't lead him so he was tackled. The ball to Hutson, I believe, he fell when catching as it was too long. I know I am being picky, but it seems to be a weakness, to me.

I also realize not everyone can throw a long ball like Vernon use to for us to be considered a very good qb.

Nix is willing to take chances and it makes for a more interesting game, although a bit risky at times. However he looks comfortable-or confident at least.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:41 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks Joshua, you make an excellent argument for Bo Nix!  Your article was a fun read!

Thank you for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

On 9/27/2022 at 10:19 AM, Charles Fischer said:

He looks like a completely different player, and I certainly did not see this level of progress coming.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:38 AM, DazeNconfused said:

FISHDUCK.COM

Very impressive to see what Dillingham has been able to do with Nix. I can't wait to see what he's able to do with other QBs down the road.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:13 AM, Haywarduck said:

I get the idea there was pressure, but when the bar was so low, I am not sure it should be looked upon as too daunting.

Anthony Brown came to Oregon digressed, and then made an NFL teams roster. I would say if Dilly didn't put up big numbers as compared to the prevent offense he was done.

I will also be the pessimist, realist or just skeptic, but the season isn't over, and I am not ready to crown Nix the next great Oregon Duck qb. His long balls are weak, and we are undoubtedly going to see more mistakes. He is our leader, and our season will hinge on his play, but the season is long.

I hope he continues to develop, but as someone who knows history it is too early to put put him on the Heisman watch list. I hope he gets there, but we have had some truly great qb's and he hasn't crossed that threshold, for me.

WSU was an epic win, but the big games are later in the fall, and that is when heroes are made. I hope he gets there, but I am ready for a bumpy ride. I mean does anyone think Nix can break into the top ten list of Oregon qb's, even the top 20?

Once again I am giving the other side of the argument. I hope I am wrong and his qb rating continues to rise, but I am not holding my breath.

Well, I think if we were making marginal offensive progress, it wouldn't be much to write home about, but the offense has really, really hummed since the UGA game. I mean, over 600 yards of offense against a surprisingly good WSU defense is noteworthy, and the fact that we're 17th nationally in total offense despite doing absolutely nothing against UGA just speaks to how dominant the unit has been since.

I'm certainly not crowning Nix as the next great Oregon QB, just really impressed with his improvement, and his play has been the biggest reason the offense has improved so dramatically. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2022 at 6:23 AM, Joshua Whitted said:

I'm certainly not crowning Nix as the next great Oregon QB, just really impressed with his improvement, and his play has been the biggest reason the offense has improved so dramatically. 

It's quite obvious to viewers that Bo Nix is getting good coaching and (just as importantly) paying attention to it.  For this he deserves much credit and Duck fans should be extremely pleased - as I'm sure we are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Very good article, Joshua, and an accurate read on Nix. My observation is that the Oregon offense under Dillingham has him playing to his skill set, which is accurate reads, short to medium range passes and controlled runs, planned off the RPO or scrambles when he needs to get out of the pocket.

Nix's long ball is not his strength. In reviewing passing attempts over 30 yds, he more often than not will slightly over or under throw the ball. Luckily most of them are catchable. The long completions to Franklin and Hutson at WSU required each to break stride just a bit. One of the long passes in the BYU game led the receiver just a bit too much and he wasn't able to reach the endzone and the great catch by Franklin was a bit behind him.

This tendency to underthrow was the reason the first pick in the Georgia game occurred, albeit to a very talented DB that played it perfectly. I'll bet Smart coached his secondary to that tendency given his familiarity with Nix.

On the flip side, Bo's TD pass to Franklin late in the WSU game was on a dime, and the 4th and 2 completion to Irving was perfect. It was a do or die play and the reason Oregon came back to win. Both of those passes were in the 25-30yd range where Nix is most effective.

With the O-line giving him a relatively clean pocket, Nix has the time to launch down the field, but his real strength is that medium pass. He is really accurate on those and can pick apart a defense. Oregon has the speedy receivers to get significant YAC, so that medium game is money.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/27/2022 at 6:24 PM, Haywarduck said:

He has had some amazing throws and some very clutch throws. He is an extremely good qb, and I'm glad he is at Oregon. I wish him only good things. 

My point is the long ball to Donte didn't lead him so he was tackled. The ball to Hutson, I believe, he fell when catching as it was too long. I know I am being picky, but it seems to be a weakness, to me.

I also realize not everyone can throw a long ball like Vernon use to for us to be considered a very good qb.

Ahhh Vernon..  Yea his deep passes were incredible... Hard to beat him in that department. 

When Bo came to Oregon there were a lot of fans that pushed against him as a starter and a Duck. It was understandable why. 

Amazing how he has won the hearts of even the staunchest critics. Dudes a baller. As of last Saturday, he solidified himself as a Duck as much as anyone ever has.

There will always be some that will reject Nix no matter what. Short of a NC win. He will always be under the microscope. I think he embraces that.

Nix was perfect in the last few minutes of the Cougs game. I think his best is yet to come. Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2022 at 1:07 PM, Log Haulin said:

When Bo came to Oregon there were a lot of fans that pushed against him as a starter and a Duck. It was understandable why. 

Amazing how he has won the hearts of even the staunchest critics. Dudes a baller. As of last Saturday, he solidified himself as a Duck as much as anyone ever has.

There will always be some that will reject Nix no matter what. Short of a NC win. He will always be under the microscope. I think he embraces that.

Nix was perfect in the last few minutes of the Cougs game. I think his best is yet to come. Go Ducks!

I was a skeptic - but he has done the things I said he needed to do to improve. The jump he has made is amazing.

The best late bloomer since Joe Burrow. I'm all in and riding the Bo Bandwagon, even if he has a rough game. All QBs do.

Joshua did a good article at the right time.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 1:19 PM, DazeNconfused said:

I was a skeptic - but he has done the things I said he needed to do to improve.

I wouldn't even say it was skepticism, I go with open minded. The Georgia came was awful. But instead of falling off a ledge he's had a three game span as good as any Duck QB has ever had. Perfect? Of course not. But 

On 9/29/2022 at 1:19 PM, DazeNconfused said:

even if he has a rough game. All QBs do.

I'm confident he'll respond with good play going forward. The WSU game hopefully galvanized the Ducks.